Thread: First Savage Build--Long Range Yote Rig

dakotamike

First Savage Build--Long Range Yote Rig

I have enjoyed other people's pictures, so I thought I would post some of my own for a change.

I have been putting together parts for a while for my newest addition to the family. I started out with a Model 11 Hunter, nonaccutrigger. My goal is for a long-range coyote sniper. In the winter, I often spot coyotes laying on the hillsides or by cover sunning themselves. Hopefully I can pick them off from a distance before they are startled and run.

Model 11 Action CF DBM
    CBI 243 Improved 1:8 twist Light Varmint--slightly used
    Rifle Basix Model 1 trigger
    Model 12 VLP stock, bedded--used

I do have a Vortex 6-24x50 PST to mount on it, but it went back to Vortex for warranty work a week ago. This was my first attempt at bead blasting stainless. I am pretty happy with the results. I will try to remember to post some pics once everything is together. Still a few more mods to complete.

Karstan Cheek Rest
    Duracoat
    Scope, Reticle Level, Caps
    Better scope base--not impressed with the Weaver, too much slop

I already have 100 rounds of Lapua brass that were fireformed to the barrel (came with the barrel). Picked up some 105gr. Hornady Match BTHP. I plan on trying some IMR 4831, Retumbo, and H1000. I will post pics and loads as I get things done.

Basic Member
    Looks fantastic. Very similar to my 22-250.

Dont mean to sidetrack but what issue did you have with the scope. I have a pst on my 22-250 I am beginning to wonder about.

dakotamike
    I am not sure what was wrong with the scope. I got it at a substantial discount because it was a demo. I had it mounted on my 300WM Sendero and my group size tripled. I could not seem to eliminate the parallax or get a decent focus above 9 power. Switched back to the 4-16 and everything went back to normal. I have just decided to leave things alone and put the new scope on the new rifle. Hopefully Vortex warranty works out for me.

Basic Member
    Same boat here. New gun first ladder test produced a 2" group...everything after that has looked like crap. It was a demo as well so ive been concerned. The crosshairs seem cant'd as well but that could be an illusion.

Basic Member
    That sounds like a trend. Glad I passed on those. Went with a used VX ii 6-20x40 lrv and nib cheapo vx ii 3-9x40.

Am looking for 1 more scope for a brush gun. Thinking Minox ZA 5I 2.5-10x50 or save a few bucks and go Burris 3.5-10x50 Fullfield 30 European Riflescope 3P#4 LRS Electro-Dot Reticle $329 vs $429.

I really like the idea of illumination though the vx ii scopes I am using now are a world of difference in low light compared to my 2 Redfields at dusk.

Then I see the rcbs powder measure/combo on sale at Natchess for $289 with the rcbs $50 rebate seems like a no brainer.

Bust out another grand and stop an get a psych eval for this disease!

Basic Member
    Scope checked out fine. Still can't explain the ladder test I did

For bases I like the 2 piece Burris xtreme steel and the lowest possible rings that will work. Rails like that always put the scope too high for my liking.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Rifle looks great- can't wait to see how the 243ai does for you.