Thread: Scope Choice. Savage 12 FTR

SteelerNation

Scope Choice. Savage 12 FTR

Hi Guys:

I wouldn’t mind hearing some input about my top choice for my Savage 12 ftr.

Sightron 8-32x56 SIII 30mm Riflescope

It’s a dedicated target rifle and (one day) I would like to be able to push it (and myself) out to 1000 yard targets. However, I think for the time being (i.e. next year or so), I’ll be shooting regularly up to 300-500 yards.

A lot of reading, and a lot of recommendations pushed me toward the Sightron system. The reticle I think would be most useful to me is the MOA-2. I’m not a big fan of just crosshairs, nor crosshairs with a single central dot. Id like to use the MOA to start learning to calculate distances and shooting targets at unknown distances….

What are your thoughts on this model? This scope has tactical turrets, but is available with target turrets too.

If anyone out there owns ANY Sightron, and can compare it to similar Nightforce, S&B, etc. I would love to hear.

Basic Member
    The Sightron is a good choice. I have swapped all but one rifle to Sightron. To me they are on par with Nightforce and better than the VX3 i had. Go ahead and put a 20 MOA base on and you will never have to change your setup.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

SteelerNation
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    The Sightron is a good choice. I have swapped all but one rifle to Sightron. To me they are on par with Nightforce and better than the VX3 i had. Go ahead and put a 20 MOA base on and you will never have to change your setup.
    Awesome!

I just bought the EGW savage f class mount in 20 MOA.

SteelerNation
    The other thought was the fixed 10X42 model at a bit more than half the price. I think the magnification will be nice though. And I know the higher the magnification, the larger the objective has to be to gather the required amount of light to make it useful. They have these in 60 mm objective size too. The only thing about that is I wonder if my 20moa base will be sufficient to clear it?

beta1759
    Check out the new Leupold VX-6 7-42x56mm (34mm). Leupold build it with input from the US FTR team i believe. It comes with the 1/8 adjustments, a CDS dials, and a TMOA (target moa?) reticle.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ummer-release/

SteelerNation
    Forgot to ask the benchrest shooters out there...

If 1000 yards is in my future, would it be best to go with 1/8th MOA turrets or will 1/4 MOA turrets be OK?

beta1759
    I use a leupold competition 40x on my long range target rifle (600 yards is as long range as our club has). I figured that the 1/8 adjustments will give me more precision that the 1/4 adjustments (1 click = .75 inches vs 1.5 inches as 600). I feel that if you have a high quality scope, you might as well let it do the heavy lifting and all you need to do is aim and pull the trigger.

I am waiting for the VX-6 7-42 to come out so i can get my grubby hands on them. If you haven't had a chance to look at the VX-6 line from Leupold i would highly recommend that you do. They are on par with the high end Sworos and Zeiss as a fraction of the cost. Plus you can't beat their warranty and the fact they are a US company that designs, manufactures, and assembles their optics in the US also help.

SteelerNation
    Quote Originally Posted by beta1759 View Post
    I use a leupold competition 40x on my long range target rifle (600 yards is as long range as our club has). I figured that the 1/8 adjustments will give me more precision that the 1/4 adjustments (1 click = .75 inches vs 1.5 inches as 600). I feel that if you have a high quality scope, you might as well let it do the heavy lifting and all you need to do is aim and pull the trigger.

I am waiting for the VX-6 7-42 to come out so i can get my grubby hands on them. If you haven't had a chance to look at the VX-6 line from Leupold i would highly recommend that you do. They are on par with the high end Sworos and Zeiss as a fraction of the cost. Plus you can't beat their warranty and the fact they are a US company that designs, manufactures, and assembles their optics in the US also help.
    I do own a Luepold. A Mark AR Model 1 6-18X 40. Very nice glass. Just got my sightron in as well. Optical clarity on both, relative to magnification, are great.

beta1759
    what is your price range?

SteelerNation
    Quote Originally Posted by beta1759 View Post
    what is your price range?
    Already bought a Sightron SIII 8-32X56 with the MOA-2 reticle. Just came in today. So for, it looks great!

Unless you've already mounted it, you shouldn't need the 20 MOA base for your distance; unless that Sightron just doesn't have squat for adjustment range.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.