Thread: C'mon folks...

forger

C'mon folks...

Things are awfully quiet on this excellent website in relation to some others. With the varmint season coming on, surely there is some activity starting with varmint hunting.
    I would like to post a photo of my first woodchuck kill of the season, using my new Savage 93G with bull barrel. I would do so, except I am not very handy with my computer. I did post it on Marlinowners and Graybeard's because it's easy to do..no 3rd party site hassle, since the "additional options" includes a browse feature where I can upload directly from my pictures.
    In any case..with varmint season starting..lets hear about it ..and post pics if you can.

Basic Member

Re: C'mon folks...

A few days ago I put this one in the "Savage killed kyotes" section for your viewing enjoyment.

12 VLP .204 ruger, 100 yards.

[IMG width=600 height=400]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad135/rivergrant/040.jpg[/img]

forger

Not only a great shot and kill..but some great photography as well. Beautiful photo...

piercedone

[img width=337 height=450]http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/hog11.jpg[/img]

Well here is my first one for the year here in MI. Still been a little cold but this week is warming up and the chucks are popping.
    He was hit by a savage 110 LH in 22-250 using a 50gr vmax bullet. Ive hit others and they didnt have such as big wound channel so I think its just how I hit him that put a hole in him like that. He musta weighed 10-15lbs also. Casing is for comparison of size.

firemachine69

Up here, we don't have p-dogs, and wolves/foxes/'yotes are considered "small game", i.e. all currently "out of season".

Sad place to live right now.

Uncle Jack

Where is "up here"? You don't list a location in your profile.

uj

forger

Piercedon;
    The chuck I was speaking of, I shot with my new Savage 93R17 GV (17HRM of course) was hit just like that but 3/4" lower. It didn't make a hole like that though ! :D Actually, it made a .17 going in and about a .20 going out the back. I was using .17 gr hollowpoints. I also have had a NEF in .17 HRM for a couple years and IMO the the V.max bullets do a more deadly job on chucks than the HP..perhaps on a deeper body (coyote?) the hollow point may fully open, but for woodchucks I prefer the V-max..esp Hornady.
    As I said, I am not competent enough to post pics from a third server so I brought my post over from GBO, where I am Ironglow.
    I do hope this is not bad manners...
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...#msg1099055753

lostart

Forger,

FWIW, I have heard that most of the hmr ammo is made in the same factory and that the only thing different is the tip color. Remmington, CCI, and Hornaday should all be the same. That said, hornadays are generally cheaper. I am partial to the remmington ammo, but I think that it's all in my head. The hollow points aret great for coyotes if you can get them in close enough. They don't cause as much pelt damage as the v-max and are very deadly.

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack

uj

Mid-northern Ontario. In Canada.

Our conservation laws are pretty strict. Not sure how it is out there, but up here, if they catch you walking around in the bush with a loaded firearm, they automatically consider you to be poaching - thus resulting in you losing just about everything 'cept the shirt on your back... And even then...

forger

Firemachine;
    Wow..that's pretty rough, I hate to go into the woods without a rifle..just habit I guess. Here, in rural western NY State, there is always something in open season, if nothing more than red squirrels and woodchucks.

Lostart;
    It has been my understanding that all HMR ammo is made by CCI..but to the buyer's specifications, which can of course vary according to powder type, primer etc. In pronouncing the Hornady's as favorite I am going on my experience with the NEF rather than my new Savage. From my range setup work so far, I do know that this Savage is wonderfully accurate.

lostart

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
    CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501

Got this from .17HMR.net. I am not saying that it is fact, but after shooting all of the brands, I believe it. I have also heard your information.

forger

Lostart;
    For being identical, there seems to be at times, a rather wide spread in prices between "brands"..but then who knows, some could be going into buying the "rights" to certain bullets or processes.

TT3270WSM

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack

uj

Mid-northern Ontario. In Canada.

Our conservation laws are pretty strict. Not sure how it is out there, but up here, if they catch you walking around in the bush with a loaded firearm, they automatically consider you to be poaching - thus resulting in you losing just about everything 'cept the shirt on your back... And even then...
    Yup, BANtario (capital city - MORONto) is a crappy place to live if you like to blast critters! I live in Manitoba, this time of year is great for shootin' gophers, crows, magpies, and yes even the odd woodchuck! ;D They even cancelled the spring bear hunt....crazy I tells ya!

As a fellow Canadian, I feel for ya! 8)

Keeping in time with the OP, I have been out a couple of times, managed to connect on a dozen or so 13 stripped gophers with my 22-250 and 50 gr Blitz Kings. Turns 'em to dust

Basic Member

There ya go forger! Stuck it on my site, hope you don't mind.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/first_of_season.jpg[/img]

xNHDx

[img width=600 height=449]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/haydenblaster/redswine.jpg[/img]

forger

Handirifle;
    Thank you very much..I'm sorely deficient with my PC skills. I appreciate your help.

Thanks to all who have posted pics. I would like to see this website boom. I think a lot of folks, especially the rimfire types, are getting the word about Savage accuracy.