Thread: Who Has Shot Their New Heavy Barrel Axis

ejk24

Who Has Shot Their New Heavy Barrel Axis

I was just wondering if anyone here has shot the new Axis heavy barrel yet . If so what are your impressions of them ?

n4ue
    I have the .243 HB. I shot it 5 times, before I HAD to change the trigger. It was over 6 lbs. While it was apart, I pulled the bbl and rechambered it to .243 AI. It has a Primary Arms 4-16 scope on it. I have since fireformed 35 more cases. It now as a trigger just less than 2 lbs and shoots one hole groups at 50 yards, with my standard 70 gr HPBT 243 handloads.
    I have 2 other 243 rifles and love the ctg. Gonna love the AI even more! ha ha

ron

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Ron -
    Is that an Axis II?
    I saw an advertisement in the NRA American Rifleman magazine that had the Axis II. What caught my eye was the part about the "silky smooth bolt action". All my Axis rifles have a bolt action that's as smooth as Russian burlap.
    Just curious is you had anything on this.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Ron,

Can you also comment on just how "heavy" the heavy barrel is? Main thing I'm looking for is the barrel diameter at the muzzle and at the end of the stock.

Thanks
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    According to the Savage rep i talked to: it is .730" at the muzzle.

That's not bad. It seems like a good compromise between sporter and varmint. Does that profile correspond to a 1X/11X model?

n4ue
    It's not an Axis II. That is the regular Axis bbl diameter, with an Accutrigger. The HB has the regular, easily fixable Axis trigger. Just shot my first tier of 243 AI loads today. Man, oh man, this is gonna be a fun rifle. Too lazy to bring the Oehler 33. Maybe tomorrow......
    I LOVE retirement, and my own range!!!

ron

Kriegwulf
    I just received my Axis HB in .243 Win yesterday. The rifle seems overall a very nice rifle. There are no glaring problems at all. I cleaned the rile and prepared to test fire it. I have mounted a Nikon 3X9 Pro-Staff on it using a Weaver one piece rail.

I will say this. I was and continue to be surprised by this rifle. The rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot. Yes I was disappointed by the Axis trigger..but 20 minutes of work and I now have a non-creapin' trigger hat breaks at 2.5 pounds. I am breaking in the barrel right now and have only fired 20 rounds. My first 5 were used to getting the scope refined and aligned Weather conditions were at 91 degrees F with 64% humidity and a 2 mph breeze from the rifles 7 o'cock. The first string of 5 shots were in the 8" group at 100 yards. The next 5 narrowed down to about .672 and the final 5 have gathered very nicely into a .505 sized group. I attribute the shrinking groups to me getting used to the rifle and just getting a little more calm as the day wore on ( spaced the groups over 4 hours letting every thing cool down after each cleaning). If I was smart I would have taken pictures but I like he idea "forgetting" my phone at the house so I enjoy my day with no interruptions. I am headed back later today to continue with my lil "wee monsta" and I will try to get a few pics of the targets and the barrel taper with a micrometer. Oh I should point out hat I am using factory Federal Cartridge 100 gr rounds for this enterprise. Hand loads to follow.

Basic Member
    keep us posted. I might go for one of these.

Basic Member
    Does anyone know if the 223 versions available yet????

Basic Member
    Check Gallery of Guns I believe you can purchase one there.

n4ue
    I liked the HB .243 (which I immediately rechambered to .243 AI), so much, I just ordered a HB .22-250. Placed an order for the AI reamer etc, yesterday......

Trying to decide now if I want to sell the regular Axis .22-250......

