Thread: LRP stock issue (out in the field shooting PD's)

LRP stock issue (out in the field shooting PD's)

So, got the new LRP 243 to the prairie dog fields end of May. We had a blast as usual. The LRP shot up a storm and beyond the usual failure to cock/fire with the target accutrigger, things were generally good. My biggest issue with the flat bottom Hs Precision stock is that it's difficult to manage elevation changes with a small rear bag. I found myself having to manage the rear of the stock with my shoulder rather than just sliding the bag front to rear to change barrel elevation between varying ranges. I know there is a reason for the buttstock being flat at rear, but I don't know what the reason is. My specific question is: If I attempt to modify the bottom of the rear of stock, what will I be looking at? I thinking of cutting from the pistol grip area some amount to nothing at the buttpad. Will I be looking at open foam?

I'm not opposed to restocking the thing and selling the Hs stock. It looks like my choices are kind of limited because of the barrel channel and DBM. Limited in the sense that money is an issue.

Basic Member
    The stock is straight to better ride the rear bag. I would just get a taller front rest or bipod whichever you're using that would allow me to adjust for more elevation if shooting up an incline I prefer a 9-13" Harris pod for prone shooting personally.

There are also multipe bag options out there that may help as well https://www.tacticalworks.com/Shooting-Bags/. I can't tell you what HS uses in their stocks though. If the rifle shoots well and the stock is comfortable to you I would get a better shooting set up before I started changing things on the rifle or cutting up a good stock.

Basic Member
    Choate tactical is an option. I contacted them and it should be a direct swap with the DBM and all. That gives you the front rail to slide and adjust elevation. You should net a profit selling the HS stock.

I'll take a look at the Choate. I'm not sure if I made my problem clear. I realize that I can rest the front on anything higher than the bottom of the back bottom and adjust elevation. If I could shoot well enough not having the back end held by anything but my shoulder, the flat bottom wouldn't be an issue. However, I use a a combination of bi-pod, sand bag, or a adjustable rest for the front and typically adjust for elevation by sliding the small bag either toward the pistol grip for more elevation or toward the rear for less. The HS stock's flat bottom prevents much elevation change. I might be shooting PD's from 100 to 500 yards.

Go to Protector bag web site and look through their bags, then call them and explain your issue. They will make you whatever you want.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I think you need a to use your hand around the rear bag and squeeze(apply pressure) or relax your grip to make small adjustments elevation. Adjust your bi-pod for bigger adjustments. Once you master this form you'll never want a stock that is angled again. That straight stock helps tremendously in recoil management. As the bi-pod is loaded before the shot and the rear bag is squeezed and you shoot, the rifle will stay on target . It don't get any better than this. The more precision stocks are made to ride the rear bag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gulf60 View Post
    I'll take a look at the Choate. I'm not sure if I made my problem clear. I realize that I can rest the front on anything higher than the bottom of the back bottom and adjust elevation. If I could shoot well enough not having the back end held by anything but my shoulder, the flat bottom wouldn't be an issue. However, I use a a combination of bi-pod, sand bag, or a adjustable rest for the front and typically adjust for elevation by sliding the small bag either toward the pistol grip for more elevation or toward the rear for less. The HS stock's flat bottom prevents much elevation change. I might be shooting PD's from 100 to 500 yards.
    Learn to squeeze the rear bag, it's that simple. Set up your elevation to what you think will be your longest shot. Then, as you squeeze the rear bag (front of ears) you'll see the crosshairs drop because the stock is riding higher in the bag. How much squeeze you give it will dictate how much elevation change. You may have to play with the amount of sand in your rear bag, no biggie.

Edit to add.....Chukarmandoo beat me by a hair on the reply
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 06-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I think you need a to use your hand around the rear bag and squeeze(apply pressure) or relax your grip to make small adjustments elevation. Adjust your bi-pod for bigger adjustments. Once you master this form you'll never want a stock that is angled again. That straight stock helps tremendously in recoil management. As the bi-pod is loaded before the shot and the rear bag is squeezed and you shoot, the rifle will stay on target . It don't get any better than this. The more precision stocks are made to ride the rear bag.
    +1.......
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Learn to squeeze the rear bag, it's that simple. Set up your elevation to what you think will be your longest shot. Then, as you squeeze the rear bag (front of ears) you'll see the crosshairs drop because the stock is riding higher in the bag. How much squeeze you give it will dictate how much elevation change. You may have to play with the amount of sand in your rear bag, no biggie.

Edit to add.....Chukarmandoo beat me by a hair on the reply
    roger that...................
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}