Just got my new Model 25 Walking Varmiter I had ordered. Shoots excellent. Couldn't find any affordable .22 Hornet ammo, but I did find a box of Privi Partizen .22 Hornet 45 grain for a fair price, so I shot these rounds for zeroing in.

Three 3 shot groups @ 100 yards;
.928"
.943"
.641"

I shot these groups using a Harris bipod while lying on the ground, so I feel they were very good with factory ammo. Off a bench with sandbags should be even better.

But I had a couple of cases fail to extract. The groove in the extractor doesn't seem to be deep enough to get a real good bite on the rim of the case. I then tryed some Remington cases I have and the same thing. Sometimes failure to pull case from chamber. Dang it I wish Savage could get their act together on making rifles extract, as I had the same problem with a Model 40 .22 Hornet I owned.

Does anyone know how to remove the extractor on a Model 25 bolt, as I would like to deepen the extractor groove a little and lengthen the extractor spring some.

It looks like a spring loaded plunger holding in the extractor, but how do you get the plunger pushed back to remove the extractor?

I plan to contact Savage, and hopefully they might send me a new extractor and spring. I don't want to send the rifle back when I can do this myself.

I am not even going to try reloads until I can get 100% extraction.

Just a thumbs up on the Privi Partizen Hornet ammo, costs half as much as American Hornet ammo and shoots as good or better. A good scource for brass!