Thread: Scope cap size for vortex viper

Scope cap size for vortex viper

I'm looking to get butler creek flip up covers for my new viper 6.5-20x44 and was wondering what size to get. According to Vortex the eye piece is 1.5" and the objective is 2". Should i buy the caps that are slightly smaller or the ones that are slightly bigger. They don't list ones for those exact sizes, i'm thinking the ones that are smaller but not sure if they have any flex to them.

Re: Scope cap size for vortex viper

Dont go by what Vortex says! They also say their 50mm bell is 2.5 inches, but I just measured mine and it is 2.26" ::). Good thing I measured it, right EFBell . Ed is ordering one of these scopes and was measuring to make sure his ring/base combo would be high enough. Turns out it isnt with the measurements on the Vortex site, but it will fit with the actually scope measurements. May have saved him $50 by having the right measurements.

I do not have a 44mm Viper to measure for you, but I'm sure someone here can give you the actual numbers. I have the chart for Butler creek and can give you the info you are looking for, as soon as someone posts the "actual" measurements of the bell and the eyepiece.

You putting a sunshade on it also? The size of it is slightly smaller than the scope itself.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

1.700" @ eyepiece
    2.033" @ big end
    1.968" @ sunshade
    laportecharlie

I'm getting really close the the same measurements. I have the butler creek chart that shows the sizes. Do i go with the size that is smaller or larger than my measurements for example do i got with 1.999 or 2.043 for the objective. Not sure how much flex there is built into the covers

TOO Builder

I found they do have a bit of flex but it is best if they are just a tad tight. When trying to get a set for my 4200 tac. the first size I tried was way to snug and the next bigger was a bit loose. I ended up wraping a piece of black electrical tape around the end of the sunshade and it fit perfect. The one on the eye piece end was a bit loose but it was tough to get a good fit with the fast focus ring. It was lost out in a pd town :'(. If they go on a bit tight try warming them up with a hair dryer, makes them a bit more plyable.

I'm interested in the correct fit for the 44mm Viper also since I just received mine a couple weeks ago. Keep us posted with your results. Thanks, TB

I used 2.043 for the objective and 1.700 for the eye piece and it worked out perfect