Thread: More Kudos for Criterion and Jim at NSS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

More Kudos for Criterion and Jim at NSS

I recently completed a budget FT/R build on an older Savage LA using a Criterion pre-fit from Jim at Northland. First, Jim was outstanding to deal with. When I called he answered the phone and very professionally said he was busy with a custom and asked if it was okay if he called me back. I said "sure" and, you know what? 15 minutes later HE DID! We had a nice discussion about what I was looking for and he gave me some good advice, opinions and recommendations. I got my 28" Bull 1:10 twist 308 barrel, a precision ground recoil lug and a new stainless barrel nut from Jim delivered in about 3 and a half weeks. I did the installation myself without any problems (no previous experience) and finished it off with a Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger, Choate tactical stock with adjustable butt plate and cheek riser, and a Sightron 8-32x56 1/8MOA Target Dot scope.

Today was the first time I did and decent work with it at the range. I had put some Winchester 180gr factory loads through it a couple of weeks previous. Didn't get very exciting results with it but then I was really only after the brass (have you tried buying bulk virgin Winchester brass these days?). Today, however, we struck some sweet paydirt with some ladders of 8208XBR and AR-Comp. I usually load five rounds per rung but if I get three consistent shots without screwing it up with a flyer I call it good. NOTHING that I shot with either powder was bigger than 0.72". AR-Comp was the more consistent and tighter grouping with it's worst being 0.59" and its best a sweet little 0.23" cloverleaf at 41gr.

Jim was great. Barrel kicks arse. And I, well, I am a happy, happy man.

kendall

Last edited by obiwannabe; 06-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.