Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripped my Boyds Tacticool stock...now what.

Basic Member

I'll try a few more coats to see what it does. Then maybe some try oil. Letting it dry for a few days maybe it will take more stain if its dried totally.

Basic Member
    Would I be able to paint right over or would I have to strip the stain off?

Basic Member
    Well i waited 2 days for 1st coat to dry. Looks a lot better. The color has faded and the orange color has mostly gone away.

I then sanded lightly with 220 wiped the dust off with a cloth and rubbed the 2nd coat in.

here's pictures of the 2nd coat and the last one is the 2nd coat after 3hr. it was still a little sticky so ill wait untill tomorrow before doing more.

2nd coat after 3hr of drying

So i will be sticking with this i will do at least 1 more coat maybe 2 before put a clear coat on it. not sure what to use yet. I'm thinking something not to shiny, but can't decide yet.

Basic Member
    what are you currently coating it with? If it's Tru-oil, there's no need to add a clear coat of anything. Just keep adding more Tru-oil. Eventually it will get glossier. If you get more gloss than you like, it can be softened with pumice powder. (buy $3 pumice stone from Lowe's and run it along a large file to create the powder)

If you wat to speed-up the process, rub a small amount of Armor-All into the finish justbefore applying your next coat of Tru-oil. Rub it all in together, it will dry and harden in a few minutes or 1/2 hour... repeat. You can get 10-15 thin coats applied in an evening. Stop when you get the sheen you like.

Basic Member
    Zar brand onyx black stain is all I have put on it so far. The can says to darken sand and apply again .

Basic Member
    oh. For finish, I would recommend boiled linseed oil or Tru-oil and armor-all. I see no reason to use Tru-oil witout the armor-all. It really speeds up the process.

Basic Member
    Have you shot this yet? The recoil lug looks like it may be seated to deep. You'll know when ya shoot and it jumps the lug. Really not a fan of this lug in the stock business. If you put it in the notch of the barrel nut/reciever when bedding it its probably fine and just the camera angle making it look deep to me.

Basic Member
    Yeah its a little deep. I have it bedded and shot it like that and its fine. Not a fan of the lug in stock thing ether but its an accurate gun.

Basic Member
    Yeah I learned the hardway on that one. Now they come with a warning sticker and torque specs. Pretty sure the first ones I did suggested torque was 22-24 inch pounds my latest said 34 if I remember correctly. But yeah I had a real mess had to grind everything out and start all over because of the lug being to deep.

Basic Member
    I know were getting a little off topic, but what is your thought on just putting a real "normal" recoil lug on, obisly have to drill out the stock and bed that in etc.. but i would rather do that than try and make the in stock one "better".

Basic Member
    I think there is an article posted here on it. Seems like a lot of time and expense unless you have access to a mill. Though it would be the best solution undoubtedly. On the other hand the original seems to work fine when properly installed. Lots.of 30-06 axis's around and they pack a lot more whollup then s/a cartridges.

Basic Member
    back on track...

3rd coat of ZEN onyx black stain.. This time i only used a little steel wool before applying stain, and I have put this layer stain on heavy using the rag like a brush.
    i plain on using a polyurethane to finish.

Thanks for all the involvement guys. Its been fun sharing project pictures with you.

Basic Member
    It's getting there. :)

Basic Member
    Yep I'm liking it more and more.

reynoldsfamily3
    I like it darkened up like that.

Basic Member
    1st coat of clear polyurethane. I'm likening it.

Basic Member
    This is looking pretty good! I wonder how a pepper laminate would take to a color stain?

Basic Member
    Just put 2nd and final Polly coat on. After it drys I'll assemble and post pictures tomorrow or next day.

So the question still remains... Do I remove the black duracoat from the stainless barrel and action? I was never really a fan of black on black.

Basic Member
    Going for a fancy F-Class range queen look?

Basic Member
    Yeah kinda. Was thinking just a fun range gun with a story.

Basic Member
    2nd coat dried. Partly assembled haven't put the recoil pad on or sling studs.

I'm liking it so far :)

What do you guys think? its not perfect don't look to close.

Basic Member
    Looks interesting.

Basic Member
    Personally, for the range only, I like ss on a black stock

Basic Member
    Finished stock. Sanded duracoat off and polished the barrel and action to neer merror finish. Waiting for ss trigger guard from Boyds. Soon i want to make a larger tacticool bolt handle.

I'll try and post nicer pictures this weekend. So far so happy with it. :)

I'd say that looks pretty good compared to the factory finish. You now have an awesome stock with character, and since you've got sweat into it, it will mean more than just an off the shelf stock.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast