Bought the wife a savage axis left hand .223. I put a EGW rail on top and she likes my tasco world class scope 3-9x.

First 60 rounds thru the rifle are outstandingly accurate. Recoil with 62 gr was manageable for her. 110lb pixie.
The thing she could not stand about the rifle was the bolt lift on cocking.

First day with new rifle.
There are no FAQ or fixes for that on the web:

DISCLAIMER!!!![
SO: I experimented. This fix worked for me.
DISCLAIMER!!

So I started by disassembling the bolt with a six mm hex wrench.
Push the cocking roller into the decock valley of the cam run.
This exposes the hex bolt cap of the bolt.
It was loc tighted -taps from a dead blow freed the keeper end of the bolt assembly.
Lift the bolt handle off the bolt.
Pour the main compression sping and separator washer into your hand.
Take a probe and push the cocking spring up the guide shaft of the pin. This will free the cocking roller.
Remove the roller.
Remove the pin assembly
Remove the cocking spring. It has a rat tail that acts as a cotter pin for the roller.

What I did to fix the heavy bolt lift problem-

I cut 1/2 of a coil off the top of the rat tailed cocking spring.
I then crushed the remaining exposed cut- in towards the shaft of the guide -so that the separator washer could not bind or slip between the now bare spring.
My logic being: that these are one size fits all springs, (.223-30.06) and I can get away with this on a .223 rifle. I left the mainspring alone as it has no bearing on the lift into the cocked detent.

I then polished the cam ramp on the bolt body and lightly reduced the locking peak of the cocked detent.
[url=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/oneissuevoter/media/D3191E4F-2C92-44F1-91E1-4F802ECB10F3.jpg.html]

I reassembled, tested, and it worked. A noticeable lighter lift from the fired shot to the cocked position. And my pin strikes were just as deep.