Life is tough!!!!

ron

Basic Member
    n4vue: Did you change the stock? If so, which stock? Thanks! I'm trying to decide between 3 different Savage models and cannot make my mind up!

n4ue
    mikgarus. No stock changes except for 'webbing' paint and a clear coat. I could never afford an aftermarket stock for each one of my Axis rifles. On my Axis 7-08, I did add some weight and reinforced the forearm.
    The black plastic stocks don't bother me........

ron

n4ue
    OMG (sorry about that)..........
    I picked up my new Axis HB in 22-250 today at my lgs. This makes 4 rifles I have in this caliber. However, this one is a 'doner'. It will be shot tomorrow for just a few rounds with both an HBN coated bore and HBN coated bullets.
    It will then have the bbl pulled and rechambered into 22-250 AI using a PTG reamer and gages.
    Initial impression:
    great bbl/stock fit
    HORRIBLE trigger 7+ lbs with a ton of over travel, plus side slop

Luckily, these trigger problems are easily fixed, as I have done on my 10, yep, 10 Axis rifles..... I just love 'em.....
    Will do a quick range report before I pull the bbl....
    BTW, my lgs beat ANY online price, even those with 'free shipping'. I was amazed!

ron

Basic Member
    I would love one of these, if you don't mind me asking what are you paying? And if it under $300.00 where can I go to get one!! :)
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

n4ue
    I hate to bore everyone but I shot the new 22-250 HB Axis today....
    First of all, Buds in Kentucky, has the HB for $314 (or make an offer!!) with FREE SHIPPING. When I lived in Ky, I bought all my firearms at Buds, after I let my FFL and ammo mfg license expire.
    I prefer to give my $ locally, so I ordered the rifle from my lgs. He actually beat Buds price. Of course I purchased 16 or so rifles from him in the last 2 years.

Soooo, first range impressions... After a quick bore sight, I was quickly on target and fired a total of 6 rounds.
    Came home and just finished re chambering into 22-250 AI. Factory gun shot sweet with just 38 gr / H380 / Sierra 52 gr HPBT.
    But that trigger! UGGGHHH!
    So after the re chambering, I worked on the trigger.
    I have a very nice Hunter mechanical spring guage that cost IBM big $ back 'in the day'. When they switched over to digital stuff, they gave me this.
    I pulled that trigger MANY times with the bbl action in a vise. Just over 7 lbs.
    I did the following, which I have done to all my Axis rifles:
    1. throw away the 'dual trigger return spring'
    2. replaced it with an Allen screw which allows you to eliminate the nifty 1/4" of overtravel!
    3. selected and trimmed a spring from True Value
    4. put a .020" ship to eliminate all side slop in the trigger
    5. cleaned all the factory lube off and applied my own formula, which contains WS2 and Zinc, to all bearing surfaces and the sear.

Results? Nice 2 1/2 lb trigger with ZERO overtravel. Like breaking an icicle.

Oh, for those of you who remove Savage bbls, last time (my Axis .243 AI job) I tried a new method of removing the bbl, it worked SO good I couldn't believe it and thought I try it again....
    (in the many Axis bbls I've pulled, I had to beat the Wheeler wrench with a large dead blow hammer while the bbl still slipped in the bbl vise. )

I put the bbl action in a bbl vise, upside down. Put some Kroil / Lacquer Thinner into the bbl threads that show on the bottom. Wait a few minutes and a slight tap of the wheeler wrench and the nut came loose.

But I have to mention that this rifle was the worst so far with chips and crud in the bbl/rcv/nut area. It was nasty.
    Also, the bbl itself was 'rusty'. Just took forever to clean with lacquer thinner. Looks like quantity versus quality at the plant.

Just my thoughts.

ron

Basic Member
    Do you have any pics of doing the trigger? or part #'s for the spring? I have the 223 coming and will probably have to do the trigger also. So how does the bolt come out if you can't pull it back? By getting rid of the over travel?

Here's how I did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJijTbWe2wA

I don't recall the spring number, sorry.

