Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger in savage

375 Ruger in savage

Anyone have one? how does it print?
    Did savage ever make one in a 375 H&H?

I want one to take to Africa in the near future.

I will be shooting factory ammo.

Should I get the hog hunter and put it in a new stock? or get the fcns?
    newbie from gr, mi.

sav250
    I've had the .375HH since 1995. Winchester and Remington Bolts. Earlier on I started with the push feed 70 with a nice long barrel. I went to the range. I went to Fort Lewis Saturday range for the civilians even though I was not a civilian. Often I would show up there just to shoot on a Saturday if I was home. It was a less than 2 inch grouper no matter heavy or light bullets (the light ones were actually better in accuracy and they were just .375 HH 270gr Core Lokts from the Green Country. They would stay under 1.5" at 100 as if the rifle was made more them.

Last .375HH I have bought is on the recall list. It's the CDL 100 Anniversary production of the .375 Holland and Holland Magnum from England in 1912 or whatever. It has only a 22" barrel which is the length of barrel most people seem to hate for being too short (or too long in other circumstances) and it has the ugly huge recoil pad that seems to cut out the best part of a Walnut buttstock.

On the bench it shoots like any other .375HH Magnum from Africa or North America or whatever classical continent and time: Always under 2" at 100 yards with any factory ammunition of any weight from 270 to 300.

I have not seen the sort of recent .375 Ruger in a Hawkeye or other or other. I have not seen a Ruger .375 ammo casing or ammunition. I have read the published ballistics. I have concluded the .375 Ruger has about a hundred more years of testing before my vote is in.

At one time Savage did make a 375 H&H. They are out there, but I don't see them for sale hardly ever. To build one into a repeater you would need the H&H/RUM length Savage action. As to the 375 Ruger, Savage does offer a couple of factory models in that chambering. It was basically designed to give 375 H&H performance in a shorter cartridge. I do not have one, but from all accounts, it seems to accomplish the goal (or close to it +/-). The H&H is a classic cartridge and (as Forrest Gump would say) goes with Africa like peas and carrots, for that reason if you could score one it would get my vote.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I have 9.3x62
    I wanted a 9.3x64 but that still won't meet the minimum criteria for some game/countries in Africa.
    So 375, I did see a savage 458 win mag on GB, but for that price I can get the CZ,

fcns is 24 inch
    while hog hunter is 20 inch,
    hog is SS
    on that note I am inclined towards the hog hunter.
    newbie from gr, mi.

sav250
    There has been over the last couple or more decades since the introduction of the Winchester Model 70 .458 Winchester Magnum over the expensive double barrels from Europe a railing on using a .458 Winchester (or Lott which just gives more versatility) for "long range" shots in Africa on lighter than elephant game. So what. Use the open sighted .458 Winchester and kill anything around and under 100 yards and forget the .30-06 or .300 Magnum you take as the second rifle for "long range."

A .458 Win or Lott is all needed in the world and if the range somehow exceeds the over 2K fps MV of the Lott with 500 gr bullets then I really doubt a .300 or .338 leper is going to make a dent of difference.

I took out my only .458 about a year or more ago using open sights. It's the Ruger 1 Tropical .458 Lott single shot.

If I had to put one shot somewhere under 100 yards to stop something immediately that is huge it would be this rifle from Ruger. I never had to adjust the open sights on it. It is on target like any respectable rifle maker does for their rifles.

Savage was on target for me with a rim fire and a center fire the first time around in the bolt action. The 99 is another story cuz I had one in .243....

Basic Member
    The 375 Ruger is a great cartridge. I've been running a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan for about 7 years and over 800 rounds (I bought the first one that the gun shop could get in) and it's been my primary elk rifle the whole time. It shoots the 260gr Accubond in to .75" clover leaves all day long with the VX-3 2.5-8x scope mounted in Warne QR rings. The cartridge is capable doing anything that the H&H will do, but do it in a smaller, more affordable package. I actually sold my Winchester Model 70 375 H&H after I got the Ruger.

As far as running the caliber in a Savage, I think that it's a great match. Savage make a model or two in this caliber. The case feeds better than any belted case I've played with in a push feed action and it runs out of a standard long action. Any belted mag action will work with no modifications to the magazine. It's worth noting though that the Savage factory 375 Rugers are all built on large shank actions.

