Thread: Pillars and Bedding

reynoldsfamily3

Pillars and Bedding

I am about to order a Boyds Tacticool stock for my Stevens 200 7mm mag build. I will be ordering it for a DBM and a CDI (probably) bottom metal. I want to add pillars. I have read that I should install and bed the pillars first then bed the entire action to avoid stressing the action. I have also read to bed everything at once.

Which method has worked better for any of you? How do I ensure that I keep everything level and square during the process. I have read many articles about the bedding process, but I am having a hard time relying on the recoil lug to keep the barrel square.

Thanks for the help

Bill

Basic Member
    You can do both at the same time. You will need to use tape on the barrel and tang to set the height of the action. Setting the height before you do any of your stock work will insure that the finished product will look as factory as possible.
    As far as keeping the action square you should be able to line it up with the stock visually and the tape will help you center the barrel in the stock. Come to think of it if you wrap tape in two places on the barrel (front and back) if should self align. You might also want to view some videos on the subject as well.

reynoldsfamily3
    Thanks

Makes sense that taping the barrel would center it just fine; I knew it had to be done to free float the barrel, but had not thought about it also keeping the barrel square.

How much do you guys think it would cost to have a gunsmith to add pillars and bed a boyd stock. I am going to order one very soon and will probably have a gunsmith do it, I know i am very capable of doing this, but just aint got the time.
    [I]Bowers 2123[/I][COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Basic Member
    Sorry but I have no info to provide, I have never priced it.

Depends on your stock but Tom Meredith(www.tmss.net) is the go to guy. Before we started doing our own, he is who we used. His work is outstanding.

Jim