Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Heavy Barrel B Mag

Reeseman

I can only speak for my own limited experience with my new heavy barrel , but it shoots the 20 grain 1 1/4'' to 1 1/2'' pretty consistently at 100 yards . The 25 grain opens up to 1 3/4'' to 2.0'' at 100 at best . Mine appears to be picky about what it shoots . That's the only real negative thing about mine .

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainorshine View Post
    Eric,

What weight were you shooting, 20 or 25 gr? My sporter model seems to like the 20 gr. best. Also have you tried any kind of de-resonator on your sporter B-Mag? I put a Sims de-resonator on my rifle for the last few shots my last trip to the range and it seemed to help? I wasn't able to shoot enough (time and ammo), to give it a good test but hope to soon when I get another box of ammo. With the shortage of ammo I almost forgot how much fun these B-Mags are to shoot!!
    I was shooting the 20 grain at 3000 fps.

Reeseman
    Quote Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
    I was shooting the 20 grain at 3000 fps.
    Have you ever shot any 25 grain in yours ? If so how did it shoot ?

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeseman View Post
    Have you ever shot any 25 grain in yours ? If so how did it shoot ?
    Yes I have and it seemed to do better at 100 yards. I believe the heavier bullet might of helped with the crosswinds. To say that I had high and to the left fliers last time the wind was blowing left to right so I still think it has something to do with the ammo.

jugchoke
    Just picked up my heavy barrel today.
    Now to get a scope on it, and get to sighting it in.
    If it shoots good, likely will put a wood stock on it, but likely won't do much more than that.

Ammo? I think it's breaking loose a little bit, have found some at two lgs lately, and one big box store.
    About even with bullet weights. Unless CCI already produces a .17 caliber nail load, I would be surprised if they come out with loads themselves any time soon.

Besides the dealer that I had receive this one, (bought on sale on the net), I stopped at the dealer who is waiting on my AR in .17WSM. He said that he had numerous B-mags in the back room, but nobody wanted them because of the lack of ammo.
    Sure hope it is forthcoming, but I have managed to stock up a bit, just lately.

rona
    Glad you are able to buy shells for it. The suppliers around here have all dried up unless you want to pay 22.00 a box from Cabelas I always see a one box limit and the shipping and handling really adds up that way. It is the same or cheaper to go with 223.

jugchoke
    I missed some at WWM, $14.77 a box.
    I was #4 in line and #2 got it.

Otherwise, $19.99 at one lgs, 4 boxes.
    Then $17.99, another lgs, 5 boxes.
    Then, finally a new Academy close by, (or fairly anyway), numerous boxes and trips, @ $15.99.
    Seems to have them about half the time that I drop by.
    One or the other weight. Hit 'em again in the AM.

jugchoke
    Well, the new Academy seems to have dried up as a source.
    Maybe they just got a bunch for opening or something.

Haven't even got a chance to sight in the new HB B-Mag due to wife's health problems and the constant rain going on lately.

jugchoke
    Finally got the chance to sight it in today.
    Since my bore sighter doesn't have a .17 caliber spud, had to wing it. Took 15 shots to get it dialed in, and used 4 more to verify.
    Think it might be a keeper.
    Even though, I don't care for the way the mag loads, found out why people were complaining about the placement of the bolt handle, and yes, the stock sucks.

A little use, and I likely will get a Boyds stock on order.

Now to go find some more ammo!
    Still no show on the Franklin Armory AR. Should show up any day now. Plus got an E-mail from Volquartsen about their new auto in this caliber. Finally saying that they are scheduled to ship early next month. But of course that blow-back gun is even more expensive than the Franklin locked breech AR.

allrod73

Review of my SS B mag

I recently got a B mag and I have had no problems some of the others have noted after shooting for the first time I have great accuracy and hope that the problems some of the early models had have been fixed I did have some FTF on about four shell but I think it was the AMMO there was a good strike on each of the misfires the WSM 20 grains the 25 grains I tried fired every time.

MoToad
    Hey Folks,
    New to forum. Have a brand new heavy barrel BMag stainless sitting in my kitchen, scope mounted, all ready to go. Have had it for a couple of days now. And here's my word of caution. You all know how scarce the ammo is. For me, the only source right now seems to be Cabalas. I could see the problem and promptly ordered up 300 rounds of the 20 grain. Still waiting. Here the ammo has to go courier and it still has not arrived. I see this morning it is a day late and only a town away now so, hopefully this morning. So, anyone in my situation a good idea would be to get it rolling a few days before you actual purchase.
    Then, the other thing for me is the range. it's been snowing the last couple of days here and I imagine the range being located 10 clicks past the local ski hill may be hard to get to. Temps are up this morning and am hoping for just above freezing there. So, cummon ammo!

And it arrived. Back from the range now. 3 ft of snow. Had to tramp in. Zeroed the scope in 10 rounds. Drivin tacks at 50 yds. Didn't have my spotting scope with and seeing those tiny holes presents a problem. So no 100 yds. today. Fella did have a 22 target plinker there with metal targets and I asked if I could se what happens with the BMag. The hit wasn't thru but literally melted the metal into a frozen pool like a raindrop on a pond. His gizmo wouldn't last long with these rounds. All in all a lot of fun altho the action was a bit clunky with a couple of jams. Just chalkin it up to new tightness and will give it some time.:cool:

Basic Member
    watch basspro, they have had it recently with no purchase limit

rona
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    watch basspro, they have had it recently with no purchase limit
    X2 free shipping -no tax.

charb52
    shelves were full at sportsmans warehouse this morning!

MoToad
    Another warning/piece of advice for the B Mag and perhaps Axis to. I got lucky buying a scope for the B Mag. Got on the phone with the salesman rather than just put in an order. He pointed out that I would need an extra high set of mounting rings (Weaver Grand Slam 1"Extra High) because the bolt would not clear a normally mounted scope. He said he had mounted several on the B Mag now and this was the way to go. My Axis 308 is normally mounted and the bolt wont clear the scope with the caps on. And just by a c-hair with them off.

Basic Member
    medium mounts work ok on both my b-mags

MoToad
    I absolutely love this little rifle. All the Gophers around here are all snuggly in their little burrows now or I would be out there vaporizing a bunch just to satisfy my bloodlust. Heart of the mountains here so even snowshoeing can be a grunt with all the powder. May have to sit tight till the spring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12