Andrew

Team Savage
    I would get a 375 ruger.
    The new savage rifles are not control feed and have a bottom bolt release which I hate.

I bought a 375 ruger barrel here and screwed it onto and older control feed action I already had and dropped i tin a duramax stock.
    A real thumper and Mcgowen or others can make you a barrel.

Right now I am building a 9.3x62 Mauser which is interesting.

sdeeter19541
    I have an Alaskan Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger. From my reading, you want to have the longer barrel for Africa as there is only 18 inches of usable barrel in the Brush Hunter and that supposedly costs you performance (like any rifle).

I run a middle of the road 4064 load under 235gr Barnes bullets, but its pretty mild to the factory Hornady ammo from what I've read.

One thing is that its not a widely used caliber, and finding ammunition abroad would be my only concern with taking it to Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I would get a 375 ruger.
    The new savage rifles are not control feed and have a bottom bolt release which I hate.

I bought a 375 ruger barrel here and screwed it onto and older control feed action I already had and dropped i tin a duramax stock.
    A real thumper and Mcgowen or others can make you a barrel.

Right now I am building a 9.3x62 Mauser which is interesting.
    Good Point,
    so get a donor 30-06 control feed action
    er shaw 375 20 inch barrel
    boyds thumbhole stock
    low power scope (which one?)

I have a CZ in 9.2x62,
    I want a 9.2x64 but I can't find someone to make me a barrel :-(.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Team Savage
    I am just trying out a Primary Arms (PA) 1-6X scope on a 338 fed AR10 and its pretty nice. It does not have a conventional retical.
    Whenever they get a new supply in they sell out in a day so you have to get on their watch list and jump on it.
    PA 1-4x is nice too.

Not sure if they will stand the recoil, otherwise a leupold.
    I had a Leupold 2-7x on mine.

The 375 Ruger has good long distance trajectory with the right bullet.

tammons,
    where is the scope available?
    I looked at some youtube vids, they look great, I don't mind the reticle...
    newbie from gr, mi.

Team Savage
    Only from Primary arms. They have them made for primary arms.

Chinese but nice.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...opes_s/919.htm

sdeeter19541
    I am just trying out a Primary Arms (PA) 1-6X scope on a 338 fed AR10 and its pretty nice. It does not have a conventional retical.
    Whenever they get a new supply in they sell out in a day so you have to get on their watch list and jump on it.
    PA 1-4x is nice too.

Not sure if they will stand the recoil, otherwise a leupold.
    I had a Leupold 2-7x on mine.

The 375 Ruger has good long distance trajectory with the right bullet.

I've never seen a decent long range balistic for the 375...its like lobbing the bullet to 200 yard. I run a 235 grain Barnes that is about the lightest 375 cal bullet and it drops almost 10 inches at 200 yards.

Team Savage
    You must be shooting a weak 235 gr load.

A 250 gr TTSX full house 375R load will shoot as flat at 2850-2900 as any other caliber with the same BC of around .425 at that speed.
    A 250 gr TTSX running at 2850 zeroed at 100 yards will drop 3" at 200 yards.

The right 375 R load zeroed at 200 yards pretty much matches the substentions for the PA 1-6X scope above.

Tammons, thanks I found it, buying the 1-4x for now, what is up with the other one, why is there such a high demand for the 1-6?

sdeeter, I am not looking for a long range gun, more like a bush/dark timer gun.
    but that is good to know about the drop,
    200 yards will be outside my comfort range,
    newbie from gr, mi.

sdeeter19541
    Yeah, I don't know where tammons got his info, EVERY ballistics I've seen regarding the 375R showed a huge drop...its a 200 yard round, big energy but huge drop. My rounds aren't hot, but they're not mild either.

I've got a 1.5x4.5 mounted on mine...its a cheap "magnum" scope but I have yet to see if it will hold up. I wanted something with a wide FOV, again; using it within 100 yards.

sdeeter19541
    And with that I'm out...

Team Savage
    The 1-4X is a good scope.

