Thread: What shooting rest do you use at the bench?

Basic Member

What shooting rest do you use at the bench?

Mods you can move this where you please, thought I would get some feedback from the guys here.

What kind of shooting rest to y'all use? I have been looking at some Allen sandbags at Wally World (bout $25) and then I found some nice Caldwell sandbags at Rural King. (bout $65 with sand, $35 without). Do you think I will be able to tell any difference?

BW

Basic Member
    I use a bipod and rear bag

Basic Member
    I use two rests, a Cowen or Caldwell w/ owl bags and a rabbit or bunny on a stabilizer in the rear. Which combination I use depends on the rifle.

I didn't care for the Caldwell windage wobble top so I made a fixed top for it. The black bag and the one under the bunny on the right are the stabilizer bags.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

GaryBF

I shoot the wally-world bags as well one lg and two small. The large for the front and the one of the smalls depending on rifle for the rear.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Tufrthnails, how do they fit you height wise? I am afraid they will be too short, (muzzle pointing down) but I guess it is easer to make them taller than shorter. . .

BW

If you shoot off of bags you might want to either put something over the swivel studs on your rifle, remove them or put a towel or something over your bags. Sling studs are hard on bags.
    I have a couple of rests. I use a lead sled for bore sighting and also for zeroing big boppers like an ultramag or slug gun.
    Most of the time I shoot off of front and rear bags.
    Currently I have two different sets of "duct tape special customs" due to aforementioned sling studs. LOL
    One is a light set filled with rice for field use, and one is a heavy set filled with cat litter for range use.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Depends on which rifle. My 300 win mag long range toy has a good bipod on it and that is usually what I use from the bench with it. For the really heavy hitting stuff I use a Caldwell Lead Slead with either 1 or 2 25 pound barbell weights. I also have a couple of heavy duty video camera tripods with a custom made aluminum saddle with a shot bag in it for more of the informal stuff or shooting out of a blind.
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' BW View Post
    Tufrthnails, how do they fit you height wise? I am afraid they will be too short, (muzzle pointing down) but I guess it is easer to make them taller than shorter. . .

BW
    I have minimal issue with them. I rest the rifle just in front of the mag well due to having a synthetic stock that flexes and slings round all over if I rest it at the end of the stock. Of course this will be remedied when I got to the range next because I picked up a wood stock for it. But the two small bags are the primary adjustment for aim point how far back I push them to the end of the stock adjusts the verticle aimpoint. There are probably better bags out there but they are what I have been shooting for a while now and they beat the hell out of the wood blocks and a rolled up t-shirt I used to use.

BTW the large is very large not sure how it would be pointed down.

These are about the size of the small bags
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Co...illed/37388108
    This is about the size of the front large bag
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caldwell-D...ingMethod=p13n

I really can't remember exactly who makes them I want to say Allen but I couldn't find them in the allen brand in the right sizes.
    Last edited by tufrthnails; 07-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    A bull bag unless the rifle has a pure target configuration. Then a mechanical front rest and a rear bag. Virtually all rifles in the bull bag filled with virgin plastic pellets like they use for injection molding. They are light weight and never change if they get wet.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't