Thread: Boyds stock and Timney trigger troubles

Alleycat

Boyds stock and Timney trigger troubles

Has anybody here with a Boyds stocked Axis tried installing a Timney trigger? The reason I ask is I just tried installing one and I just cant get it to work.
    It seems the Boyd stock does not have the clearance required for the Timney. Once I tighten the assembly into the stock pressure is put on the trigger assembly and act as if the trigger is being held not allowing it to cock. Anyone run into this?

Cheers
    A

Basic Member
    I had it happen with the original trigger. The screw I had used in my spring mod would bottom out. I ended up using a set screw without a head. Not sure what you'd have to do with a Timney.

I used a pan head screw when I did my trigger and ran into the same problem. I ended up dremeling out the stock to clear it. Just make sure you'll be able to leave enough meat there for the the trigger guard screw to bite into. Speaking of that, I think I ground off the point of the screw too to shorten it enough.

Basic Member
    Every time I've installed a Timney on a rifle I have had to open up the stock inletting to make it work. I'd guess everyone upgrading to a Timney else has had the same experience. It's an easy enough job; just observe carefully where the extra room is needed and proceed slowly.

Alleycat
    OK thanks guys. Unforunatly it's meets where the tip of the rear trigger gaurd screw protrudes so the screw will have to be shortened as well. Then again maybe I can shim the trigger gaurd a little. Anyway IMO anyone considering a Timney trigger should just go with the G2 mod and take the wife out to dinner with the money you save...

I concur. The Timney wouldn't work in my Tacticool until I did some more inletting. It still didn't feel as good as a $100 trigger should compared to a shimmed and trimmed factory trigger.

jasta
    I had huge issues with my fitting, but after reading this thread I went out and gave it another go. I ended up putting washers under the trigger guard as the trigger was hitting the guard and I couldn't get the bolt release to drop enough to get the bolt out. Its working like a new one... Thanks Allycat!

Cheers

Jas
    Last edited by jasta; 06-14-2014 at 08:27 AM.

randyjrr
    "Anyway IMO anyone considering a Timney trigger should just go with the G2 mod and take the wife out to dinner with the money you save..."

What is the g2 mod?
    I'm asking because I was just about to purchase a Timney and decided to check here first

04silvy
    Hes referring to the G2 gel pen spring mod. People have been using these springs with pretty good results. I think somewhere around 4lb trigger pulls. I have one waiting to try it out as well..but want to put a few more rounds downrange with the stock setup.

Edzzed
    I bought a rifle basix and it's fine. I have zero complaints with fit or finish or anything else about it. Also have a Boyd's stock