Thread: My Heavy Barrel B Mag

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reeseman

My Heavy Barrel B Mag

I have owned Savage center fires for years but never could warm up to the rimfire line . Some of my friends owned them and I just did not like the magazine system . The 17 WSM caliber rimfire cartridge is what drew me to the B Mag . One of my friends bought an original model that shot well but was returned because of a broken ejector and replaced with updated version . I still was leery and finally bought the heavy barrel version recently . Mounted up my Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on Weaver Grand Slam rings and two boxes of 20 grain ammo .

Sunday was the first trip to the range . Sighted in at 50 yards , fired total of 20 rounds and gave the barrel a good cleaning . Fired five foulers and then shot first 5 round group . 3 shots tight and 2 fliers about 3'' out at 3 o clock . Fired 2 more groups and same basic results . I cleaned the barrel again and moved to 100 yards . I shot five more fouling shots and adjusted the scope a couple clicks to get on centered on target . Shot a 5 round group and it opened way up with extreme fliers at 3 o clock . I followed up with 2 more groups and the same results . I rechecked scope bases and rings nothing loose . Shot some 22lr out of my CZ and went home .

All day Monday I thought it over at work and decided to give it a good looking over when I got home . I checked the crown with a magnifying glass and used a Q Tip to check for any rough spots and it looked good . I gave the barrel another good cleaning and re checked action screws and the barrel for proper free float . All checked good .

Thursday my vacation days started so I decided to give it another try at the range before calling Savage for a return pickup . I gave it a few fouling shots and then shot a 5 round group . Same as Sunday . Bad fliers at 3 o clock and large spread in the group . This time I brought along some shims I had cut from cardboard and rubber strips . I started by shimming at the center of the barrel and fired some groups . The fliers got smaller as I moved the shims forward . I ended up with one thick rubber shim at the end of the forearm on the stock under the barrel . My fliers at 3 o clock are gone and its grouping between 1 1/2'' and 1 3/4'' at 100 yards . I think with some more rounds the barrel might break in and hopefully groups tighten a little more . I had read about pressure pads helping on the original B Mags a while back and decided it was worth a try . I have a use for the round and can live with the accuracy as my shots are usually around the 100 yard mark or closer where I hunt .I have never experienced a rifle that's so sensitive to change especially with a heavy barrel contour .
    Last edited by Reeseman; 06-20-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: mistake