Thread: 23B Sporter side-mount scope?

Question 23B Sporter side-mount scope?

I have a shooter-grade 23B in 25-20 that has holes in the left side that was apparently used for a side mount scope of some sort. The two holes are tapped 10-32, spaced 2.37" apart, and located at about the 10:30 position.

I'm wanting to find a mount that will fit and accept a 1" scope.

I tried to find info on fitment for the old T/N/U/etc letter-series Weaver mounts, as I'd prefer to have a one-piece, rather than the bulkier but still manufactured #2. The only thing I've determined is that the U are 1-inch, but I don't know if any will work with the 23B.

Does anyone know what side mount would likely fit without drilling more holes? Weaver #2 side mount base? Older Weaver U2?

Does anyone have recommendations for a resource on the older Weaver mounts?

Hard to find the older Weaver mounts, a U mount will be real hard to find but a T1, or T3 shouldn't be that hard, try Ebay.
    Savage- "never say never".

The Old Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Hard to find the older Weaver mounts, a U mount will be real hard to find but a T1, or T3 shouldn't be that hard, try Ebay.
    Wasn't there a Williams that was made to fit the 23B?

There was someone on ebay selling a U1 and a U2. That's actually what prompted my question.

Since I still haven't found any info on old Weaver mount fitment/usage, I just took a gamble and bid on the U2. It was cheap enough.

The U1 looked all wrong for the 23b, but the U2 may not be any better once it gets here.

I know nothing of the Williams' mounts. Any more info on those?

On the extremely remote chance that someone else is interested, I'll post my results with the U2 when it arrives.

Thanks.

I'd love to see how the U2 matches up with your gun.

I'm thinking if it fit your 23B it will most likely fit the 23AA and maybe even the 1922's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I'd love to see how the U2 matches up with your gun.
    Oops. It doesn't.

The inside set of holes line up perfectly with the holes drilled in my receiver. The contour of the mount matches very well, if not perfectly, with the circumference of the receiver. The rear of the mount looks properly centered above the bore, too.

Two problems that I IDIOTICALLY didn't think of...
    1. The receiver is tapered and the mount is "square". The scope ends up pointing quite a ways to the right.
    2. The mount is one piece. Very limited in scope selection. The chosen scope has to be able to slide in. Combine that with where the holes are drilled in my receiver and the scope is too far rearward.

Like I said, it was cheap enough to take a gamble. No great loss.

So, I'm still wondering what type of mount they had on my old 23b, and still haven't found a resource for info on old scope mounts.

The old Savage catalogs are showing whats called a Savage #20 scope and mount.

Pretty much all it is was a Weaver T1 or T2 mount but they were made for 3/4" scopes. that may be the only option you have unless you want to get it drilled and tapped for a set of Weaver 2 piece mounts on top of the receiver.