Thread: Model 11 youth 243 for build? New 269$ at dicks

Model 11 youth 243 for build? New 269$ at dicks

Dicks has one for $269 with scope package. Looks like a 20" barrel and accu trigger. Really want a 223 for paper as I own 2 ar's and have brass and other reloading components. I just bought a hog hunter in 308 and plan on a b&c stock and brake to shoot paper. Should a buy this and rebarrel in 223 varmint or bull and Boyd's stock. Or maybe just keep the barrel and just a new stock?
    how many rounds can you shoot with such a small barrel before accuracy suffers in what length of time? I would also need a new bolt face but it seems to cost about 25$ and I could sell the stock, barrel, and optics to get a little money back.
    the youth stock has the same plastic blind mag as the hog hunter .308 (plastic) will that cause any problems when time to replace either stock?
    Last edited by bzajdek; 06-12-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Location

Violentstreak
    I can answer that barrel questions for you I think.

On that barrel, I have a 22'' sporter on my model 14 in 308, its only good for 1 shot group (3 rounds) every 5 to 7 minutes. The shorter barrel on a 243 I imagine will build more heat in one group, so you may be looking at an extended cool down. I went with the model 14 because I thought I wanted a nice wood stock, it sits in a choate synthetic stock now, and is getting a varmint contour barrel in the near future but at the time, my options for a left hander were limited.

269 is a steal for the action though, If I could find a left hander for that price locally I would buy two. IT would have been a much smarter route than the one I took but its a lesson I had to learn the hard way, I didn't listen to any of the good advice I was told. If you want my .02, buy that and rebuild it!

Bought it, will sell off the youth stock, barrel, 2 piece mount rings and scope. Not much luck finding a 223 barrel used, I would also need a new bolt head which are on back order at 2 of the biggest internet sites. Maybe get a McGowan outlet barrel for $325 in the future and looking at stocks too. Was contemplating getting a wildcat 6.5mm or 243 ackley barrel and not change the bolt head but I have brass and bullets and crappy lee dies for my ar's so I would have some components already and no guns over .224 for hunting coyote which I don,t really plan to do anyway, my range only goes out to 200 yards also.

Basic Member
    Join savage shooters (paying member) then post a WTB add in the classifieds. This is what I did. I scored a nice 26" varmint contoured fluted take off barrel. The guys on this forum are top notch and very helpful. It's well worth the 15 bucks.
    By the way welcome to savage shooters.
    Josh

Odindad
    I second that. Best $15 I ever spent on the internet. Paid for itself quickly.

Basic Member
    That's is a great deal!! Congrats and Welcome.

Already a paid member, not sure if I should stay with a 243 cartridge to avoid bolt change. I have brass dies and bullets for 223 and only shoot to 200 yards

Basic Member
    Just so you know, the 243 bolt is the same as the 308, 7-08, 260 Rem, and others I believe.
    NRA Life Member

The bolt head change isn't that big of a deal, then you'll be able to run the 223 like you want.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    Has anyone actually seen or bought one of these fabled $269 model 11 youth rifles? I stopped by Dick's yesterday and got a blank stare from the gun counter guy (not that that's all that unusual). If so do you have a part number or Dick's SKU?
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevM View Post
    Has anyone actually seen or bought one of these fabled $269 model 11 youth rifles? I stopped by Dick's yesterday and got a blank stare from the gun counter guy (not that that's all that unusual). If so do you have a part number or Dick's SKU?
    No kidding! I'd buy a couple if I could find them.

Basic Member
    found an Axis online for 369 in a 243win. Maybe the OP made a mistake on the price. Or maybe his Dick's had one collecting dust and decided to get rid of it.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Violentstreak
    FWIW: For varmints and a range toy, 223 is the bees knees. If you want to reload for it, your still using half the powder and cheaper pills. If you aren't reloading, the cost per round is half of that and less than 243. Just my .02, I would get that bolt head. You might try it direct from savage, just get a serial number from someone to look up the part #

When in need of a .223 (.373) diameter bolt head go to PTG Pacific tool and gage and get one of there bolt heads.Way better than stock.Your choice of mcgowen should be a real shooter or a criterion if mcgowen is out.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

This was old stock on clearance, it was marked down that isn't the regular price. I am still waiting their 7 day waiting period is more like 14 they must only do paperwork once a week.

Basic Member
    Buy all they have at that price. Sell them to your buddies here. :)