Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The McGowan wait.

The McGowan wait.

It has been a long time since I ordered a custom barrel, but it appeared to me most people were getting barrels pretty quick. Ordered the barrel on 8 January 14 a custom 300 wsm from Gunshack with an estimated 12 week delivery. Gunshack has communicated well with me, but very frustrating. I just don't get the long waits with these barrels. I now hope I can get it by hunting season. Seems like the appropriate response from manufacturers is always "it is going to gun smithing now." Same responses from Er Shaw and Shillen in the past and now McGowan. Gun smithing always seems to take another 3 months. No wonder I started buying pre-made pre-fits.

Just the way it is for a custom made barrel. I know it sucks but its always worth it in the end.

Basic Member
    I have had a Mcgowen barrel on order since Feb 4. I get the wait for a custom barrel, but the main reason I went with Mcgowen was the advertised 12 week lead time. Going on week 19 now... Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

DennisPA
    I'm in the same boat with Mcgowen I ordered Feb 3 for my wifes full custom barrel. She already missed one match this year because of late components more then just the barrel. She is not happy! I keep telling that's just the way it is when you do custom stuff.

I just don't know why the manufacturer will put a time of 12 weeks on it. Probably be better off if they just advertised 6-9 month waits. Sorry, for the rant. Just was wondering if there was anyone else out there overdue, and there is. Thanks.

Sucks, but another +1 toward Apache Gun Works...

Basic Member
    The ones advertised on mcgowenoutlet, prefit savage barrels...these arent the custom ones correct? These are standard offerings right? They say 2 week delivery or so

I believe the outlet advertising is that. Mine was ordered as a custom order through Gunshack to McGowan.

busted leg
    Mcgowenoutlet sent my 308 in 1 week,would have been sooner Memorial day

[QUOTE=Orr89rocz;267150]The ones advertised on mcgowenoutlet, prefit savage barrels...these arent the custom ones correct? These are standard offerings right? They say 2 week delivery or so[/QUOTE

I will explain the categories,

Pre-Fits are Savage barrels ready to be shipped when ordered.

Semi-Customs were taking up to 12 weeks, but we just reorganized/changed this around May of this year. Semi-Customs should be ready in less than 2 weeks now.

"Full Customs" are the barrels that don't fall in the above 2 categories and may take several months to build.

If you have additional questions, please PM me.

Dennis

Basic Member
    I have you all beat I ordered my Mcgowen on the 22nd of January and just recieved a email on June 12th that it has been scheduled and should be out soon. Thats 21 weeks today!!!! and I'll bet that it will still be a couple more....

Just got an email from gunshack. My barrel has shipped and is currently at the UPS facility in Helena, MT!

Basic Member
    I have been waiting for a full custom since Feb 7th. I have contacted McGowen a couple of times and they have been great at getting back to me and letting me know where it is in the process. The wait is sure a killer but with that said once its finished I will probably be on to the next one.... lol. Mine is going to be a 22-250 heavy sporter with 6 flutes and a custom throat for the 80 grain Berger VLD's. I cant wait for that email saying that its being shipped.

I have on McGowen barrel in 260AI and its a shooter...

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Ethan Beurskens
    Something to consider is how many barrels are on the list ahead of you. Barrels take quite awhile to make. One order can push the next orders back a month or a lot more.

~EB
    Last edited by Ethan Beurskens; 07-02-2014 at 07:28 AM.

DennisPA
    Got my email that my barrel shipped yesterday!! Can't wait to try it out. A little over 20 weeks which was better than all the barrel manufactures I contacted before ordering. Most were in the 22 to 26 weeks I think one was even close to 30.

Basic Member
    My email came on Tuesday. Barrel is in the mail!

My email came on Tuesday. Barrel is in the mail!
    Jason, great, I am glad to hear this. It's been tough this year and it's not slowing down.

Dennis

Basic Member
    Thanks Dennis. My barrel came today. I screwed it on and just need to bed the stock and shoot.

Got mine last week. It looks great! Working on getting it all together now.

DennisPA
    Got mine last night looks great too.

Glockin' Bob
    I ordered a pre-fit for my 112v, a 22-250 Rem, about a week and a half ago. After many years of paper and pdogs accuracy was falling off and the throat was getting pretty washed out of the original barrel. Ordered a varmint weight stainless pre-fit from McGowen and I was pleased that a couple of days later, it was on the way. It arrived within a week of me placing the order so big grin on my face. Friday night I pulled the old barrel off and popped the new one on. Great, it couldn't have gone any more smoothly! Reassembled the rifle and took it out to sight in this morning. First few rounds printed maybe an inch @ 100 yds. Then it started tightening up. By the time I had 10 rounds through the barrel, it was clover-leafing. Wow, haven't even tweaked the load for this barrel yet, shooting the same stuff I was shooting through the old stock barrel, 34 gr. Varget pushing a 52 gr. Sierra HPBT match.
    What I have noticed and am pleased with is that the chamber is tighter than the stock Savage chamber which should improve brass life. It shoots well already, some pdogs may not be as happy as I am. Extraction is smooth, everything looks good!

Kudos to McGowen!

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob View Post
    By the time I had 10 rounds through the barrel, it was clover-leafing.
    Kudos to McGowen!
    It should only get better. I got a McGowen 6BR barrel back in February. The first time out just guessing at what powder and load level to use I was getting sub half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I'm starting to get it dialed in I think. Yesterday I got my first 5 shot group ever in the twos, 5 at .296 at 100 yards, and I'm sure that is gong to shrink. Kudos to McGowen indeed.

I ordered a Savage Pre fit semi custom on 1-24-14. McGowen gave me and estimated lead time of 4-6 weeks. Called twice after the 6-wks and was told both times it was scheduled for contouring and should be completed in 2wks. Sent an email on 5-15-14 to check status of my order and the response was "your order is currently scheduled in contouring and should hit gunsmithing and be completed within the next 2 weeks". Sent another email yesterday to check status. Haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe it's taking so long because of the odd ball caliber, 260rem.
    "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"

Mine is going to be a 22-250 heavy sporter with 6 flutes and a custom throat for the 80 grain Berger VLD's.
    Any custom barrel is going to take longer like the example above. After the barrel is drilled and rifled, the rest should go smooth.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to send a PM.

Dennis

Basic Member
    I ordered a custom barrel through gun shack end of January....Ive had it a month and a half now. They forgot to thread the muzzle but I was refunded the that portion as I didn't want to send it back and not see it for a while.

I was also told that it will take much longer if they don't have a blank.

Doesnt look like Gun shack has the Custom option on their site anymore???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast