Thread: Good night vision scope

Good night vision scope

What in your opinion is a good night vision scope in maybe the $1K to $3K range. I have a DPMS and might go boar hunting at night and would love to swap the scope out to a night vision scope. Just looking for opinions.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Re: Good night vision scope

Bump for interest
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

I have found a few, but I want to make sure I get one that has everyone's approval from SS.com!!!!!! ;D
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Peter_Kirch

ATN seems to be the best bet for weapon mounted night vision

Basic Member

My neighbor has a atn Aries mk 7750 he used it maybe 2 hours that he wants to sell cheap
    if you do a search for night vision you will find the post I made with all the specs
    I was asking what it was worth. It was $2800 when he bought it . Let me know if your intrested and I'll get a price for you
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

Don - LongRangeSupply

If the quality of ATN nightvision is anything like their regular scopes - RUN FOREST RUN!

Peter_Kirch

Well Ideally you&#39;d have your day scope of choice(preferably a nice brand) and then get the nighvision that mounts on a rail in front of the objective.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Kirch
    Well Ideally you&#39;d have your day scope of choice(preferably a nice brand) and then get the nighvision that mounts on a rail in front of the objective.
    I think you meant to say BEHIND the ocular not in front of the objective......

A night vision device for a scope or even a red dot sight, needs to mount behind the eyepiece or ocular. I am not saying such a thing doesn&#39;t exiat , but have never seen an NV device that mounts out in front of regular scopes or red dots.

A compact 2nd or 3rd Gen monocular that will attach to the eyepiece of your favorite scope, can be mounted on a rail on your flat top AR with a red dot sight in front of it, or mounted on a headband or helmet where you can use it for walking around would be my first choice rather than a dedicated NV riflescope.

Peter_Kirch

Quote Originally Posted by Too may Savages, is that possible?
    I think you meant to say BEHIND the ocular not in front of the objective......

Now I don&#39;t have any proof of this as I have only played around with a couple different night vision scopes that my friend has. So I am NOT the resident expert but I have spent some time poking around the internet trying to find the best solutions.

yes they do have the monoculars that mount behind sights that have long eye relief (such as the eotech HWS). But I was thinking in my mind that he would have a hunting scope of some sort where 3" of eye relief would not be enough room to mount the scope. Instead you have NVD&#39;s such as the ATN PS22. That way you can rely on quality optics from, say, vortex and then get the Gen 2 or 3 NVD that mounts ahead of that. Otherwise if you are going for 100 yards or less then a a typical monocular mounted behind some kind of reflex sight would be a good choice. And the reason both those choices would be better than a scope with integrated nightvision would be that you do not have to switch scopes and have to re-zero, etc....
    Also you may want to decide how far out you want to see.
    I have heard it explained that you can clearly make out a deer sized object at:
    Gen 1: 100 yds
    Gen 2: 200 yds
    Gen 3: 300 yds
    Gen 4: 400 yds

and Too many savages, I think we are arguing about agreeing :D

like I said I am not close to an expert I am just interested in night vision so if I am wrong please call me out.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Interesting....have never seen a set up like that. I have seen a lot with the NV attached to the eyepiece which would be a lot easier to do on a bolt action.

For low cost you can go with a MUM14 and get an adaptor to mount it behind your scope. But its only good for calibers up to 223 will not take the recoil and you need a good illuminator. Or go with a rifle scope like the D740 or D760 still need good illuminator. Check out the link. CAUTION they are addictive like suppressor.
    Bob

http://tnvc.com/home.html