Thread: Sierra 55 gr

blooper

Sierra 55 gr

Good day all, a new member here.
    My girlfriend, God bless her, contributed substantially to the purchase of my Savage Model 10 Predator in 22-250.
    Coyotes have become a problem in my area.
    From a previous life I have a good supply of Sierra 55 Grain boat tail bullets both in soft point and hollow point - which would be the most effective on coyote - saving fur is not a consideration.

I have always been a HP fan, but both will more than get the job done, the sender or the receiver, will never know the difference.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

What Dean said , over 40 + years of shooting and loading for 22-250 I have used both SP and HP . I like HP's because of less damage to the nose from mag's , but could never really find much diff. in accuracy.

I read somewhere that the 22-250 that was designed and originated around fox hunting, it is a good article I wish I could find it, I'll keep looking, and H380 is they original powder designed for this round, the 22-250 is one of those rounds that really benefits from AI.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I have never tried H380, but I have put many many lbs of IMR 4064 through several 250's one of them over 10,000 rds. before it went from less than 1/4 inch groups to 1/2 to 3/4.

Dean interesting you brought up the AI thing. I have a 26 inch Varmint weight factory Savage barrel setting here and have thought about trying it.

A 22-250 AI is on par with a 220 Swift, I have yet to hear anyone say they wish they had not AI there barrel, you have the perfect situation a barrel that you know, and with the rifling nice and broken in, and much cheaper than a new one, you know you don't have to AI all your brass, you can do only 50 pcs at a time and they will last a long time, and then you can go back and forth with the two barrels.

Dean

Basic Member
    Ive only ever had one 22/250 and thats an A I version. It started life as a mod 12 varmit in 223 i bought from a friend.
    It was my intent from the getgo to have it rechambered to 22/250. The smith i used is an old friend in Emporium PA.
    It only took a slight nudge from him to convine me on the A I chamber. He had sold his 22/250 and built a new gun on the 243 case.
    So he gave me a couple hundred rounds of his ammo loaded with h380 and 55 gr bullets. They shot very well in my gun as for groups.
    That said my opinion is the heavier bullets are better suited to the cartridge. In about 1950 my father bought a model 70 win in 220 swift.
    He always used 50 gr bullets and i believe 55 was about the largest available in the 50s. I dont recall us ever killing a groundhog beyond
    about 400 yds with that gun. Main reason was we couldnt hit them. A few years later my brother in law bought a 22/250 rem. and he could
    kill them just as far with that. Ive killed prairie dogs out to 600 or so using 69 gr smks in the A I 22/250. Beyond that i'll use a 105 gr in the 6x284.

sav250
    To me they're the same in accuracy and effect. Perhaps the HP has a bit more aerodynamic edge with a more sharper ogive at the tip.
    This question is like the SP v HP .22 Hornet and I can't tell the difference in either.

I don't know what twist you have, but I found some notes of a load I use to shoot out of my 14 twist 26" McGowen 22-250, 69gr sierra HPBT and 42gr of RL17 @ over 3800 FPS, I could not believe I stabilized 69gr with a 14 twist, I tell you those 69gr and 77gr are in a class of there own.

Dean

Frank V
    blooper

Welcome to the forum.
    I have no experience with the .22-250, but have shot a lot of both HP & SP bullets through various .222s & .223s. I've had great results with both. If pelt damage isn't a consideration I'd say shoot the one your rifle likes the best. Actually I'd probably go that route anyway.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

cranebird
    With my limited experience of reloading,I am really liking the IMR4064 powder for the 22-250.