Thread: I need the article about the stock guns used by the Savage F class team

Basic Member

I need the article about the stock guns used by the Savage F class team

HELP

There was an article/press release after (?) the Savage F class team won the world championshipin 2009 that the spokesman from Savage said that the guns were straight production guns.

I'm loving that team Savage just won the US team championship in Sacramento this week. I'm breaking it off in all the remmy lover's on another site.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

Re: I need the article about the stock guns used by the Savage F class team

All the guns were straight production guns, but I think every team member "personalized " their respective guns to suit them. Monte Melinuk could tell you.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

scaxeman

All the rifles we used were either stock Mod.12 F-T/R's or stock Mod.12 Palma's in .308. The only "customizations" were variations in cheek-pieces and bipods. Exceptions to this were: John ran his usual right-bolt, left port variant (available as a special order rifle), I ran a Palma chassis (action and stock) with a standard F-T/R barrel attached as an experiment.

For the record-breaking 1000 yard Team match, everyone was running Nightforce topped Mod.12 F-T/R's with 155.5 grain Berger BT bullets. For added emphasis, if we were competing in F-Open class, we would have finished in 4th place out of 11 F-Open teams. Considering they are all running 6.5-284's and 7mm Mags, not too bad. ;D

Hope this helps,

Darrell Buell
    Team Savage/Team USA

Basic Member

Thanks Darrell, ... Go Team Savage! blue

Basic Member

Savage takes 600 Yrd. & Sets new 1K Record

Copied from Benchrest Central. I don't know the source of the original Savage spokesperson.

"This list of long-range events Team Savage has won recently is getting almost as long as the distances they shoot at.

They recently added the 2010 F T/R National Championship to that list by taking the team competition in grand fashion. The won both the 600 and 1,000 yard events, establishing an new 1,000-yard record of 778-21X.

Darrell Buell Damascus, OR; John Weil of Welches, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR made the trip to Sacramento, CA to represent Savage Arms. The competition featured some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the Country. But, once again, those expensive custom guns were no match for four skilled marksmen armed with stock Savage Model 12 rifles.

"We continue to be thrilled with the winning results from Team Savage. It says a lot about them and it says a lot about the rifles," Savage VP of Sales & Marketing Brian Herrick said. "We're not trying to tell anybody that they can just buy a Savage and shoot like Darrell, John, Monte and Stan, but it should be fairly obvious by now that shooting stock Savage rifles isn't holding these guys back at all."

End Quote.

I know nothing about the actual accuracy of this statement.

Tim

Basic Member

Found the originial article of the Savage website..... with pretty pics and lots of trophies. Congrads guys. Excellent shooting.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=2K5nTzegQ

Tim

scaxeman

Re: Savage takes 600 Yrd. & Sets new 1K Record

Quote Originally Posted by tiny68

I know nothing about the actual accuracy of this statement.
    Hey Tim,

It's accurate ;D

That picture is a funny story in itself. When they had the crew down for the .338Lapua article, Bill from Savage says "hey guys, toss your medals from the last couple of years in your trucks and we'll get a group "bling" shot". It was clear that he wasn't aware of quite what that meant! We packed in a TON of stuff, just about floored the photographer. The worst was my huge shadow box you see sitting in front of me, all the medals are carefully organized... and hanging free! In the end, only about 75% of the medals/trophies/awards made it into the pic. From the edges of the pic, there are another 15 degrees of medals on either side.

Humorously, none of those medals predates 2007.

Take care guys,

Darrell

"There was an article/press release after (?) the Savage F class team won the world championshipin 2009 that the spokesman from Savage said that the guns were straight production guns."

I should clarify this quote though. Team Savage was PART of the gold medal winning Team USA. Three Team Savage members (John Weil, Monte Milanuk, and Darrell Buell) joined Paul Phillips, Jeff Rorer, Dale Carpenter, Gary Rasmussen (Coach), and Kathy Buell (register keeper) to shoot for the US in the World Championship Team Match. The slots on this Team were highly sought after, and had to be earned through a rigorous qualification system I set up in England. Stan Pate just missed the cutoff, and I had him Captain and Co-Coach the Rutland Cup Team. On the individual side of the competition, none of the Team Savage guys placed lower than 13th in the World Standings (US Team guys took 9 of the top 15 spots in the World), led by Stan's brilliant 3rd place finish.

borg

I really want a link to the thread where it is getting broken off in all the remmy lovers. ;D

I think Remingtons are great guns, and the 788 in .22-250 I once had was the most accurate rifle I have ever had the chance to shoot. However, now that I own a (couple) Savage(s) I really like thinking that the guns I own are so accurate and affordable that they piss people off. I don't like Savages for just those reasons though. Mainly I like that they are an ugly gun, which makes me feel more comfortable owning one. I'd hate to go to the range and have hot babes pawing my rifle and ignoring me.

Basic Member

Darrell,

I wanted to thank you for posting on Calguns.net and adding the details and your comments to the thread I started there. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Savage Supporter in that group of Remmy, Surgeon and Stiller lovers. I'm building a Savage in 243 to shoot against them boys in their Precision Rifle Matches.

Best of luck to you in the rest of the competitions.
    Frank

scaxeman

No problem Frank. It was pure coincidence that I heard about the thread, another competitor gave me a call, indicating that I should probably get on there and dispel some rumors!

Good luck with the .243 project.

Darrell

were you an M-div. type perchance? I played at 3355 for 8.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by scaxeman
    No problem Frank. It was pure coincidence that I heard about the thread, another competitor gave me a call, indicating that I should probably get on there and dispel some rumors!

Good luck with the .243 project.

Darrell

were you an M-div. type perchance? I played at 3355 for 8.

Small world shipmate. I was a 3365 on the SSBN 645, SSN 686 and SSBN 620. Too many years ago and too much time at test depth.

Frank

scaxeman

LOL! ;D

I spent plenty of time on SSN 683 & SSBN 733. It has been a moon or two though!

Basic Member

For all you guys wondering what the talk of 3355 and 3365, M div, etc was all about, Darrell and I were both Submariners in the Navy in the same speciality, the Mechanical Division of the nuclear power plant.

Darrell was in for 8 years and was a Navy enlisted code (NEC) 3355 nuclear power plant mechanical operator and I was in for 11+ years and was a NEC 3365 Nuclear power plant supervisor.

All this boils down to is that Darrell besides being a hell of a shot is also a really intelligent guy who doesn't mind being locked in a steel tube, underwater with 150 other guys for 2 1/2 months at a time.

Frank