Thread: K-Hornet in a model 25

Flyndutchman

K-Hornet in a model 25

Anyone had their Model 25 22 hornet converted to the K-Hornet. Wondering how the rounds fed out of the magazine with the sharp shoulder of the K case. I would probably have to modify the single shot follower I made out of a 223/204 magazine to accommodate the different diameter of the front of the case along with the different shoulder.

Don't have the K-Hornet in a 25 but I do have one in the Model 40 Single Shot. Even with mine being a single, I still have to start the round into the chamber rather than lay it on the follower section. I like the performance, but not the hassle. I can't imagine that the Model 25 will feed it, but maybe someone will chime in with that specific knowledge.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Don't have the K-Hornet in a 25 but I do have one in the Model 40 Single Shot. Even with mine being a single, I still have to start the round into the chamber rather than lay it on the follower section. I like the performance, but not the hassle. I can't imagine that the Model 25 will feed it, but maybe someone will chime in with that specific knowledge.
    did you ever get the model 25 in k hornet to feed ??
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Flyndutchman
    I have left my 25 standard hornet. Was finally able to buy some powder other than IMR 4227 and find some 34 and 40 gr bullets I can seat to feed through the magazine. H110 and Nosler's untipped 40gr varmegedon and Midsouth's 34 gr HP are showing some great groups and nice velocity. They feed good out of the magazine or off the single shot follower I made.

1976dgs
    I had mine done and it feeds just fine, never had any problems with it.

1976dgs & flyndutchman

1. What type of stock do you have?

2. Did you have to make any mods to the stock or mag well?

3. You did have to mod your stock, what did you do to it, plus if any photos would be great.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Flyndutchman
    My 25 hornet is still in the black plastic factory stock. It seems to shoot well out of this stock and I want to keep it lighter than my other rifles for packing around. No mods to the stock, but the chamber is still standard hornet. If it continues to print the groups I got at the last range session with H110, I'll leave it alone. 3100 fps with 40gr bullets is more than I ever hoped for with the Hornet. I didn't buy it to be a screamer, just a fun, low recoil, and low noise gun. The bolt lift is improving. I discovered the locking lugs really like a lot of grease.

1976dgs
    I have the synthetic stock and I have not done anything to it. I did a little work on the magazine so that it would take poly tip bullets. I took it apart and then took a small triangle file and add a groove on the inside of the mag. so that I can load poly tipped bullets, it works great. I also added a tactical bolt knob and then polished the lugs and bolt to make it a little smoother. It shoots awesome, even when I am fire forming brass.

Flyndutchman
    Had a short,successful range session today. I'm not going to change things. H110, 34 gr HP, PPU brass, Small Pistol primers, Lee factory crimp die, bullets seated to feed out of the magazine. 0.610" five shot group with four of them in a 0.191" cluster. No wind flags out and there were some subtle things happening. The one shot just had to open the group up. The small rifle primer group was 1.5" with the same components. Have been getting consistently better performance with the small pistol primers in the hornet.

You guys make me want a 22 Hornet more and more!