Thread: Axis .308 accuracy

Basic Member

Axis .308 accuracy

Im going to be getting a axis in .308 and I was wondering what kind of precision accuracy can be expected with this particular caliber? Thanks for any info in advance

SThomas3791
    precision accuracy for hunting? for competition? factory loads? handloads? most of the members on here will be able to help you but might want a lil more info on what your intentions are. the .308 is an inherently accurate round that has proven itself over and over through the years.

Basic Member
    If you are referring to "out of the box" accuracy, my personal experience with my 7mm-08 Axis is that they shoot 1 MOA'ish with decent factory ammunition. So if I shot five 3-shot groups and my fundamentals were solid then 3 out of the 5 may be sub-moa and vice versa which is perfectly fine for most hunting applications. If you are looking for enthusiast level accuracy ( <.5) then you are more than likely going to have to reload, use match grade ammo, replace the barrel, sturdier stock etc.. to get what you are looking for.

Congrats on your purchase and Welcome to the Brotherhood!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    If you are referring to "out of the box" accuracy, my personal experience with my 7mm-08 Axis is that they shoot 1 MOA'ish with decent factory ammunition. So if I shot five 3-shot groups and my fundamentals were solid then 3 out of the 5 may be sub-moa and vice versa which is perfectly fine for most hunting applications. If you are looking for enthusiast level accuracy ( <.5) then you are more than likely going to have to reload, use match grade ammo, replace the barrel, sturdier stock etc.. to get what you are looking for.

Congrats on your purchase and Welcome to the Brotherhood!
    Thanks for the info. Yes i am talking out of the box accuracy for this .308. Im going to be handloading and probably a barrel replacement in the near future sitting in a boyds stock. Last year I finished a build on a savage 111 platform, in .300 win mag caliber using a CBI barrel and it was a blast to build it. I enjoy building almost more than shooting lol.

Basic Member
    Sounds good!! I am in the process of my first Axis build as well. Probably will go with a Boyds Taticool, Rifle Basix Trigger, Apache Gun Works Barrel and recoil lug from SSS. That's about all I can afford right now never thought this would be such an exspensive hobby. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Sounds good!! I am in the process of my first Axis build as well. Probably will go with a Boyds Taticool, Rifle Basix Trigger, Apache Gun Works Barrel and recoil lug from SSS. That's about all I can afford right now never thought this would be such an exspensive hobby. :)
    Cool. Speaking of the apache gun works barrel, what kind of accuracy can be expected with their barrels? I saw their prices and they were very resonable. and yes it is an expensive hobby lol but very fun.

Basic Member
    I haven't shot with one of his barrels but all of the feedback that I have seen from this forum has been 100% positive concerning,craftsmanship, customer support and accuracy.

2111 Marine
    went to the range the other day with my Savage axis .308 and was seeing 0.577 inch grouping at 100 yrds and on one shot i was 0.185 inches from dead center of the bullseye and this is with Winchester super X 180 grain soft point

I am starting to build up my .308 Axis my wife gave me. I want it to be accurate, but was kinda hoping to keep the factory barrel. I am concerned with how skinny it is. The light weight makes for a pretty good kick. I about got it broke in, and already noticed the flimsy stock has to go. Boyds on order. How hard is it to re-barrel these guns? The only other guns I've worked on are ARs.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I am starting to build up my .308 Axis my wife gave me. I want it to be accurate, but was kinda hoping to keep the factory barrel. I am concerned with how skinny it is. The light weight makes for a pretty good kick. I about got it broke in, and already noticed the flimsy stock has to go. Boyds on order. How hard is it to re-barrel these guns? The only other guns I've worked on are ARs.

Very easy to rebarrel. All you need is a savage barrel nut wrench and an action vise for your savage and your ready to change barrels.

I am reading there are two kinds of barrels to choose from. Is the .308 Axis a large shank or small shank?

