Thread: Axis barrel sizes

Basic Member

Axis barrel sizes

I'm going to be building a 6.8 SPC using an ARP nitrocarbed 1:10 3r 20" barrel. The barrel is a magnum profile so the size at the muzzle is 0.7"allowing for a threaded muzzle to support a muzzle device or suppressor.

I was originally going to build this on a model 11, but decided to use that action for a 260 Rem build while I was waiting for ARP to get their barrels finished.

Of course right after I made that decision ARP announced the barrels had finally come in.

So I'm thinking that I could build this gun as an Axis fairly economically.

So my question has to do with the size of the various Axis barrels. I would assume that the standard Axis barrels are sporter profiles. Would either of the other two Axis barrels (the SR or HB) be comparable to the magnum profile used by ARP?

To keep the cost of this build down I really would like to be able to reuse everything from the Axis except perhaps the barrel but so the magnum profile barrel needs to fit the factory stock.

Thanks for any insight.
    Mark
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You can open the barrel channel with a little elbow grease and some sanding, grinding implements.

Here's a bit of info some of us used to stiffen up the stock. Toward the end of the lesson you'll see what I used to open up the barrel channel.

That aside, you're not doing anything to an Axis the rest of us haven't already done. Or thought about. Good luck with your project.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...e-Easy-Take-II
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

cranebird
    I 'm in the process of revamping the original Axis stock to a bull barrel contour using Frank's method. I used a deep socket set and kept stepping up in socket sizes as I went but I'm only guessing that it'll work until I actually get the gun put together.
    Last edited by cranebird; 06-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Basic Member
    I've seen the threads on stiffening up the Axis stock and I may add that mod to the mix, and I know that a bit of elbow grease (or judicious use of power tools) and a socket or dowel and some coarse sand paper can open up the barrel channel ... but since I'm going to be buying a gun with the expressed purpose of putting a specific barrel on it I was really wondering if either the SR or the Heavy Barrel would already have the clearance to fit the ARP barrel. All three types (standard, SR, and HB) seem to fairly easy to find and are all similarly priced around $300 - $325. If either the SR or the HB fits my ARP barrel with the Savage magnum profile I'd rather go that route (and maybe have a slightly more valuable barrel to sell in the EE when I'm done) than to get a sporter profile barrel and know in advance I need to open it up.
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    How about a call to Savage and ask the dimensions of the heavy barrels?
    Or maybe Jim would know. He's always up to date on that stuff. (Jim Baker)
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

what will you do for mags? I want to build a 6.8 too, and have a bbl from mcgowen coming soon.
    graybear.

Basic Member
    Here's what I'm doing for a barrel.

I played around with the Axis style mags when I first got my model 11 ... both the 308 size mag that came with the model 11 260 Rem Trophy Hunter package gun I bought, and a 223 version I bought on eBay. The feed lips on the 308 sized mag can be fairly easily formed (pushed together) to retain the 6.8 case ... the 223 version might be made to work but it seemed like it would be much more difficult and it also only holds three rounds once you're done modifying it. There are two other sizes of mags that I've not had a chance to look at yet and evaluate ... they are the 22-250 and the 7.62x39 ... I'm not sure what is different about the 22-250 compared to the 308 mag, but I would guess it could be modded in the same manner as the 308 mag.

Mark
    NRA Life Member

the 308 family and 223 were my first 2 possibilities. the 308 family has 0.4728 base and 0.4709 "brass" diameters. 22-250 has 0.4728 base and 0.4697. Base measured at the bottom rim, brass measured just past the extractor groove. So pretty close in size. Sounds like the modified 308 is a better choice than 223... I'll keep you posted on my build.
    graybear.