Thread: My first adventures with a Savage....

Hutch

My first adventures with a Savage....

went an got it bought (that was harder than you think) it, being a 12 vlp 22-250 1/9" twist. The twist was the reason I dove into this one. Anyhow, done a "breakin in" shoot one clean for the first 8 shots, was plannin on 10 shot "break in" but I AIN'T patient! went to the range with some Winchester white box 45 grainers....well, it was quite depressing.

[img width=600 height=435]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/Hutch1golf/target1.png[/img]

That was the least embarrassing group I was willin to show :-[ Hmmm, I thought. went back to the hacienda, got to checkin things like bases and screws and rings and anything else simple. nope! all good. And of course thanks to the wealth of info here, I checked the bedding contact with some of my wife's lipstick. let me tell ya, THAT, almost got me into some deep doodoo. Anyway, found a pressure point just forward and to the right of the forward pillar. Plus some erratic contact on the rear portion of the receiver. well, my dremel was broke so, made a little trip over to Pop's house ti borrow his, he don't mind. I'll have it back long before he gits back from Kuwait.....you believe that right?? No, of course I won't have it back till he asks me about it....Duh!

Went to grindin on some wood, you know inlettin, redneck hack job style Torqed her down an went back to the range with the white box...of course! And some reloads ;D

[img width=583 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/Hutch1golf/target2.png[/img]

Sent two white box rounds down to warm the barrel. Then proceeded to shoot groups with the very first batch of reloads.
    The bottom right was the very first group...needles to say, I was awestruck!!

40 gr. seirra HP 38.0gr. varget. Second group, bottom left was 38.5 gr. varget. Third group, top right, 39.0 gr. Fourth group top left, 39.5 gr.

They progressivly opened up. The first group measured .321 with On target. The last group measured .781 Not bad for the first batch.

Got some Devcon 10110 comin so I can git the action bedded propper like.

OOOOOO this gonna be a fun ride....I've already got about five different builds goin on in my head as I type. Oh yeah, the white box stuff, still don't shoot worth a hoot ::)

Hutch

82boy

Re: My first adventures with a Savage....

45 grs are not what I would be shooting in a 1 in 9 twist 22/250.

kweeks10045

I highly recommend the 52gr or 53 gr SMK's. Out of the 10 or so bullets I have shot, the 53 gr SMK's shoot the tightest groups day after day.

358Hammer

That is some awesome shooting for that little bullet in a 9 twist barrel.

I would definitely move up in bullet weight. Those bullets you are using are jumping a long way before engaging the rifling. Pretty sure when you get to a bullet that gets you closer to the lands you are going to be very happy.

Neal

Basic Member

What ever ammo shot the #6 target, I would stay with it. That group is VG and anyone would be happy with that. If that is 100 yard targets no need to complain at all. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Hutch

That is at 100 yrds. I bought several different wieghts, 52gr. matchkings being one of'em. I started with the 40's cause i figured if it'll shoot them then it'll dayum sure shoot anything!

Gonna load up ten more 40's at 38. gr of varget just to make sure it weren't no fluke....we'll see

Hutch

Hutch

oh yeah, I ain't even got it bedded all propper yet...bettin it'll do a little better then

Hutch

Thats what I have & I shoot 69smk & 68 hornady hpbt. Every powder I put in it gives at least 1 in or less at 100. I most ley shoot 200 so I can see how the diff powder loads affect things. I usually have to boot them pretty good & the stay tight. Never put a factory load down the tube. Also never check the pillar contact. Dont know if I will