Basic Member
    The .308 is a small shank.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Thanks. Learning has occurred.

savagemann
    I just got my first Axis less than a week ago. Axis SR 20".
    I put an EGW 0moa mount on it and used TPS rings to mount a Primary Arms 4-16x 44 optic on it.
    Was shooting some inexpensive PPU Match 168gr ammo and was seeing about 3-4" groups at 200 yards.
    Put some reloads in it that I had made up using 175gr Nosler Custom Comp BTHP with Varget and had a 1.2" center to center group at 200 yards.
    This was bone stock. I had not modified the trigger or stock yet.
    And just to note, the forend was rubbing on the right side of the barrel and the trigger felt like it was about 8 lbs.
    I have since changed out the trigger spring and stiffened up the stock with some aluminum tubing and filled with epoxy.
    I free floated the barrel until a business card would pass through.
    The trigger is now about 2-3 lbs.
    I haven't shot it yet, but will on Sunday.

I was looking at the E.R Shaw barrels. Any input on those?
    Am planning on a Boyds Tacticool stock as well.

They all seem to be great shooters. I know mine is. If you're leaving it in the factory stock, widen the barrel channel up until there's no danger of it touching. In factory form, it will touch when resting on a bipod, or with any slight pressure towards the barrel. You can stiffen the stock too, but just relieving it is easier and faster. Trigger is horrible in factory form, but really easy to get down to about 3lbs. Those two things alone will help you immensely.

I saw a few you tube videos where they cut 1 to 1.5 coils off the trigger spring. I am going to try this before I spring for something like the rifle basix. Has anyone on here done this DIY mod and have success?

I haven't clipped coils on the factory spring, but I've used a softer spring. A spring from a Pilot G2 pen will get the trigger to 3-3.5lb with no other mods.

Got several of those around...

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I saw a few you tube videos where they cut 1 to 1.5 coils off the trigger spring. I am going to try this before I spring for something like the rifle basix. Has anyone on here done this DIY mod and have success?
    i have done both the coil cutting method and the clicker pen . . . i prefer the clicker pen method. trigger feels smoother but maybe its just me

MoToad
    Have a new Axis .308 in stainless with supplied scope. All in all the scope will do for now but in future I am looking to up the power for 300 + yard shots. Out of the box the rifle performed poor accuracy due to the 10 lb. (joking but half true) trigger pull. I did check the scope mounts for tightness but when I got home, found the stock bolts completely loose. Snipped off the trigger spring one loop and found the pull much better, perhaps 4 to 5 lb. May go one more. Second trip to the range had me pulling 3"groupings at 100 yds. Conditions weren't ideal as I live in the mountains and the range already had two feet of snow at several degrees below freezing. May go out again with the snow shoes or that may be it for the season.
    Does the pen spring need the screw insertion or does it slip into the threaded hole? Guess I've got time to find out. And also what are thoughts on muzzle break for this gun and does it effect accuracy? Old shoulder injury is becoming arthritic and may need to work on lightening the kick a bit.
    All in all, for the price I cannot fault the rifle at all. Accuracy is good and can be truly fine tuned.

I had my .308 Axis out over turkey day break. It was the second outing for it. I couldn't find a screw to fit the trigger. I was gonna try the ink pen spring. Took a chance and took 1.5 coils off the factory trigger spring. BIG difference. Still waiting on my new Boyd's stock, so I'll hold off on further trigger mods until I get it in a more solid stock. I feel you on that recoil issue. This gun is so light weight it kicks more than my Mosin.

MoToad
    Now have mine dialed in. I clipped off another half a coil making 1 and a half total. The trigger pull is now perfect. Inch and a half groups at 200yds. No more getting jerked around.

I want to be able to zero my Axis on the indoor range in this cold weather so I will have to spend less time out in the cold when I go to 100 yds. Anybody know just how bad the temperature change is going to screw up this idea? Just looking to still be on paper at this point. Also, where does my shot need to be with the .308 @ 25 yds, to put it close @ 100 yds?

Savage Axis .308, Boyd's laminate stock.

I have no idea on how to get a good measurement of how high the scope is. I'll be using PMC Bronze 150 gn FMJ. Like I said, just looking to still be on paper @ 100. From what I've been able to tell by the internet ballistic tables, If I get zeroed @ 25 yds, I will be 2 or 3 inches high @ 100, but that's good enough for me until I can spend more time on the outdoor range.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-19-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Basic Member
    5 shot group
    Axis .308
    100yards
    Clipped 1 coil from trigger spring