Thread: Savage mod 11 bolt striking ejection port

Crikey

Savage mod 11 bolt striking ejection port

G'day Fellas,
    Firstly let me say that the accumulation of knowledge I have seen in these forums over such a broad range of topics is just phenomenal!!!
    To the fellas taking the time to answer the relentless tide of questions you deserve a massive thank you, you really are contributing to keeping our sport and lifestyle alive.

Well now I've got down and earned some brownie points let me introduce myself, I'm an Aussie bloke living in remote outback New South Wales, I'm relatively new to shooting and just today became the proud owner of my first rifle. She's a Savage mod 11 FLNS in .243WIN. Synthetic stock, blind mag. I was excited to have a play but immediately upon cycling the bolt I realised the bolt head was striking and jamming on the front edge of the ejection port.

If I take care to cycle the bolt gently and focus on not applying pressure vertically or horizontally I can avoid this issue. However I will be using the rifle primarily for hunting and I can't imagine having to baby the bolt gently and calmly every time will be ideal. I was thinking of rounding the sharp edge of the ejection port with a file to see if it will deflect the bolt head more smoothly but thought I'd sound it out with you blokes first before before going all medieval on my new freezer filler.

cheers Fellas
    all help highly appreciated!!!

Depends where the head is contacting the receiver. I ASSume in the front, near where the lugs lock-up? on the top, or the bottom?
    It can be fairly common to have it strike the upper part of the receiver, due to feed lips interfering with the bolt.

Either tweek them, or just time and some wear; also said a *LITTLE* bevel with a file can help. Just don't get crazy with the cheesewhiz on your receiver and a file.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

This was all just covered last week. The search tool is your friend.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...atching-action
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Crikey
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    This was all just covered last week. The search tool is your friend.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...atching-action

Thanks I really appreciate the link, I have exactly the same issue. The search query I used didn't show up anything. I'll try and be a little more thorough next time. I think I may have been using the wrong terminology.