Thread: Savage Precision Carbine vs Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision - .308

Basic Member

Savage Precision Carbine vs Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision - .308

I have decided to take the leap and get into long range shooting and have narrowed my selection down to two primary choices but I have not been able to find a direct comparison. The two primary choices. I have narrowed my decision down to (both in .308 Win):

• Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine: 20-inch barrel, Accu-Stock
    • Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision: 24-inch barrel, HS Precision, aluminum bedded stock

I would like to be able to possibly shoot out to 1,000 yards one day. Most of my shooting will be within 500 yards. More important than max range is that I would like to get the most accurate set-up possible.

Few considerations which I have been going back and forth on and would like to ask for additional input

• Stock - Possibly the largest factor that has me considering the FCP HS Precision is the stock. The HS Precision stock is aluminum bedded and I would plan to perform a full bedding job. I likely would not be able to do a bedding on the Accu-Stock in the Precision Carbine. Which stock has the accuracy advantage?
    • Muzzle velocity – will the velocity difference make a significant enough difference to warrant the extra weight? Will it mean the difference between being able to shoot to 1,000 yards?
    • Barrel rigidity – I believe the FCP has a larger diameter barrel than the precision carbine. Thoughts on the trade-off of length vs. diameter

Any input anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Are there additional items I am not considering? I am open to other suggestions that are not listed here as well, but am primarily looking for thoughts on the direct comparison.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPHS
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...ECISIONCARBINE

Cost not being a factor, and I have to assume that you will not being carrying the rifle great distances, I would go with the 10 FCPHS. Better stock, Longer barrel for the added velocity is going to be a plus IMHO.

If you wanna build it more into what you want as you grown with your rifle, the 10PC might be the more economical choice. The 20" barrel will shoot that far and should be just as accurate, you may just have to dope up a lil more to get there.

If Money is no object then I would go 10FCPHS and be happy, but if you wanna build on your rifle as you get used to it, or carry it a long distance then I would go 10PC and be happy.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjphawk View Post
    [1]Muzzle velocity – will the velocity difference make a significant enough difference to warrant the extra weight? Will it mean the difference between being able to shoot to 1,000 yards?
    [2]Barrel rigidity – I believe the FCP has a larger diameter barrel than the precision carbine. Thoughts on the trade-off of length vs. diameter.
    1.. You can get to 1000 yards with both barrels in a 308win but you will have to load heavy bullets (ie,, 175+) to do it with the shorter barrel and they will be hot. The 24 inch barrel is your best bet to shoot that far and longer is better in this case. Most people shooting that far with a 308 are using 26-32 inch barrels for the extra velocity. As for your 500 yard shooting both will get there easy enough.
    2.. The shorter the barrel the more rigid it is in the same diameter so with the longer barrel being larger it is most likely a push on this.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input. I certainly wouldn't say that cost isn't a factor, but I do understand that quality costs money sometimes and I would rather buy once, cry once. I don't plan to carry the gun a long way for elk hunting so weight isn't a huge factor if it means higher performance but I would still prefer keep the barrel length reasonably short. I'll struggle through carrying the gun if I ever decide to hunt with it.

I imagine it will be a while before I am shooting out toward 1,000 yards and if the gun ends up not up for the task and I am serious about wanting to do so I will have to add another gun to the safe. In the meantime I will try and maximize the performance on my given budget and work on the fundamentals of long range shooting.

Right now I am certainly leaning toward the Model 10 FCP HS Precision but I would still appreciate any additional opinions.

Basic Member
    If you have any inclination to take the gun hunting, I would recommend going with the precision carbine to save on weight. I have the 11VT which is a 24" barrel and it is a BEAST (in terms of weight). Check out what this guy was able to do with his precision carbine out of the box... I'm not going to lie I'm a little jealous because it shoots better than my fully customized 24":
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...cision+carbine