Thread: Utah P Dogging

Dangerous Dan

Utah P Dogging

Here are some shots of the fun we had out P Dogging in Utah in June we shot well over 2500 rounds in three days lots of fun Here are some pix

I Left out the cal we used 223 AI 243 AI and 223 6BR

Basic Member
    I cant imagine how 3 guys could shoot that many rounds in 3 days. Unless you were spraying lead with A R type guns.
    After a couple hours of getting familiar, i usually dispence with ranging and dialing out to about 600 and just use the reticle.
    Even then, 150 rounds would be a long and busy day for me loading singely. First off lots of targets will dissapear before the shot.
    So now we start over, looking for then lining up on another and the same thing could happen.

Dangerous Dan
    Don't Know what to tell You feller I did not dream this up . Come on out and do some shooting It is a Blast

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post
    Don't Know what to tell You feller I did not dream this up . Come on out and do some shooting It is a Blast
    Plan is to do just that (again) in the early fall at private ranches in S E Montana.

Dangerous Dan
    Hope you have a good time good luck DD

Luke45
    Awesome!!! I still have never got one to split is 2 like your picture that is impressive, and don't let yobuck bring you down he's just jealous

Dangerous Dan
    He is from PA They have a lot of Chucks But that is not Like WY or Utah Dogs ... You Don't take One Gun LOL . I been shooting them over 50 years No Harm just words Thanks Luke 45 DD

Luke45
    DD what load did you hit that Pdog with that made it split in half?

223 4 me
    Dangerous Dan, thank you for shareing. What a fantastic oppurtunity and location. I was wondering if you could also share info regarding your kit. I'm curious as to your glass, model rifle and approx. distance? thanx in advance and also great shooting!

Awesome. I would say 2500 rounds is a good number over three days. Last year four of us were around that number in three days shooting all bolt guns.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post
    He is from PA They have a lot of Chucks But that is not Like WY or Utah Dogs ... You Don't take One Gun LOL . I been shooting them over 50 years No Harm just words Thanks Luke 45 DD
    Actually the chuck situation in PA is pretty bleak in many areas. Thats due to several things including coyotes.
    Thats why many of us are willing to drive 1500 or more miles just to hunt prairie dogs. I do agree with taking more than one gun.
    Its just that i cant load and shoot as fast as you and hit anything. Two guys stopped at our PA camp a while back with a friend of mine and told me
    they had shot 800 dogs in 2 days between them. I asked what for guns, and they each had an A R type 223. I then asked how many rounds they
    shot and they said all we had with us, 800. lol. When i go i usually take 500 rounds for my 22/250ai, 500 for the 223, and about 250 for the 6/284.
    Next time im taking more for the 22/250ai as thats what works better for me at most of the distances i shoot. I also have a 17 rem, and that will
    decimate the dogs as in those pictures at closer distances.

Dangerous Dan
    There was Four Of us shooting Two were shooting A/R's I have a silly rule if you shoot a under 200 yard shot You Buy dinner For Long stuff I use a 243 AI it is a Bad Dude the others are 223 AI and they are good shooters My Barrels are Mgowen and Benchmark Wilson and Yes stock Savage barrels If You shoot 200 to 300 rounds a day you do spend some time changing rigs There were 15 guns between us My friend from Co shot My guns It was lots of Fun sorry for the slow response Cancer is beating Me down hard have been very sick But I hope to do it again next year DD

Basic Member
    Well first things first. Get your health back, the dogs will wait for you. All the best to you on your recovery.

Dangerous Dan
    No Cure for this Cancer I just hope I can do this again . Thanks for the Kind words DD

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I hope to go pdog hunting when I retire. I hope you have at least one more hunt left in you.

Basic Member
    Sorry guys........there are NO p/dogs in Utah..........

Just keep going to WY & MT & NB..................................

Best wishes 'DD'............

(:
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah View Post
    Sorry guys........there are NO p/dogs in Utah..........

Just keep going to WY & MT & NB..................................

Best wishes 'DD'............

(:
    WY doesn't have Pdogs either, or antelope, or deer, worst hunting ever not even worth the trip

Basic Member
    Way to pound the PDs. Being from PA, our PD trips are the highlight of our year. Just dont get that kind of shooting here in the east.

Well done.

I love to pound prarie poodles. I take lots of rifles last year I used my .17 hornet and was making hits to 340 if I read the wind right. I also always take my swifts .222 mag 22-243 and .223 as well as .243 and .300 win mag and bring my accumark 7stw we go to far western ok panhandle every year. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Some pics from this year. and for three guys in good towns that round count seems right to me.

Basic Member
    I have used a lot of cartridges for p/doginn'.........

20 VT..20 PT...20-222..20BR..223AI...6BR...6XC...up to 300 Win........

My all time favorite has to be the 20-222...Lapua brass...40 V max...H322...Savage Target action & P-N tube

Frank V
    P. Dogs sound like fun. One day I'm going to have to go east & try my hand.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    P. Dogs sound like fun. One day I'm going to have to go east & try my hand.

You're in MT ???

Frank V
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah View Post
    You're in MT ???
    Eastern Montana! Lots of them there, none here in S. Western Montana.
    We have a ton of small Ground Squirrels a lot of folks call them Gophers, & they come out in late Feb. or early Mar. Can't wait!!