Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 93 17hmr how do they shoot?

campdude

93 17hmr how do they shoot?

Was looking at these at the local gun shop today and liked it, I have never owned a 17 hmr and was wandering how they shoot?

rona
    If there is no wind you will love it. Wind will be your worst enemy. A tack driver at 100 yards and pretty dependable to 150 yards but as I said if it is windy you have to compensate.

Everytime someone asks about them on here I always try to chime in because I love mine so much. I have the 93r17 fvss. I shoot it at least once a week and no matter what gun I am working on loads with that little 17 always comes along for the ride to shoot while the barrel cools on the big guns. I'm just kicking myself for not buying one sooner.

n4ue
    I have nothing but praise for my 3 rifles and 2 handguns in this caliber. My latest, a 93R17 TR with a 6-18X40 Nikon is flat fantastic. While one of my shooting buddies *****es about the cost of the HMR round, it waaaay cheaper than the 22 WMR and even the 22LR.
    Even my Marlin bull bbl rifles shoot a lot better than expected.
    I make a lot of 'reactive' targets. While the HMR may not be 100% effective on detonating them (like my 17 Hornet), the HMR is the rifle of choice to teach young/new shooters how to shoot a rifle.

ron
    ex-Navy GM2

sav250
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Classic-17HMR

I tried to share the results of my Savage 93 here and nobody said a word. Guess I'm too new to get a serious thread on a 93R17.

campdude
    Thanks for the responses, I ran up on a couple of used ones in very good shape and hope they are still there when I return.

Basic Member
    I bought one when they first came out; love at first sight/shooting!

I have the Savage model 93R17 GVXP and simply love it! It shoots flat & true out to 200 yards & has the power to kill prairie dogs out to 250 yards. It's true the little "pill" is challenged by a cross wind, but that just adds to the enjoyment of the challenge. I highly recommend the caliber & the rifle!
    Shoot straight & often!

Basic Member
    How do they shoot? Well, with mine I first put ammo in the magazine....ok...sorry...!

sav250
    Mine shoots and it's just a glorified 93R17 in classic wood and blue luster. Groups go into an inch at 100 mostly. With all sorts of brands in the lightest bullet wgt. Wind is always always on my mind--where it is going downrange compared to where it is going where I am, gusty or steady, even the humidity!

For a .17 my HMR shoots impressively and I am happy.

campdude
    what scopes do you guys run on a low recoil like this ?

rona
    I use a Mueller 8.25 X50 which was supposed to go on my B-Mag but with no shells it was collecting dust. I like it because you can see the lil hole at 100 yards on a target. I couldn't do that with a 3X9.

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by campdude View Post
    what scopes do you guys run on a low recoil like this ?
    Weaver V16, Leupold VAR (2-3) 4 - 16X or so or fixed nice 6X to 10X.

savagetoter
    Well, I really like mine. I took it out, for the first time, this morning. I had about a 10 mph wind to my back, so shots were not effected that much for accuracy. I zeroed the scope, just a Bushnell Banner 4 - 12 x 40mm, at fifty yards. After getting settled in and zero set, I cleaned the bore and tried three different makes of .17 HMR. I can say this rifle likes the Hornady over the CCI and Winchester. Mind you, I just have the Model 93R17, so it does not have a heavy barrel. This rifle did an awesome job. The best five-shot group I got, with the Hornady, was .550 of an inch.

I have to admit, the Bushnell scope I put on it has cross-hairs that are just a bit too "fat" for fine target work...I would say this scope would make a better hunting scope than target scope, but you make due with what you have on hand. I did not have any problems with the sporter weight barrel heating up, and it was about 83 degrees outside at the range. I really like the accu-trigger, and left it set at what the factory set it at.

All in all, I really like this rifle, and it is definitely a keeper!

bremereric
    I just bought one plain Jane. I have yet to shoot it. Mine is with the black synthetic stock.

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    I just bought one plain Jane. I have yet to shoot it. Mine is with the black synthetic stock.
    I bought one like yours last summer when I couldn't get B-mag ammo. The 17HMR ammo is available and usually 10.99-12.99 depending on brand name of ammo. It is right on the money except if there is a wind. I guess I anticipated the B-Mag to be the same only for longer distance. I also expected it to be better in the wind.
    With the scalpers after the 22 and 17 B-Mag ammo the HMR is a good alternative up here in Minn.

bremereric
    Going to the range tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Ammo test Monday. Hornaday 17gr V max 1.01 MOA, 20 gr XTP .7 MOA at 50 yds. 5 shot groups BSA Sweet 17 scope. Measured with Pn Target software.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    That's On Target software. 93r17F stock.
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    http://rs1068.pbsrc.com/albums/u449/...0?t=1408580015
    Center is 2 groups of .17 gr. low left is Hornady 20 gr XTP each is 5 shot group
    Using Tapatalk

bremereric
    You did pretty good.

I did this at 100 with some Winchester 17 hmr

Basic Member
    On my target, top left and top right are Win XTP. IT is terrible in my rifle. 3+ MOA.
    Using Tapatalk

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Fisher View Post
    On my target, top left and top right are Win XTP. IT is terrible in my rifle. 3+ MOA.
    My first shot at one hundred was bulls eye, also the ones to the right. I then got off the sandbags and on the bi-pod. Thus the wild fliers on the wooden bench.

cs700
    Added a 93R17 TR to my Savage rimfire pack today. I love shooting my Mark II bench rest at 100/200 yards but I wanted something to play with at the 300 yard range. Will be mounting a Barksa 10-40x50 scope on a 20 moa mount & adding an Apachee Trigger upgrade. This setup worked good on my Mark II BRJ which now has a trigger pull of 6oz thanks to the Apachee Trigger.

Kokopelli
    I have a TR model incoming.. I'm excited...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast