Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock decision.....help

Stock decision.....help

Hey guys, Im having a little delimma deciding which stock to get. Im building a 280AI on a 111 action (will be converted to blind from dbm). Ive ordered a 24in cbi light varmint ( this could be part of my problem lol). Im wanting to use the rifle as an extended range deer rifle so carrying weight isnt a huge concern. I really like the idea of the aluminum bedding blocks in the b&c medalist and choate tactical. But according to stockys, my barrel will be too big for the medalist and opening the channel isnt an option (according to them). The choate I kinda like but am not completely sold on it, I know my barrel will fit in it, but it maybe a bit too tactical for a hunting rifle (if that makes sense). So I thought maybe Id be better off getting a laminate and bedding it myself (would be my first). Ive glanced at some of boyds and stockys and like the looks of some of them. Just wondering if you guys had a preference or could steer me one way or the other.
    Thanks
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    I went with the fully adjustable Choate Tactical for a 6.5-06 build with intent to use it for some LR matches and varminting. It weighs about 4lbs and is very comfortable in the prone if that is your most likely shooting position. I like the idea of a synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding block simply because in many cases you don't know what the environment may decide to throw your way.

By the way. if you go to the Choate Machine and tool website you will find that they all make sporter stocks for about the same price as a boyd's and they also have the aluminum bedding block. Add a Karsten cheek riser if extra height is needed, some krylon if you want and roll on with it!

Basic Member
    I'm trying the make the same decision for a 280 rem on a 110 action, except my barrel is a CBI 26" Varmint.

The two main contenders are the Choate tactical and the Hogue with the full bedding block.

D.ID
    The choate tactical is my go to stock. For any position but especially for prone.
    Not too tactical at all, It is just a well thought out and incredibly functional stock.
    Easily fit to shooter, very tough and down right inexpensive ,you will not regret it.

Thanks for the input guys, The hogue had slipped my mind..... I like the idea of synthetic too, but was trying keep my options open.
    D, does the choate weight effect how you use it? I mean is it too heavy? Like I mentioned earlier, weight isnt a big issue for how Ill be using the rifle,(Ive got a couple lightweights I use if carrying is on the agenda) just curious.
    Will, the choate will definitely hold your barrel, im not sure how much you would need to open the barrel channel on the hogue
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Hogue actually makes one for a bull barrel, that's how it got onto my radar.

I'm leaning toward the Choate, I'm going to handle a rifle Saturday that has the same length and weight barrel on it so I'll probably make my decision then.

For the guys running the Choate, is the gap under the tang look odd? Choate mentions it on their website, but I've never seen one in person.

Ahh...I didnt know that....interesting to know! Drop a line back on here and let me know, Ill be curious as to your opinion on it.
    Scooter

D.ID
    The gap under the tang looks totally natural as if you had bedded the rifle floating the tang like it should be. It does not detract from the fit and again very functional.
    As far as the weight goes: It does not effect me one bit, the stock packs and balances very well even with a heavy barrel, the location of the swells and sling swivel positions actually make it my favorite stock to carry around. The choate tactical was really thought out well and as I am sure you have noticed, thats why I am a fan.

badmutha6
    How thick is that barrel that it won't fit in the tac medalist? I have a hog hunter with the heavy barrel in one and I have clearance to spare

Hmm...looking like I may be steering the choate direction....D I get the impression you like them 😉 So far, Im leaning toward it
    Thanks!
    Scooter

The medalist tac unless Ive missed it, only shows for short actions, mines a long action, that why I had to rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Hmm...looking like I may be steering the choate direction....D I get the impression you like them 😉 So far, Im leaning toward it
    Thanks!
    Scooter

The medalist tac unless Ive missed it, only shows for short actions, mines a long action, that why I had to rule it out.
    I to am interested in the tac medalist in a long action...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Ahh...I didnt know that....interesting to know! Drop a line back on here and let me know, Ill be curious as to your opinion on it.
    Scooter
    I was impressed with the look and feel of the Choate, it's a much better stock than I expected. That's what I'm going with.

Trygve
    I dislike Choate and do not suggest them to clients personally. In my professional opinion only stock that comes close to what B&C offers is Manners and that a huge price jump. In that price range you really should go with a Bell and Carson. Here is what i would suggest get the tactical style made for the m24 build barrels that have a huge inlet for barrel already. I believe Varmint Tactical section has the model and you can look through for the specific design you like.

Then get that and use sandpaper and a dowel to open it if needed. If you end up with too large you can bed the back and of receiver and start of barrel and then partially down barrel to provide stress relief if needed. Hunting i use a B&C Tactical Varmint with Harris on a 26 Inch Weatherby Vanguard S2 semi custom upgrade .308 with Bushnell tactical 24X and 50mm scope. I simply remove and pack parts of it and then use a backpack with built in scabbard and i barely notice it. My normal bear and deer spot is a 60ish mile hike in.

Point is i strongly suggest B&C because they are rugged, reliable, affordable, and while not light weight they are not "heavy". If your cutting weight you do it in the scope, rifle, and then look at stock. But also remember long range hunting your going to need the stability that weight provides and you will be walking less inherently. Also best option is to learn prone well and learn how to pick vantage points to spot and shoot from.

Bell and Carlson, in their infinite wisdom and despite numerous requests, does not offer a Savage 110 long action version of any Varmint/Tactical Medalist stock.

Basic Member
    I'd be interested in a B&C if they made a stock suitable for what I needed. But from what I've seen and several friend's experiences, the Choate Tactical is the best option that's readily available in the sub $250 range.

Thats why I had to rule the varmint stock out. And hence the choate into the equation. B&C was my first look, but since the sporter couldnt be opened up and tac is only short action...theyre off the list.
    Looking like the choate for me too.....
    Scooter

Well....I opted for the choate tactical, it came in today, this evenin (whatever normal people call it...I work midnights lol). Only got to take it outta the box and handle it for a sec. I like it so far. Hopefully get to mess with it some later today....
    Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    I still haven't ordered one so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts after spending a little more time with it.

Ill keep ya posted, gonna try to put my action in it in the next couple days and mess with...still waiting on my barrel, which will hopefully be in within the next week or 2. I noticed right off the bat how much better made it feels than the factory tupperware stock.
    Scooter

If you have a set of calipers, can you measure the width of the grip at its widest point?

Im coming up with about 1.9in wide, from side to side, and 2.6in front to back. FWIW, I have really small hands, and while ive not shot the stock, the grip doesnt feel too big to me. Hope this helps
    Scooter

Snapped a couple pics real quick....
    Heres a shot of free float under the tang, for reference thats a 17cal cleaning jag

Scooter

RiverSink
    The B&C Medalist Sporter for a Long Action can and has been used with varmint barrels before. A light varmint or magnum contour would be very easy and require very little work.

smokintalon
    I'd be interested to know how the Choate compares to the Manners on the range at say... 1,000+ yards. I'm building a savage 110 LA with a Brux 26" barrel in 300WM. I didn't originally intend on spending the money for the barrel but the one I had wasn't sufficient for what I want to do. Now I'm stuck trying to spend as little as possible on a decent stock that offers an adjustable cheek rest and LOP.

Trygve, any reasons in particular not to buy a Choate or is it just personal preference? I don't care about the weight. A 50lb range toy wouldn't bother me a bit and I'll never use it for hunting so, again, I don't care about the weight.

I cant honestly say, Ive never had my hands on a Manners. I think the choate custom tactical offers the LOP and cheek piece but that would put you close to Manners $$ I would think.
    Scooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast