Thread: Owner Questions for the Dick's Sporting Goods .243 Combo w/ Heavy Barrel

Bowhunter57

Owner Questions for the Dick's Sporting Goods .243 Combo w/ Heavy Barrel

Dick's Sporting Goods has an exclusive Savage rifle, that comes in .223, .22-250, .243 and .308 calibers. It has a 3x9 Bushnell scope, removable magazine and a 24" heavy barrel, for $579.

I'd like to purchase the .243, but would like to hear from those that own this rifle, about its' accuracy.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

1375619cm3
    I have one got it about a year ago. 100 yards 3-5 shot groups are sub moa. Ive been shooting at 300 yards and my groups are getting smaller just about moa w factory ammo. Longest shot ive taken was 340 yards on a ground hog and it was accurate. They are great entry base rifles. I am planning on replacing factory stock n scope in the near future. These rifles have been covered in depth about 3 months ago in a few different threads and all of tge feed backs have been positive.
    Cody

Bowhunter57
    Thank you, for the positive reply.

I will be reloading for this rifle, to increase the accuracy and get the best ballistics, as the rifle will attain. This will be a coyote rifle and the occasional groundhog will eat a few bullets too. I'm having a custom trigger installed (Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply) and will be using a Weaver 4x16 for optics.

I used to own a Savage, in .22-250 with a heavy varmint barrel, but sold it to a Marine Corps friend, to purchase a Rock River Arms A4 Varmint. The RRA was very accurate, but lacked the killing power of the .22-250. I regret selling it. ...and hope to redeem myself with this Savage .243 rifle. I'm purchasing it on Thursday.

Bowhunter57

Basic Member
    If it were me, I'd get a used 10 or 110 for $250-$290 and put an after market barrel for $180-300 and put the SSS trigger on it as you said and maybe a boyd's stock.

Good barrels avail from Apache Gun Works for about $180 or $300 will get you MCGowen, CBI, Etc.

Bowhunter57
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx
    If it were me, I'd get a used 10 or 110 for $250-$290 and put an after market barrel for $180-300 and put the SSS trigger on it as you said and maybe a boyd's stock.

Good barrels avail from Apache Gun Works for about $180 or $300 will get you MCGowen, CBI, Etc.
    foxx,
    A good suggestion, but I have a Stevens 200 in .25-06 that I could to the same thing with and not have to purchase the Savage .243. A Stevens rifle is a pre-Accu Trigger Savage. The issue I have with it, is the 22" sporter barrel, not producing the accuracy that I'm attempting to attain. A 5/8" group at 100 yards and 1 1/4" group at 200 yards is NOT impressing me. The above mentioned .22-250 shot 5 out of 5 in a 1 hole group at 100 yards and 5 out of 5 inside a penny at 200 yards.

I'll do some research on barrels, before making this purchase.
    Bowhunter57

Basic Member
    Bowhunter, I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is you take your chances with Savage and/or Stevens factory barrels. Some shoot 1/3 MOA and some do not, but all seem to shoot 1 moa or better with good hand loads. Rather than send $570 on a new one and risk getting a good shooter, I would get a used action (Stevens or Savage are all the same) and put a quality aftermarket barrel on it. I have done several and this forum is loaded with accounts of people getting 1/2 to 1/4 MOA rifles doing so. Simply said, put your money into aftermarket barrel and trigger, because the factory actions are all good, new or used. Total cost would be less than or a little more than the Dick's deal.
    Last edited by foxx; 07-09-2014 at 10:32 AM.

1375619cm3
    Fox is got a good point. The best 5 shot group w factory ammo ive shot is .3 moa at 100. Rifle might due better in a more seasoned shooter and handloads since im just over moa at 300. If I change calibers or decide on something different im going to go w a aftermarket barrel and keep the rest the same except the trigger

suberjc
    If you want a .243/6mm:

Get a used Savage. Rip the barrel out and put in single shot follower. Screw on a Brux (or whatever) 8 twist barrel in 6br Norma. Shoot Berger 105 hunting VLDs over anyone's SR BR primer and 30 grains of Varget. Load it 10 in the lands. Assertions that all rifles are different notwithstanding, it'll shoot bugholes. Accuracy problems will become a thing of the past.

Bowhunter57
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx
    Simply said, put your money into aftermarket barrel and trigger, because the factory actions are all good, new or used. Total cost would be less than or a little more than the Dick's deal.
    foxx,
    I see your point and it makes more sense, than the purchase of another rifle and starting from scratch. I'll check into the barrel companies you mentioned and go from there.

Bowhunter57