Thread: Base Mounting Question

justeric

Base Mounting Question

I just got my EWG 20 MOA base in for my brand new 10 FCP - K in 308. I tried to mount the base but it appears the base and the riffle screw holes don't line up perfectly. It was tough but I was able to screw all the screws in at one time. When I did, I was able to get one side flush with the action but the other side was high enough to slide a piece of paper underneath. I felt like putting some elbow grease behind the side that was still raised but it felt like I was close to stripping the holes so I stopped.

I have hesitate going to a local gunsmith since they might overcome the problem by just torquing the screw until it either strips or goes down into the action. I figure there is a fundamental problem with either the base or the action that needs to be addressed.

What would you do?

By the way my base is a KK-MT-SAVRBS-41002 EGW Savage Picatinny Rail Scope Mount - Round Back. I'm pretty sure this is the mount supposed to be compatible with my gun. When you put the mount on top of the action, the holes appear to line up at least.

Thanks a bunch,
    Eric

justeric

Re: Base Mounting Question

I ended up taking the rifle, base, scope and rings to an outdoor store that had a gunsmith on duty. He looked over the problem and told me the base was not drilled properly. The base has 2 front holes and 2 back holes. The front holes line up with each other and the back holes lined up with each other. The problem was that the front and back holes were off by about half a holes diameter.

The gunsmith told me I could either send the base back or just cut it. Being impatient, I decided to haven him cut the center section out. Now I have a 2 piece base. He mounted the base, rings and scope without a snag.

Now I have a sniper cool looking gun. I hope to get out to the range on Thursday to give it a try.

Good shooting,
    Eric