Thread: Model 25 extractor removal

Long Carabine

Model 25 extractor removal

Just got my new Model 25 Walking Varmiter I had ordered. Shoots excellent. Couldn't find any affordable .22 Hornet ammo, but I did find a box of Privi Partizen .22 Hornet 45 grain for a fair price, so I shot these rounds for zeroing in.

Three 3 shot groups @ 100 yards;
    .928"
    .943"
    .641"

I shot these groups using a Harris bipod while lying on the ground, so I feel they were very good with factory ammo. Off a bench with sandbags should be even better.

But I had a couple of cases fail to extract. The groove in the extractor doesn't seem to be deep enough to get a real good bite on the rim of the case. I then tryed some Remington cases I have and the same thing. Sometimes failure to pull case from chamber. Dang it I wish Savage could get their act together on making rifles extract, as I had the same problem with a Model 40 .22 Hornet I owned.

Does anyone know how to remove the extractor on a Model 25 bolt, as I would like to deepen the extractor groove a little and lengthen the extractor spring some.

It looks like a spring loaded plunger holding in the extractor, but how do you get the plunger pushed back to remove the extractor?

I plan to contact Savage, and hopefully they might send me a new extractor and spring. I don't want to send the rifle back when I can do this myself.

I am not even going to try reloads until I can get 100% extraction.

Just a thumbs up on the Privi Partizen Hornet ammo, costs half as much as American Hornet ammo and shoots as good or better. A good scource for brass!

If you reload Privi, be careful, mine had .060" flash holes.

Long Carabine
    Short round, I sized my Privi cases and the flashhole is the same as my Remington cases. Maybe they changed them.

I finally got the extractor out. Sharpened a fine screw driver and tapped it in between the the plunger and the extractor, pushed it back, lifted up on the extractor and popped it out. itn is made like a Sako extractor.

I put a slightly longer spring in, hope this gives better extraction.

Savage Arms is on vacation until about the middle of July, so I will have to wait to contact them. Maybe I can get them to send me a new extractor, pin and spring.

Flyndutchman
    I have had a similar problem with a couple of PP cases failing to extract. When I measured the rim diameter of the offending cases, it was smaller than what hornet spec is supposed to be and the rim was not formed right, badly sloped. All of the larger diameter cases extract without a problem. I bought a box of Rem factory ammo for the brass (OUCH!). When I measured the rim diameter of it, it is small too. Haven't had a chance to shoot any of it yet. The PP brass seems to hold up good and flash hole size seems to be the same size as my 222 and 223 brass.

Long Carabine
    Flyndutchman, I too have a box of Remington cases and after checking the rim with a 1" micrometer, they are smaller in diameter than the Privi case rims.

I really dislike having to carry a cleaning rod with me when I shoot this rifle, just so I can remove stuck cases. Especially since that was the main reason I got rid of the Savage Model 40 that I owned.

Hoping when Savage company gets back off vacation, I can get a new extractor and spring from them, but who knows if this will even cure the problem.

I have been shooting for almost 50 years, and I have NEVER had problems with any brand of rifle extracting cases except the .22 Hornet in a Savage model 40 and this Savage model 25!

Flyndutchman
    Got a chance to shoot some of the Remington ammo today. Fired 15 rds and never had a missed extraction. I'm glad I'm not relying on this load. It gave a pattern, not a group. I had decent accuracy with the PPU factory loads. Had one out of the box of 50 that would not fire. Must have been a dud primer. Pulled the bullet and salvaged the case. The Rem brass is thinner than the PPU. The Rem neck is 0.008 and the PPU 0.009-0.0095 according to my friend's mic. I wanted to see if the Rem brass might shoot better. I don't think it will hold up as good over the long run. Time will tell.

Long Carabine
    Yes Flyndutchman and those Remington loads are about a dollar a shot!

I miked the rims on the Privi and the Remington cases, and the Priv seem to run .002"-.003" larger diameter than the Remington.

Gunnutty
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Carabine View Post
    Short round, I sized my Privi cases and the flashhole is the same as my Remington cases. Maybe they changed them.

I finally got the extractor out. Sharpened a fine screw driver and tapped it in between the the plunger and the extractor, pushed it back, lifted up on the extractor and popped it out. itn is made like a Sako extractor.

I put a slightly longer spring in, hope this gives better extraction.

Savage Arms is on vacation until about the middle of July, so I will have to wait to contact them. Maybe I can get them to send me a new extractor, pin and spring.

I cannot get my extractor tooth out for nothing! I see that you have to pull down the plunger, and then wiggle out the extractor. But screw me I can't get it out. Did you put the bolthead in a vise while you did this?

El_zilcho

Model 25 extractor removal

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    I cannot get my extractor tooth out for nothing! I see that you have to pull down the plunger, and then wiggle out the extractor. But screw me I can't get it out. Did you put the bolthead in a vise while you did this?
    I had the same extracting problems, called savage and the sent me a new updated extractor under warranty. It was pretty easy to get out. I used needle nose plies to grip the extractor, pushed in back into the plunger, and rotated away from the bolt face in one motion. Popped right out.