Thread: .223 subsonic for hunting small game?

goodolsavage

.223 subsonic for hunting small game?

I currently have a .17 which is basicly good for possum size game, any bigger you get into the possibility of it running and not killing it, any smaller you can blow te game in half, instead of a small niche of a .17hmr i was thinking if getting a .223 bolt action and loading fmj sub sonics, i dont think that would be to much would you?
    One kf my bigger concerns is i would also like to use it for other larger game or varmint hunting. What do you guys think and suggest i do? Also i forgot to mention i think a subsonic .223 would be rear for when the loudness of the .17 can be an issue

Luke45
    Flat point lead cast bullets work great for subsonic loads and are very cheap. At that low velocity they don't foul hardly at all and they stabilize easy due to there shortness in length and high density so you can use a heavier bullet As well.

The flat point will hit much harder than a fmj at those velocitys, and the lead will even expand a little bit. With a fmj you will only see similar preformance to a round nose 22lr and will likely over penetrate and the varmint will run a ways.

Just load it a hundred fps over the sound barrier and back the powder off .1 gr at a time u till you don't hear the sonic crack anymore then your good
    To go.

I would advise against sub sonic fmj for hunting, but a 60gr flat point lead bullet at 1050fps will hit hard.

And it will sound like popping a bag of chips

goodolsavage
    What about vmax bullets? I know at higher velocity a they virtually explode

Luke45
    I honestly have no idea if a v max would expand at 1000 fps! May have to shoot one into a milk jug and see, If they don't expand at that low velocity you could always rip the plastic tip out with some vise grips then you would
    Have a gaping hollow point that would surely expand at least a little bit

goodolsavage
    I may try that with the lead cast bullets.

Luke45
    I've shot sub sonic matchkings (acted like a fmj at low velocity) side by side to the cast bullets and it's night and day, may be hard to find 22 cals though probably have to get them online.

goodolsavage
    Wont be a problem. I know people. 1:9 twist is what I'm getting because thats the only twist it has unless i get the threaded version. Will that stabilize them

Luke45
    Id bet money it would stabilize them, the lead flat point bullets are so short Compared to thier weight they are extreamly easy to stabilize Even at low velocity.

What length barrel are you getting?

goodolsavage
    22inch. Savage axis, its not awfully exspensive but I've heard many good things about it and they're easy to build up

Luke45
    With sub sonics and a 22 inch barrel that is going to be one heck of a quiet gun!

goodolsavage
    Thats what I'm going for, later in life if this works out I'm getting a savage 10 or somthing thats threaded and get a suppressor for it. Talking about quiet!

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    I honestly have no idea if a v max would expand at 1000 fps! May have to shoot one into a milk jug and see, If they don't expand at that low velocity you could always rip the plastic tip out with some vise grips then you would
    Have a gaping hollow point that would surely expand at least a little bit
    Forget the vice grips. Just use a 'little' heat.... Been there, done that......

ron

goodolsavage
    Is there a difference between the poly tip out

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by goodolsavage View Post
    Is there a difference between the poly tip out
    At sub sonic velocity the plastic tip most likely won't have enough force puahing on it to cause the bullet to expand since it's essentially sharp, would probably act like a fmj. Without the tip, you will have a very large and completely void hollow point, in theory would be more likely to expand at lower velocity. The front 10% will basically be a thin copper jacket with air inside.

goodolsavage
    Hm, il experiment when i get everything.