Thread: best way to remove anti-sieze

Violentstreak

best way to remove anti-sieze

Just swapped my first barrel, thanks to the help of the intarw3bz and NSS. Great way to celebrate the holiday, methinks. Headspace is set, almost ready for the range.

I have learned a lot in this process, one valuable lesson learned is that anti-seize is a f'ing mess. It is EVERYWHERE. Whats the best way to clean this off my action?

Basic Member
    Carb cleaner or lacquer thinner.

BTW, you don't need to use anti-sieze, a shot of your favorite oil will do just a well without the mess. I use Break-Free only because about dozen bottle of the stuff.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Since i live on a farm and have lots of grease of different types around i just use hi-temp grease. Haven't galled the threads on a barrel yet. Never-sieze is a real pain. As Bill said carb cleaner or maybe a good soaking in gas (outside of course) with some hand washing. (I'm Old-School so kids don't try this at home unless you understand how to not singe your eyebrows if you happen to screw up. Also no smoking allowed.)
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Nothing wrong with Anti-Seize. You just used too much of it. Just the smallest of dabs on the first two threads is plenty. A drop of oil is also good.

You can clean it up with almost anything. Some of your rifle oil on a rag will do just fine.

I"ll bet you've got it cleaned up already? :-))

Ed's Red is what I use.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

308 Hunter
    As some others have said, if Anti-Seize is used, it should be very lightly applied.

Violentstreak
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Nothing wrong with Anti-Seize. You just used too much of it. Just the smallest of dabs on the first two threads is plenty. A drop of oil is also good.

You can clean it up with almost anything. Some of your rifle oil on a rag will do just fine.

I"ll bet you've got it cleaned up already? :-))

Nail polish remover and some oil on a rag did the trick.

Violentstreak
    Yeah, that lesson could have only been learned the hard way I think, next time I will use a lot less anti-seize.

One thing is for sure, those threads will never, ever seize. I probably used enough for several rifles on the barrel and action threads, oh well. :D