Thread: 6.5 saum

Basic Member

6.5 saum

Anyone here currently using a 6.5 SAUM, and what is your consensus. I plan on building one using a 26" heavy sporter and 140's for target and hunting. Seems to very nice cartridge compared to a 6.5x284 speed wise, and longevity.

Basic Member
    looking hard at a 6.5 WSM. What is the difference in performance?
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    Rooster,

The 6.5 SAUM 4S is suppose to be the hot new cartridge that will shoot either 130/140 projectiles using H1000. Not to hot rod the cartridge, and get low pressure while maintaining excellent speed. 130 fly around 3250 fps, and 140 around 3100 depending on barrel. Barrel life is suppose to be great. Check out GAP extreme hunter 6.5 SAUM.

cranebird
    Bullets.com has 7mm SAUM brass available as does the open range(Rem brass though) if your looking for brass to neck down.I wasn't able to find H1000 powder available locally within a 200 mile radius when looking so I gave up on the thought. Apache gun works lists a 6mm SAUM and the 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) reamer, the thought of the 6mm SAUM had me drawn to it like a bug to light. It will most likely will still be my third build if I get that far.

Basic Member
    I wonder if anyone here has built a 6.5 WSM and if so are they happy with it?
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

I've built one and built a couple for friends. Essentially identical performance of the SAUM and slow burning powders also work best. 3100 plus is pretty easy to get and Lee sells some inexpensive dies for it and the wsm brass seems a bit easier to find. Works like a champ on long range white tails.

Being able to get brass would be a priority for me. Nod to the WSM.

Basic Member
    I have a 300wsm action that has been to SSS for the works. Think ya'll just made up my mind. Probably use 270WSM brass. Any suggestions on how much to turn it. Or brass prep in general.

Should just be able to neck it down with no problems.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Being able to get brass would be a priority for me. Nod to the WSM.
    Norma makes 7mm saum brass that is reasonable and it works well. You can also go with the 300 saum which is in stock. I have a bunch of Norma 7saum brass so I plan to go with the 6.5 SAUM. Once its done (winter time), I'll have to post my results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50 View Post
    I have a 300wsm action that has been to SSS for the works. Think ya'll just made up my mind. Probably use 270WSM brass. Any suggestions on how much to turn it. Or brass prep in general.
    I built a 6.5 wsm a few years ago and put about 325 rounds thru it before trading it away.
    I will say it was a very accurate gun that shot all bullet weights very well. I had settled on 63 gr h1000 w/140 bergers.
    That load put me well over 3300 fps according to drop data from the 26" Brux barrel.
    Reason i traded it was i have a 7mm that will duplicate the performance with heavier bullets.
    And i have a 30 cal that will duplicate the performance with heavier bullets yet.
    But those are personal choices that are determined by the distances and conditions of the area you hunt.
    You are wise to use the 300 wsm action, as the magazine plagued me on the model 11 action i started with.
    270 brass is the logical choice as its very easy to convert to 6.5. I would strongly advise using Norma brass
    however as opposed to Win. I blew numerous primers while load testing using Win. brass. Also had ejector
    issues due to that. I ended up replacing the bolt face. With the Norma brass it was if it were a different gun.
    The standard Lee 6.5x300 wsm dies worked very well. The neck was also to blame for the blown primers.
    I requested a snug no turn neck from the smith who chambered it. It was but it also wasent, and i would have benefited by cleaning up the necks
    on the cases. By the time i had the magazine issues resolved, the neck opened slightly and found the solution to the brass issue,
    my attraction to the cartridge had waned. Especially when comparing it to my other guns on the same rocks at longer distances.
    I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend the cartridge to someone looking for a long range deer sized cartridge for shots out to say 1000 yds.
    If the area you hunt has the potential to produce shots beyond that on a regular basis there would be better choices.

Basic Member
    Thanks Yobuck. That is pretty much the plan. Any experience with Remington brass. I had 150 Norma and sold them with my 270WSM a few years ago.
    Will probably shoot 130gr Accubonds in it for Antelope and Deer. Thanks for the tip on the Lee dies.

I would definitely go with a no turn neck.

Basic Member
    The Lee dies might take some time to warm up to as they will be different than other ones youve been using.
    But they will produce good loads. I always replace the lock ring on mine. My gun was finally straightened out
    by Chuck Macintosh of Macs gunworks in Gillette Wy. He builds a 6.5 wsm he calls the leopard, so he thouraly
    understands the cartridge. Check out his website. Also go to (Long Range Hunting) website and find (places to shoot) topic.
    There you will find the range operated by Chuck behind his shop. You can find out alot about yourself and your guns at a place like that.