Thread: Sightron 10-50 X 60 is a Tank

allenlhouston

Sightron 10-50 X 60 is a Tank

I relearned a lesson this week. Never buy something that you have not seen or picked up.
    I received my Sightron 10-50-X60 FCH scope this week from Bruno's.
    When I open the box I was shocked. Never handled a scope so big. Not sure I want to mount this scope on my 308 build which will be used for 600 yd or less varmint and target shooting.
    I put the scope on a stack of books and pointed outside at a 600 yd target.
    This scope sure gathers the light and is clearer than any of my Leupold VXIIIs.
    I have 3 questions:

1. Are the turrets on the 8-32X50 or 6-24X50 scope as big as the ones one this scope?
    They are huge. Not sure they will fit in safe net to two other guns.

2. Is there any advantage of a power over 20 to 32 for 600 yd or less target shooting?
    I have never owned a scope above 20 power.

3. Would the Sightron 6-24X50 be adiquate for 600 yd varmint and target shooting
    or would I be better off with a 8-32X50 even though is is only slightly smaller
    than the 10-50X60?

Help me make a decision to keep or sell this scope on the clasified section for one with a smaller format.

crunch

Re: Sightron 10-50 X 60 is a Tank

I have the same scope with the long range target dot on my 308 Fclass rifle I built from a Stevens 200. For a dedicated rifle like an Fclass I like having a spotting scope bolted onto my rifle.
    At 550 yrds that we shoot I can see most of my hits on the target. Yes, it does make a tall scope due to the 60mm front end so I had to add a Karsten cheek pad.

One other thing, there is not much vertical adjustment when trying to get out to 1000yrds. I had to put a 30MOA base under it to make it all work out.

It is still one heck of a scope for the money.

Senderofan

I purchased this scope before they were released...Having said that...I have a couple of scopes that go up to 32X. The 10-50x is a very large scope....but it is a niche scope...not designed for overall use. Mine is mounted on my 1000 yard BR rifle. I can tell you...that I will use all 32x on my other scopes at times. Really is handy as a spotting scope when doing load development. Also...used it for prairie dog hunting at long range.

Here is a picture of my 10-50x next to my 8-32X SIII:

Wayne

Don - LongRangeSupply

I quite like mine. It has the same elevation travel the 8-32x Nightforce and it is almost as good as the Nightforce as far as clarity goes.

Sightron needs to come up with a 1K reticle that will get you on the paper without knob turning for the 10-50x and the 8-32x. If they offered 1/8 MOA clicks and a good 1K yard reticle on at least one their 8-32x scopes and I would probably end up buying several more.

allenlhouston

Thank you for the responses.

I should have asked what base and rings you used for the Sightron 10-50X60.

Would a Ferrel base with Signature High rings hold this scope in your opinion ( I estimate the height would be right for bull barrel) or should I go with the Extreme Tacticle rings that may have more holding power?

Senderofan

If you plan on using a Farrell one piece base....I think any rings in the 0.87" on up would work. My scope is mounted on my Remington 700 with a NightForce one piece base...which is only slightly thinner than the Farrell. I went with NF rings....their second highest...1.125" ( different way of measuring...but I've forgotten the conversion to convert 15mm to inches...so you could subtract that from the 1.125" to get the actual height of the ring to the bottom of the scope like the others report)...but I have tons of clearance....probably way more than needed for even a bull barrel. But like you...I wasn't sure...and wanted to play it safe. Plus I have an adjustable cheekpiece...so the extra 0.25" clearance doesn't cause me too much trouble. I figure I could have gotten away with NF 1.0" rings...But hindsight is 20/20.

Good Luck,

Wayne