Thread: axis .223 and ppu ammo

MikeB258

axis .223 and ppu ammo

I just bought a axis .223 a few weeks ago and the guy sold me some ammo with the gun. It is PPU .223 but it is also marked 5.56x45 on the box which I have been told you can shoot 223 out of a 5.56 but not the other way around. May be a dumb question but just looking for some clarification thanks
    Last edited by MikeB258; 07-07-2014 at 11:18 AM.

cranebird
    I have PPU or prvi partisan that is .223 Remington so he sold you the wrong stuff. The cup pressures are lower in the .223 Rem. than the 5.56 nato ....

cranebird
    Here is what Jim posted on the subject.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...39-223-vs-5-56

MikeB258
    Thanks yes it is the prvi partisan and like I said it says .223 Remington and just under says(5.56x45) I don't know, maybe just the metic measurement. Im obviously new to this caliber and don't want to ruin my gun. I just called he said it was correct so I guess I'm going to have to stop in there, appreciate the responses.
    Last edited by MikeB258; 07-07-2014 at 05:12 PM.

cranebird
    +++
    Last edited by cranebird; 07-13-2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: removed pictures

MikeB258
    Yeah thanks no good not the stuff he sold me, guess I will be going back tomorrow.

My guess is that this is in fact a consumer grade 223 ammo if it is not head-stamped 5.56 and does not have the NATO cross in a circle symbol. Their military grade ammo will typically have a red primer sealer too. I've shot their 5.56 battle pack ammo through my AR's--for the price it's some of the best shooting budget ammo out there IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

MikeB258
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    My guess is that this is in fact a consumer grade 223 ammo if it is not head-stamped 5.56 and does not have the NATO cross in a circle symbol. Their military grade ammo will typically have a red primer sealer too. I've shot their 5.56 battle pack ammo through my AR's--for the price it's some of the best shooting budget ammo out there IMO.
    You are correct it is head-stamped .223 and from what a few buddies have told me its fine to shoot, so I will be giving it a shot thanks for the help.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Thanks for the info.

The PPU brass sort of suck if you intend to reload them. The cases vary in weight anywhere from 85.4 gr to 104.7 gr. Serbian reloading hammer sold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    Thanks for the info.

The PPU brass sort of suck if you intend to reload them. The cases vary in weight anywhere from 85.4 gr to 104.7 gr. Serbian reloading hammer sold separately.
    I have to admit my experience with their "bluebox" stuff hasn't been all that great--I'm talking about their NATO ammo which I find to be of high quality for the budget pricing--certainly shoots better than the surplus bulk federal and eagle stuff I've shot.

I once shot some "bluebox" 380 acp stuff at around 8 yds and twice got hit in the head by the bullet's jacket ricochet.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]