Thread: Long range scope?

MDM

Long range scope?

Just curious on what type of scope is best for long range target shooting? For 600yds or so. Variable or fixed power, reticle type. What power range etc. I want to build a 6BR and want to start thinking about optics as well, but I just don't know what people are using at these ranges or in 600yd competitions. I've got a Weaver T24, but didn't know if that was too much/not enough scope. I obviously want something that will track well. Any recommendations?

DGD6MM

Re: Long range scope?

I've used my Weaver T24 in comp out to 1000 yards and done verywell with it. I've also used it in tacticals and it is okay but the field of view is a little narrow. 600 yard F-Class it is fine. Hope this helps.

Basic Member

For 1,000 yard shooting I use a 5.5-22X50 NXS, a 6.5-22x40 Leupie and a 6-24X Weaver. I like vaiables because if the mirage gets real bad I can turn the power down and still see the target. If you are going to use it just for target shooting the 1" tubes will do fine but for hunting I want bigger bodies and objective lenses. If I was doing it all over again all my long range scopes would have 30mm tubes and 50mm lenses just for consistency.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

82boy

I can say first hand a variable power scope is the cats meow especially when dealing with long range shooting. I found using a Weaver t36 and trying to sight it in at 600 and 1000 yards, if you was not real close on your adjustments, you would not see the splatter,(where the shots are hitting) but if you have a variable power scope you can back the power down to say 25 power, and see where your shots are hitting or splatter. Also on heavy mirage days you can back the power down, and eliminate some of the mirage. To see 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards on paper it takes around 44 power and the light to be just right.

I have replaced my weaver T36 on my long range gun with a Vortex Crossfire 8-32 variable power and I have not looked back. I found that the optics of the Vortex are much better than the Weaver. The price of the Vortex is around $220, so it is dang near half the price of the Weaver. The only thing I don't care about for the Vortex is the do not have a fine target dot, like the Weaver, but the v plex is not to bad ,and it is livable.

If money is no object them get a Night force, the only downside to it is it doesn't have the range of adjustment that the Weaver and Vortex has, but besides that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    If money is no object them get a Night force, the only downside to it is it doesn't have the range of adjustment that the Weaver and Vortex has, but besides that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    How much more than 100 moa do you need?

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor...5_5-22x56.html

65 moa for the 8-32

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor..._12-42x56.html

82boy

Vortex has 75 MOA on their 8-32
    I was thinking of the bad boy 12x42 Br it has 40 MOA. The 8-32 Br only shows 50 MOA.
    http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor...st_models.html

I have the 8x32 "bad boy". Good scope, but I hate the locking focus ring. but once you get it set, I guess it's OK. I love the turrents and the accuracy and re-zeroing of the turrents, they are second to none dayum near!!!!!

I have a coupld of Swarvoski's, and they are my favorite with Ziess being second!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]