Thread: Recoil Lug Mod?

Question Recoil lugs, Machined Bolt Heads, and other more in depth Axis mods

Anyone here mill the face of the action back and use a regular style recoil lug on an Axis? I'm in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor on an Axis, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go to a standard recoil lug design and use a ground lug. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 06-24-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Basic Member
    If you go into the articles section JBaker did an Axis build and this is one of the steps he took in his build. A second large benefit is that while having this done the action is also being trued. I don't see anything, but benefits possible from this step.

I did not go this route, but have thought about it in the future. I now have an Axis action, M10 Action, and a M110 action, so I don't think I'll buy anything else. Just make them the best they can be for the purpose I build them for regardless of what I rebarrel them too.

Oh I know it would do nothing but help, just not sure if the amount of gain is is worth the cost/effort.

Basic Member
    That's been my issue too. All of my Axis builds shoot great as is, so I haven't had it done. It's tempting though.

I don't see it as a necessity by any means, but IF you're having truing/timing work done to your Axis action it just makes sense to go ahead and have this mod done in the process. The only time I'd say it would be a necessary mod is if you were rebarreling or re-chambering to a magnum cartridge with noticeably more recoil energy than a .30-06 (largest round offered in the Axis). The pocket fit lug is sufficient for moderate recoil from standard cartridges, but when you step up to the magnums you really should upgrade to the full lug.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Definitely going to be a light recoil. 6.5 Creed. With a brake. lol

I AM building a 338 Edge soon, but that'll be on a 111 action.

While we're talking serious axis mods, I'm gonna change the thread title and add to the discussion since I've got you 3 in here. :) (Hopefully you all see this, lol) If a mod sees this, can you change the actual thread title?

What are your opinions on bolt heads? I've thought about switching to a PTG machined bolt head. Do they fit the Axis? Is is worth the expense over the standard OEM bolt head?

Basic Member
    It will take some work on the edge of the lug abutments to get the Creedmoor to eject properly. If there's nothing wrong with the factory bolt head, there's no reason to change it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Why do you have to make adjustments to the recoil lug for proper ejection? Also, if you replaced with say a recoil lug from SSS would that solve the issue?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    It will take some work on the edge of the lug abutments to get the Creedmoor to eject properly. If there's nothing wrong with the factory bolt head, there's no reason to change it.
    Lug abutments and recoil lugs are not the same thing.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Sorry I misread that.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Fair enough. That was my main concern. The factory one is brand new, just wasn't sure if a ptg machined head had a definite advantage.