Thread: Help me with this axis thing

sav250

Help me with this axis thing

I own a 14 and a 93r in Center and Rim Fire but I hear of the Savage Axis.

I have never seen one. I am sort of biased in a conventional way and I am swayed classical. I would rather buy a regular 14 instead of an axis.

Basic Member
    Really depends on use. I have a .223 axis bare bone 267 big box special. Did some (a lot) trigger work to and added a weaver rail and steel weaver mounts carrying a 4-12x42 Redfield scope. Lastly cheap sling. This may be one of.the.fugliest rifles out there but its out of.the box sub moa for 3 rounds. Then the little sporter barrel needs.to cool down or it opens up a bit. I consider it an all around varmit rifle lightweight a pleasure to shoot and carry. Capable of taking deer with good ammo easily out to 150 yards.

I also gave my daughter's .308 Axis/boyds stocked rifles. They are great deer rifles. Nothing.fancy but nice and one has to look hard to find better looking or handling rifle for the same 650 total these put me out. Though I would hate to count.the hours we put into making them into what "we wanted".
    That said for a little more you can still find 10/110 & 11/111 rifles but classics still gonna cost significantly more then any of the above.

Is used an option? See nicely setup 14 classics for 750 and sometimes less with cosmetic issues
    So again I would ask what kind of use did you have in miind and.what kind of.budget ?

cranebird
    Sav250, Sentimental value creeps into the Axis through time spent tinkering with them. They will shoot pretty well out of the box with a simple trigger mod but if you are biased about the 14, it might be best to buy a 14.If you dream of building it into something else, the axis will get you started at a bargain basement price.
    Last edited by thomae; 07-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    Really depends on use. I have a .223 axis bare bone 267 big box special. Did some (a lot) trigger work to and added a weaver rail and steel weaver mounts carrying a 4-12x42 Redfield scope. Lastly cheap sling. This may be one of.the.fugliest rifles out there but its out of.the box sub moa for 3 rounds. Then the little sporter barrel needs.to cool down or it opens up a bit. I consider it an all around varmit rifle lightweight a pleasure to shoot and carry. Capable of taking deer with good ammo easily out to 150 yards.

I also gave my daughter's .308 Axis/boyds stocked rifles. They are great deer rifles. Nothing.fancy but nice and one has to look hard to find better looking or handling rifle for the same 650 total these put me out. Though I would hate to count.the hours we put into making them into what "we wanted".
    That said for a little more you can still find 10/110 & 11/111 rifles but classics still gonna cost significantly more then any of the above.

Is used an option? See nicely setup 14 classics for 750 and sometimes less with cosmetic issues
    So again I would ask what kind of use did you have in miind and.what kind of.budget ?
    I don't have a budget really. If I decide to add a rifle I just do it to see if it is what it says it is or because I like the caliber and the caliber is hard to find.

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    That pretty much sums me up in a nutshell lately. Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.

Sav250, Sentimental value creeps into the Axis through time spent tinkering with them. They will shoot pretty well out of the box with a simple trigger mod but if you are biased about the 14, it might be best to buy a 14.If you dream of building it into something else, the axis will get you started at a bargain basement price.
    I'm not biased in Savage. Savage is good and I know this from early to late and lately I am more impressed with Savage than Rem or Win or Rug or whatnot.

I have said the last rifle I would keep would be my .250 Savage in 14 Savage but if it was a 99 or some other Savage I am sure I'd be just as nuts about it.

cranebird
    I find it difficult to believe that you've never seen an Axis. They are everywhere !
    I don't think we should try to make up your mind or tell you what to buy. You must draw your own conclusion and figure out what you want.

Ivan
    Last edited by thomae; 07-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I find it difficult to believe that you've never seen an Axis. They are everywhere !
    I don't think we should try to make up your mind or tell you what to buy. You must draw your own conclusion and figure out what you want.

Ivan
    But I haven't seen an Axis! I am not kidding. I haven't looked for one. They are all over you say. I was in 4 gun stores lately that had NO Savages. The Savage I got came from MO not IL! Savage is not in IL so far that I can tell.
    Last edited by thomae; 07-08-2014 at 08:04 AM.

I have recently bought a Ruger American, and a Savage Axis. There are things I like about both, and things I dislike about both. Kind of a toss up I guess, but as far as I know, the Ruger is 100% american components & assembled. The Axis, I'm not sure. I know Savage is an old american company,,,but so is American Standard plumbing fixtures :) If I had to chose, I'd go with the AMERICAN. It shoots 3 shot sub moa groups out of the box as well. If budget is not a concern, buy one of each one that tickles your fancy, try'em out, and give me the ones you don't like :) Gary