Thread: food storage

Basic Member

food storage

Has anyone tried the products from Wise Food Storage? I'm not into prepping or some kind of conspiracy nut, but I thought it might be a good idea to have something on hand.
    Many years ago when I lived back east, power was lost for two weeks due to a continuing ice storm. Power was down everywhere and folks were cleaning out their freezers and cooking on their outdoor grills.
    The stuff seems pricy and they even want all your info for a "free" sample to try.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Stay with Mountain Home. Wise isn't as good. Here's a little reading from a forum I loiter on once in a while.
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=245561
    That's the address to a thread about the comparison for taste and storability, etc.

We keep a few weeks worth on hand in case of another 2004 hurricane season. Going without power for 3 weeks really sucked rocks although bar-b-que every night wasn't too awfully bad.

PS - on a camp out / hiking trip last March we brought some Mountain Home food with us. It's really not bad at all. It doesn't stack up to Mama's Lasagna but it was something to eat that didn't taste like garbage. A little hot water and instant beef and gravy.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

NLPeaden
    Usually, your local hospital has a cafeteria with hot food available 24/7; and they have backup generators and food storage to last for a good while (did you know phone companies [landline; regulated only] have 30 days of diesel fuel to continue 100% operation?). As an engineer involved in restoration of power after hurricanes, I have come to find hospitals as a reliable means for supper at night, the first restaurants we restore power to become inundated. We can restore power within a week so long as the city is not 30% flooded. Worst words to hear on the radio, "Large oak tree down; road blocked and impassible; our chainsaws are not big enough!"

Having been hiking and camping, Mountain House has great freeze dried food. Just add boiling water, wait, and eat with a spork. It tastes good and will keep you and yours going for days.

RichNH
    We have been stocking up on Thrive Life. http://www.thrivelife.com/ It can be expensive, but they do respond quickly if a problem. The one shipment I got that had a significantly dented can in it was immediately replaced.

Not storing food as yet, have been collecting food grade buckets from the bakery's at the local Acme stores then you will need to order Gamma Seal tops from home depot for like $3 dollars.
    Food grade buckets can be had from home depot for around $5 dollars then you can store anything you want in them.

NLPeaden
    Forgot this tidbit the other morning; if you do not need to be mobile, home-canned food will last for years in mason jars with proper recipes. You can use quality pressure canners for the absolute in food safety. While considering food, also consider the water supply. Sawyer makes nice little 100k gallon filters available in Wal-Mart for $20: http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/. You can also get a gravity system to feed unclean tap water or river water.

sdeeter19541
    If I lose power that long, and it gets that bad...I'll either be eating fresh venison or fresh beef. I don't have a rifle for target shooting.