Thread: Excessive neck tension

kalli97

Excessive neck tension

Hello,

I have sized up new winchester.243 brass to 260 rem.I simply ran the 243 brass trough my 260 resizing die.I have done this in the past with once fired 243 brass and all is well.Now I have this new brass resized but bullet seating is extremely tight.I could not even pull the bullet back out of the case without destroying the bullet.Tried to anneal to soften it up but no help.So any way to loosen up neck tension after the fact?
    I could simply order 260 rem Lapua brass but would like to know how to do this resizing with 243 or 7mm-08 brass if need be?

Thanks

seanhagerty
    I have gone down all these roads. I have resized about everything that could be made into 260 rem. I have not found any to be more accurate than something made for 260 rem. Get some 260 rem brass, lapua, remington, Nosler, whatever....it will take any uncertainty out of the equation.

Shoot a few and then resize and try them. The necks should then be fine after expanding to the chambers size.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    The other thing to think about is this is new brass so there is no carbon in the neck to help reduce friction causing it to seem tighter.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Shoot a few and then resize and try them. The necks should then be fine after expanding to the chambers size.
    Just reduce your load excessive neck tension causes pressure spikes,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Just for S&G back the body of your seating die up a 1/4" turn (.018") then try seating a bullet.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

After resizing lower your expander in your die run it in and out 2-3 times. Then try to chamber the empty case in your rifle, if it's tight outside neck turning is in order. But try what Bill said first,for he has a lot of knowledge that I still lack and am very pleased to have him on this site,, thank you Bill!

Basic Member
    I have never had any problems resizing once fired or virgin 243 brass into 260 brass. I'm using Lee Deluxe dies,and always have 3 to 4 thousandths neck tension on my necks after resizing.

Basic Member
    I have this new brass resized but bullet seating is extremely tight.I could not even pull the bullet back out of the case without destroying the bullet.Tried to anneal to soften it up but no help.
    I might be out in the weeds , but I believe he may be crimping the bullets. 243 brass is .010" longer then 260, 2.035" vs 2.025" @ trim lengths. If his seating die body is set to the minimum for 260 brass his 243 brass necks could be a few thousandths into the bullet alignment portion of the die. If you look in a regular seating die you'll see a step where the neck portion stops and the bore for the bullet alignment starts.

Why I suggested backing the die body off a tad.

It would explain the hard seating especially is its at the top of the press ram stroke and why he has to wreak a bullet pulling it out.

Maybe???

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.