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Do you have any pics of doing the trigger? or part #'s for the spring? I have the 223 coming and will probably have to do the trigger also. So how does the bolt come out if you can't pull it back? By getting rid of the over travel?
    The removal of the overtravel has nothing to do with bolt removal. Do not mess with the setscrew that contact the sliding safety.
    As far as the spring, when you go to True Value, just pick a spring what will fit OVER the 10-24 setscrew. You DO NOT want a spring so small in diameter that it screws onto the setscrew. Why?
    Because if it does, the only part that will provide spring force will be the part of the spring that is 'free' above the setscrew.
    By using a spring slightly larger in diameter than the screw, will allow the screw to hold it in place. Pick up a few springs and experiment. Even though they are a whopping $1 each, you can get 3 or 4 trigger jobs out of each spring.
    There is a person selling a Savage 'like' dual diameter (lighter) spring for #20. This will reduce the pull weight, BUT will do NOTHING for overtravel.

ron

Basic Member
    How heavy is the HB axis? Is it closer to a bull barrel or a heavy sporter? I'm considering chopping one down to 16" to make my own cheaper version of a "precision carbine." Bad idea?

Edit: I would probably do 18" since 16" is pretty darned short. I would have it cut and threaded for my specwar 762 can. Would a HB Axis be a good project rifle for this?
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 08-06-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Basic Member
    Well I picked up my 223 HB Axis today. I went out and shot it this afternoon. The trigger is HORRIBLE! I went with the Weaver base. I had a 6.5x20x50 scope that was extra laying around and a set of Burris Tactical six screw rings in low. I had this on my model 10 so I knew it would fit. I used blue loctite and sprayed the primer on the screws first before applying the locktite. If you have never used the primer, it really works. I have never had anything come loose using it. I used to use it at work. That was how I found it.

Anyway, I did the breakin by firing 10 shots cleaning between each. Then just sighted in and shot about 100 rounds. I do have one problem that may need to be addressed. I am getting cratered primers. I had one pierce. The face of the bolthead looks like crap. Not sure if I should get in touch with Savage or just order a PTG bolthead? Does anyone know if their bolthead fits the Axis?

Accuracy was so-so. Not bad, but I will have to wait till I get the stock changed and the trigger done.

The barrel is the same profile as the Varmint

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    The removal of the overtravel has nothing to do with bolt removal. Do not mess with the setscrew that contact the sliding safety.
    As far as the spring, when you go to True Value, just pick a spring what will fit OVER the 10-24 setscrew. You DO NOT want a spring so small in diameter that it screws onto the setscrew. Why?
    Because if it does, the only part that will provide spring force will be the part of the spring that is 'free' above the setscrew.
    By using a spring slightly larger in diameter than the screw, will allow the screw to hold it in place. Pick up a few springs and experiment. Even though they are a whopping $1 each, you can get 3 or 4 trigger jobs out of each spring.
    There is a person selling a Savage 'like' dual diameter (lighter) spring for #20. This will reduce the pull weight, BUT will do NOTHING for overtravel.

ron
    What exactly does the #10-24 screw do to decrease the creep or over travel? It doesn't appear to touch anything, just hold the spring in the right spot.... Can you explain in detail please.
    (I've tried to PM you but your box is full)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchbcs View Post
    What exactly does the #10-24 screw do to decrease the creep or over travel? It doesn't appear to touch anything, just hold the spring in the right spot.... Can you explain in detail please.
    (I've tried to PM you but your box is full)
    It gets rid of overtravel. You set it so it stops the trigger just after it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscoggins View Post
    It gets rid of overtravel. You set it so it stops the trigger just after it breaks.
    Ok that's pretty obvious now that you say that : ). Lol. I'm a Bowhunter so not too savvy on trigger lingo. I guess I was thinking that screw was gonna help with creep. Assuming crepe is the distance you pull trigger before it goes boom.

Does over travel effect a persons shot at all? Or just preference? Seems like it wouldn't matter if the gun already fired.

I sound like a moron, sorry. Just trying to learn the talk and understand triggers a little.

Thanks for answering scoggins.