Thread: 16fhss feeding issues, bolt head is catching action

BRvalley

16fhss feeding issues, bolt head is catching action

new member here, was referred to this site as the "know everything savage" resource...I have a 16fhss in 260rem purchased last week, unfired yet (waiting on scope) but have cycled rounds at the range...the bolt head is catching on the action when I feed, I was already planning to order a PTG bolt body kit, and from my understanding the bolt diameter is .700 vs .690 I measured on the factory bolt

I'm not sure if the new bolt/diameter will help eliminate this play and bolt will feed better, it is reported to remove some of the sloppy feeling....or do I need to ship the action off to be trued as well?

hoping to have this rig ready to hunt aug 15th, as of now I have to consciously hold the bolt handle just right to feed nicely without catching, minor nuisance and fine for targets but not what I want for hunting

any feedback here?

thanks

Basic Member
    Just for S&G loosen both action screws and try it.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

jb6.5
    I've run into this a few times. You can take the corner edge of the action where the bolt face is catching off. Carefully use a small file, then clean it up with sandpaper .
    Done one just like it a few days ago.

Know the feeling... I had an old 16 that was smooth but the action was well used and was hard to feed without being perfect... any slight alignment issues meant it would bind.

There were some suggestions regarding shimming the bolt or something but my PTG Bolt body didnt really help much as the flutes just made it worse.

I see you have the SSS Fluted bolt and they have been better for me in the past... I had a new 10 .223 that once fitted with the new body was slick as anything!...

I had to get rid of my Action as I couldn't deal with the binding issues....Would be nice to be in the USA where I could just get a new Varmint action.

Also the longer bolt handle made things worse.... Think it just increased the angle and pressure on the bind.

As has been mentioned, you can just round off or bevel that edge with a small file. Basically it's happening because you're putting downward pressure on the bolt handle when you're sliding it forward, which with the loose fitting nature of the Savage design causes the bolt head to lift and catch that lip. A PT&G bolt body won't fix or reduce the problem at all.

Also, any bolt body with spiral fluting is prone to a similar problem as the sharp edges of the spiral flutes will catch on the rear bridge as you try to slide the bolt forward or back and cause it to want to rotate with the spiral and bind. Fred found that out a long time ago which is why SSS doesn't offer spiral fluted bolts.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

ahaa.... yes... That would be why!!

I found this very frustrating!

I can feel another 22-250 build coming on!!