Thread: Are the more expensive rifles worth it ???

Pastprime

Are the more expensive rifles worth it ???

I'm going to buy another centerfire rifle. I haven't had one in several years. In the past I've had a couple Savages, a 6PPC BR rifle, a Steven 200, Rem 788, and a few AR's (never could get to like them). I'll be shooting from the bench 95% of the time for my pleasure only trying for that one hole group that I'll never get. Probably go after groundhogs on a friends farm a few times annually. I'm 70 and have a little issue that makes shooting anything towards a .308 a not fun thing unless I wear a pad which I don't like to do. So, I'm looking at probably 6mm BR or 30 BR tops in caliber. Something in the .22 family would be better but I know the wind becomes more of an issue with that caliber.

I've been looking around and trying to decide between these:

Savage 12 Benchrest with Leupold 45x scope, 2 Krieger barrels (30 BR & .308) - $2,500 - lightly used - local sale
    Savage BVSS in .223 - $832 (Bud's)
    Savage 12FV in .223 - $571 (Bud's)

The first one is a stretch but I can do it knowing I would try to sell two barrels and buy a new one and probably change the bolt parts to .378" if that is doable. I would spend more money on the others for sure because I like to tinker with stuff and want very small groups.

I'd appreciate your input on the best (not cheap but don't waste money) option...

Thanks,
    Hank

sav250
    At first I thought your question would be easy but as I read I realized I was going to come close to passing out!
    If it's a Savage it is in its own category.
    Are expensive rifles worth it? Yes and no. I have very expensive rifles but for every expensive rifle there are about 10 just as expensive rifles I did not keep.
    We can happily discuss the keepers and the not keepers at your whim. I will be polite and tell you the truth.

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by sav250 View Post
    At first I thought your question would be easy but as I read I realized I was going to come close to passing out!
    If it's a Savage it is in its own category.
    Are expensive rifles worth it? Yes and no. I have very expensive rifles but for every expensive rifle there are about 10 just as expensive rifles I did not keep.
    We can happily discuss the keepers and the not keepers at your whim. I will be polite and tell you the truth.
    Thanks for the reply...as I re-read my post I wondered whether I had asked too many questions...must have been that extra shot of Geritol...

My main quandary is whether to get a high end rifle knowing the action and stock would probably be fine if and when I changed calibers or start with something I know I'll upgrade. I've not kept up with all of the options for the basic model but I know it can be pricy to upgrade to the accuracy level of the higher priced spread...just trying to get a feel for what price I'd pay for the tiny groups I'd like...

Hank

I would go with the 12FV. It is a fine model and the barrel is made the same way to the same tolerances as the higher end Savages. I have had all models except the 12FV 243 and all of them were shooters. The plastic stocks that come on them are some of the better plastics that come on Savages (the newer ones with the wider fore end) and I have found mine to be quite acceptable. Boyds makes some good laminates should you decide to upgrade the stock later for around $100.

The BVSS is basically the 12FV in SS with a heavy laminate stock. I like the BVSS stock for the bench, but there are better ones out there for less money and I found the BVSS stock I had to be uncomfortable in the field, just too bulky in all the wrong places. If you need the SS then you could look at the 12FVSS and upgrade the stock and should still be less money than the BVSS unless you just like that stock.

hope that helps some.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I'd say that if you have your heart set on a Savage, go with option #1. That's at least $3000 worth of hardware, probably more, depending on the stock. Sell the .308 barrel on here and recoup about $300-350. Play with the .30BR, if it's not to your liking, sell it for another $300, and replace it with a Criterion in 6BR.
    However, if you are truly after one hole groups from the bench and nothing else will satisfy you, I'd say your $2500 would be better spent on a good used custom-actioned competition benchrest rifle. Check the classifieds at Benchrest Central. Don't get me wrong, I love Savages as much as anybody here, but most of those rifles are truly at a higher level of refinement and accuracy.

5829bmg
    I just bought a model 12 VLP in .223 about $900.00(Buds) put a 800.00 luepy target scope on it. I run 220 rounds through it and left the range every time with a great big smile on my face. Easily sub moa out to 200yd if the winds behave and I'm no expert marksman. Maybe I just got a good one don't know but I love that rifle.

Basic Member
    I'm 70+, and the pleasure I get is from working with a base rifle and making it "just like I want it." Even though it may wind up costing the same, I'd suggest that you buy the BVSS or the 12 FV and tinker around with it until that rifle sings like you want her to!

Pastprime
    Thank you all for the replies. I see they cover as wide a range as my questions which to me means I need to continue to do some research make up my own mind...As I sit and think, it's coming down to "barrel-nut's" comment about getting a true BR rifle and the others recommending a 12FV and build it the way I'd like.

I appreciate your input.

Hank

I would go one of the cheaper ones. If you have the cash to be able to purchase the $2,500 one, get the cheaper model shoot it a bit then use that saved cash to build exactly the way you want. Half the fun I found is just researching different parts on here and peoples experiences with parts that interest me. Then buy what you want. Your build would just be an evolving process as you pick up ideas from the great minds on this site. Good luck!

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    I would go one of the cheaper ones. If you have the cash to be able to purchase the $2,500 one, get the cheaper model shoot it a bit then use that saved cash to build exactly the way you want. Half the fun I found is just researching different parts on here and peoples experiences with parts that interest me. Then buy what you want. Your build would just be an evolving process as you pick up ideas from the great minds on this site. Good luck!
    Thanks for the suggestion. After doing a lot of reading here the past few days and looking at what I like to do and the money I'd like to put into my first rifle, looks like a 12FV would be a good starting point. Looks like I can get a new one for less than $600 at some of the discount places and I've got all the reloading stuff I need to get started. Also, been looking at the .223 AI down the road but have to do more research on that one.

I'd really like to have a single shot action but I'm not going to put $1,500 plus into a rifle until I shoot a little with whatever I get. May put a WTB as in the section here but probably have to pay big bucks for one of the older SS like the I had and sold without shooting it much years ago. I think it was a VLP....dumb me...

Hank

Savage6x284
    I'll second what Barrel-Nut wrote.

You rarely go wrong buying high quality firearms.
    Particularly those built specifically for a specialized discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by mikein View Post
    I'm 70+, and the pleasure I get is from working with a base rifle and making it "just like I want it." Even though it may wind up costing the same, I'd suggest that you buy the BVSS or the 12 FV and tinker around with it until that rifle sings like you want her to!
    +1!

Pastprime
    Just wanted to follow up and let you know what I finally bought. Saw this ad on Gunbroker put in a bid and won the auction. I very pleased with the rifle since it has a lot of the features I would have added to a less expensive model for not too much more money. It's an older model (made 12/10/2009) and it has 4.4" action screw spacing but that gives me more stock choices if I change. Thanks for all of your comments and advice. I'm especially glad I chose a Savage...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=428357962

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. I see they cover as wide a range as my questions which to me means I need to continue to do some research make up my own mind...As I sit and think, it's coming down to "barrel-nut's" comment about getting a true BR rifle and the others recommending a 12FV and build it the way I'd like.

I appreciate your input.

Hank
    You could also spend a few hours pouring over the many used custom benchrest guns on Bob Whites site, The Shooters Corner.

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    You could also spend a few hours pouring over the many used custom benchrest guns on Bob Whites site, The Shooters Corner.
    I've done that several times but the drool shorts out my keyboard......

Hank

Basic Member
    There is a 12vss locally listed thats had me drooling for a few days. Same 22-250 apprx 100 rds, redding dies in what looks like chaote stock. Been there a few days could be had for a little less. But $$$ is getting tight...