Such a high demand because there is nothing else out there like it in that price range.
    If you go on the notify list you will be notified when in stock and you have to jump on it.

I bought one, then about 8 hours later thought geez I think I would like to have two, but they were sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by sdeeter19541 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know where tammons got his info, EVERY ballistics I've seen regarding the 375R showed a huge drop...its a 200 yard round, big energy but huge drop. My rounds aren't hot, but they're not mild either.

I've got a 1.5x4.5 mounted on mine...its a cheap "magnum" scope but I have yet to see if it will hold up. I wanted something with a wide FOV, again; using it within 100 yards.
    sdeeter,
    I agree that sounds like a hot load but though it is near max it is doable,

check out this, 84 grains, woaaaa!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...375-Ruger-RL17
    newbie from gr, mi.

Team Savage
    With a 22" bbl I got about 2730 with the 270 gr TSX with RL15. Supposedly with RL17 you can get more FPS. I had just gotten my barrel when RL17 first came out and you could not find it anywhere so never tried it.

The barnes site has a 270 gr TSX load out of a 24" barrel going 2840 or so over H380.
    Also has a load on the barnes site for the 235 grain TSX at 3050 FPS so its not a slow pokey.

I also loaded some 225 grainers when I had mine and thought the recoil was a lot more harsh than the 270 TSX.

Basic Member
    I wouldn't consider the 375 Ruger a short range caliber at all. The 270 gr 375 Ruger trajectories are very similar to a 30-06 with a 180, actually a little flatter. I zero my Ruger at 200 yards and it drops 8" at 300 yards with either the 270gr Hornady SP or the 260gr Accubond. These are pretty mild loads as well. I have over 8 firings on some of my cases and the primers are still tight.

With the VX-3 2.5-8 duplex reticle scope that's mounted on there, that means that the scope is zeroed at 200 yards (about 1.75" high at 100) and I can hold the top of the heavy post in the reticle dead on at 300 yards and hit. Ringing a 10" steel gong at 300 yards from field positions is easy and it's great practice for elk season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Good Point,
    so get a donor 30-06 control feed action
    er shaw 375 20 inch barrel
    boyds thumbhole stock
    low power scope (which one?)

I have a CZ in 9.2x62,
    I want a 9.2x64 but I can't find someone to make me a barrel :-(.

Don't waste time finding a .30-06 CRF action to build a .375 Ruger on. Find a donor in 7mm RM, .300 WM, or .338 WM as they'll be the most common. It'll save you money from having to have a smith open up the bolt face and work the feeding the larger case.

A lot of companies make a 9.3mm barrel, so I don't know what the issue finding one is? If it's finding a smith with a reamer you can always rent one. This way you can have the rifle you really want.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...7&tname=rental
    http://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=405

There are very few countries in Africa that don't allow the 9.3 for dangerous game, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Team Savage
    Good point, as Savage never made a .473 case size CF action.

Good point, as Savage never made a .473 case size CF action.

I didn't mean for building on a Savage action, just pretty much whatever action you choose. However, I probably wouldn't build a .375 Ruger with the availability of them from Savage, Howa and Ruger. I'd just buy the rifle with the barrel length that I wanted. I built a .375 Ruger when they first came out but used a donor 7mm RM on a Winchester push feed action, just simply because I couldn't get my hands on a Ruger or a regular .375 H&H in my price range. I have about $580 in the build, and it shoots well enough to keep me happy, I run a 1.75-6 VXIII on my .375 Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    Don't waste time finding a .30-06 CRF action to build a .375 Ruger on. Find a donor in 7mm RM, .300 WM, or .338 WM as they'll be the most common. It'll save you money from having to have a smith open up the bolt face and work the feeding the larger case.

A lot of companies make a 9.3mm barrel, so I don't know what the issue finding one is? If it's finding a smith with a reamer you can always rent one. This way you can have the rifle you really want.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...7&tname=rental
    http://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=405

There are very few countries in Africa that don't allow the 9.3 for dangerous game, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    taylorce, thanks bunch for the 4-d headsup, it will be quite economical to get a 9.3x64 barrel from them. I already have the dies/brass/loaded factory ammo :-).
    newbie from gr, mi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast