Thread: Savage 11 LRH .308 WIN load advice

Belizejet

Savage 11 LRH .308 WIN load advice

I've tried a lot of different loads for my savage 11 LRH and can't get MOA. I was wondering if anyone has this exact rifle and caliber that may have some experience to lend. Yes I do realize that not every rifle in the same model is the exact same but they try to be. The factory tunes them to 168grn SMK as far as I can tell but mine still doesn't shoot them well. I'm trying to get a 168 grn hunting load worked up that will give me MOA at 200 yards. I've tried two different powders, 12 different kinds of 168-165 grn bullets, different seating depths, you name it. Anyways, I'm thinking of taking any advice right now. Should I try a heavier bullet? I'm thinking 180grn accubonds next. Please respond with Savage 11 LRH .308 loads. On another forum I was only getting responses about how good the 6.5 shoots or in some other model of savage. thank you.

Basic Member
    I haven't found too many 308's that don't like 44grs of IMR 4064 with a 175SMK, anda CCI 200 Primer. I've ran this load with multiple brass makes and still wound up with 1/2 MOA or better. I am running a 26" McGowen 10twist Varmint contour though. Like I said though, I haven't found too many 308's that don't like that load!

Forgot to add COAL of 2.8"

...So "as far as you can tell" the factory tunes a hunting rifle, for use with an old match bullet??......

For grouping that close (200) no way would I be using boattails, hasn't had enough time to go to sleep yet.
    Without specifics, no one can offer load advice.
    Are you full length sizing or neck? Are you trimming, how much jump are you trying, how much have you tried, what powders have you tried, which loads in each?..... Is the barrel floated, is the action tight, is the scope tight, is the scope verified...

My car doesn't run. I've tried everything, you name it, can someone help me with what to fix?

Same question and detail
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Team Savage
    Like Dakkar suggested - we need more details in order to provide educated guesses.

Basic Member
    In my experience, it's harder to find a load for the 308 that "doesn't" work! :-))

Basic Member
    Imr 4064 165-168 gr bullets ww brass br-4 primers 41.8 or 44.8 working well for me in 3 rifles. 60-70 temps might try some tac if I get a chrono to compare ES. Remington brass was 1gr less. Imagine federal is too. Pulled apart a ww 180 it had 45.2 grains of really fine powder. Worst shooting ammo in our 22" barrels.

jersurf101
    41 gr of 4064 and a 168 gr berger work well in my model 11 THXP. New Hornady match or Nosler brass. Winchester LRP. 1/10 twist rate and my rifle likes the bergers close to the lands. This load is .5 MOA is a stock Savage 11 with the Nikon scope for me. YMMV

aka:Cliff
    I just worked up some loads. I'm having the same issues you are.

My current loads are 150gr FMJ, 44.6 gr Varget & #9 1/2 Primers.
    I'll let you know how the group.

If I do an OCW or any other type of load workup and cant get the groups I want I check some things. First. Action screw torque, scope bases and rings and if it is someone else shooting I look at their form and rifle support. Secondly I would look at the scope, load recipe with regards to the bullet weight and barrel twist. So your post begs for answers to some questions.

What scope are you using ie...Brand, magnification, series. What base and rings are you using?
    What does your load consist of? Projectile brass primer and powder.
    How heavy is your trigger?

I use a Nosler or Sierra hunting bullet. I use R15 and Varget but have had success with 4064 as well. There are a few other powders that work but i have been happy with velocities around 2650 with the 165 class bullet. Federal makes some good factory loads.