Thread: Polish or Not Polish the Savage .243 Brass

ClassicCannons

Cool Polish or Not Polish the Savage .243 Brass

I just polished the brass for reloading my rounds and i had thourly cleaned them inside and out whats your thougth on polishing let me know they look much much nicer I'd say.

wow---that brass looks real nice.
    heck if youve got the time and patience?.....polish away...(providing what ever agents your using doesnt alter any alloys that make up the brass)
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I've never polished, just used plain corn cob media.

Basic Member
    I like shiny brass. That way, even if I shoot like poop, I look good doing it

I have a simple method....walnut media with car polish. One cleans while the other polishes.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

I resize my brass and throw it in the tumbler(walnut media) for about four hours, wipe it clean and reload. Looks OK, but by all means polish if you want. They look fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    I have a simple method....walnut media with car polish. One cleans while the other polishes.
    Sounds great. Liquid or paste car polish?

gotcha
    Polished brass looks nice but, more importantly it removes grit and contamination from brass to prevent scratching your Die internals.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    I resize my brass and throw it in the tumbler(walnut media) for about four hours, wipe it clean and reload. Looks OK, but by all means polish if you want. They look fantastic!

Sounds great. Liquid or paste car polish?
    Liquid....just make a couple of quick trips around the media with it. You'll be amazed and delighted.
    Just be sure to use POLISH, not wax.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Liquid....just make a couple of quick trips around the media with it. You'll be amazed and delighted.
    Just be sure to use POLISH, not wax.
    I will definitely try this!

Thank you.

ClassicCannons
    Here's the lot of them polished they look cool. And i must agree not only would they be easier to see any cracks but it's smoother for the barrel. I just wonder if you polish the bullet itself would that make it more accurate since their would be less drag. I know I'm sure it's useless to do but what the heck.

Also on the bottom picture the shell got crushed out of 100= reloads thats the only one that did that is that because when it was resized it was to small of a dia and the case was to small

Cases all trimmed to the same length? Were they crimped? The case may have been pushed into the crimp ring in the die.

Bike Effects
    I tumble in Stainless media. Brass looks better than new and I take pride in how my ammo looks. It makes ME feel good.

Basic Member
    I tumble mine in my sons rock tumbler with stainless steel pins and an organic lemon cleaner.

It is an extra step but I inspect my brass for safety reasons and really want a good clean look at it before I prime and drop the charge in. My paranoia but it hasn't failed me yet.

Basic Member
    I don't care about having the prettiest brass on the firing line. I do care about having my cases clean enough that any flaws in them are easily detected as I prep the pieces for reloading. For me, it ain't about pretty; it's about safety.

ClassicCannons
    Hello Gary Yes i had mic'd them all after trimming and chamfering them I won that Mitutoyo laser mic so i,m making a vee-block jig to sheck the dia of the case's next i know it was a expensive toy to buy but i need it for the bushing and i have a neat idea for a jig for checking the length also. Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Cases all trimmed to the same length? Were they crimped? The case may have been pushed into the crimp ring in the die.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicCannons View Post

I just wonder if you polish the bullet itself would that make it more accurate since their would be less drag. I know I'm sure it's useless to do but what the heck.
    I was told by a trusted source, a retired Marine who went through sniper school taught by none other than Carlos Hathcock, that they routinely polished their 50 BMG cal bullets. But then, they were shooting to 2000 yds.

BW