Thread: What cleaning patch on your 17cal?

What cleaning patch on your 17cal?

What cleaning patches do you use for your 17cal?

I bought a 1000 of the Southern Bloomers Cotton Knit patches to use on my 17wsm but these are too big to put on an eyelet and push through the barrel.
    If I cut them in two, it works “OK”…. I end up just pulling a snake through it.

I use Southern Bloomers on all my other calibers I shoot without a problem and really like them!

Just wondering what others are using....
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

n4ue
    Although I am NOT a bbl maker, I agree with a lot of them about 'overcleaning damage'. I have 5 HMRs and a 17 Hornet. I like and use the boresnake also.
    Although most guys haven't caught on (or don't believe in it), I coat all my bbls and bullets with HBN. Info on this process can be found on 6mmbr.com. Obviously, only the bore can be prepped with HBN in HMR....
    To do this, I simply use a .17 cal bronze brush that has been slightly reduced in dia. It's a problem getting the right threads for the 17 cal brushes and most cleaning rods, but it is possible.
    I then put a piece of 't' shirt material and swab the bore after each shooting session. Sometimes I clean with Kroil, clean and reapply the HBN......

werks fer me....

ron

Bike Effects
    Pro-Shot 3/4" square patches on a spear tip jag. Pro-Shot #3/4-1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Effects View Post
    Pro-Shot 3/4" square patches on a spear tip jag. Pro-Shot #3/4-1000.
    I thought about trying a jag instead of a eyelet...The patches I have measure 3/4 also.
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Although I am NOT a bbl maker, I agree with a lot of them about 'overcleaning damage'. I have 5 HMRs and a 17 Hornet. I like and use the boresnake also.
    Although most guys haven't caught on (or don't believe in it), I coat all my bbls and bullets with HBN. Info on this process can be found on 6mmbr.com. Obviously, only the bore can be prepped with HBN in HMR....
    To do this, I simply use a .17 cal bronze brush that has been slightly reduced in dia. It's a problem getting the right threads for the 17 cal brushes and most cleaning rods, but it is possible.
    I then put a piece of 't' shirt material and swab the bore after each shooting session. Sometimes I clean with Kroil, clean and reapply the HBN......

werks fer me....

ron
    n4ue do you have the loss of FPS problem when using the HBN process and have to add more powder to compensate for this? Also where do you get the HBN these days?

Basic Member
    Cut Q-tips in half. Then push and thread the stick end into your cleaning rod. They fit the bore very well.

Basic Member
    Push the point of the jag thru a corner of the patch instead of in the center.
    Works anytime the patches are too tight.

Basic Member
    You want to keep the rod spinning as it is pushed from chamber to muzzle.

1. Make sure you have an appropriately sized bore guide with a solvent port at the rear.
    2. I would suggest 3/4" ROUND patches on the end of a jag. There is a lot less actual area of the patch and it will spin without much resistance at all compared to a square patch.

Basic Member
    I bought a pack of Southern Bloomers and they are nearly worthless. Way too stretchy and the jag pops through with only minimal resistance. Maybe mine were made from the waistband?

On most calibers I use Pro-Shot. For 17 and 22 I use Hoppes 9 .22-.270. They are papery, tough and thinner than other patches.

KingstonRoadGunners
    Here is a product I use...you can find them on Ebay...use a 22 cal patch with it...

http://borewire.com

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonRoadGunners View Post
    Here is a product I use...you can find them on Ebay...use a 22 cal patch with it...

http://borewire.com

Those are pretty cool...Thanks!