Thread: PVGC Smallbore Silhouette Rimfire Competition: (Reno, NV)

Das Capitolin

PVGC Smallbore Silhouette Rimfire Competition: (Reno, NV)

Palomino Valley Gun Club is hosting rimfire (.22 LR/.17 HM2) matches at the Regional Shooting Facility located near Pyramid Lake in Reno, Nevada.

The PVGC smallbore silhouette rimfire match is designed for all shooter skill levels, and features NRA hunter pistol targets engaged at four separate distances in three positions. This match will teach shooter’s firearm safety, proper range etiquette, and basic marksmanship skills. The course of fire will be challenging enough to promote growth, and enable graduation into other disciplines. This squaded individual match is for any rimfire rifle or pistol, typically in .22 LR. Shooter’s may select a class that best suits their interest: Metallic Sight Unsupported, Magnified Sight Unsupported, or Open Sight with Artificial Support.

Participation is FREE for all junior shooters, $5 adult members, $10 adult non-members.

Match Schedule (2014)

• Saturday 3/22 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Sunday 4/20 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Saturday 5/31 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Sunday 6/29 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Saturday 7/19 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Saturday 8/30 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Sunday 9/21 (FREE to ALL juniors)
    • Sunday 11/2 (FREE to ALL juniors)

Shooters must be present for the 9AM safety briefing to participate. Late arrivals must wait to receive the safety briefing at the next convenient time.
    Contact Olin Coles for details: olincoles@palominogunclub.org 775-544-6563

Match details are available here: Smallbore Silhouette Match Description

Course of Fire Details

• String #1: fire ten rounds in five minutes at chicken targets 40m/44y away using a standing position.
    • Short break to score and reset targets
    • String #2: fire ten rounds in five minutes at peccary (pig) targets 60m/66y away using a sitting/kneeling position.
    • String #3: fire ten rounds in five minutes at turkey targets 77m/84y away using a prone position.
    • String #4: fire ten rounds in five minutes at sheep targets 100m/109y away using any position.
    • Conduct shoot-off if necessary
    • Short break to clear firearms and equipment from the line
    • Collect targets and announce match winners.

Allowed cartridges:

• .17 and .22 air gun pellet
    • .17 HM2 (plastic tip only)
    • .22 BB Cap, .22 CB Cap
    • .22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Long Rifle
    • .22 WRF

Prohibited cartridges:

• .17 HMR
    • .22 WMR
    • .22 Hornet
    • 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum
    • No steel or armor piercing allowed
    • No tracer ammunition allowed

Last edited by Das Capitolin; 08-23-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Das Capitolin
    The next Smallbore Silhouette rimfire match is right around the corner: 9AM Sunday 6/29. Spare rifles are available for loan and ammunition for purchase if you need it, plus juniors will shoot for FREE at this event. The weather is supposed to be warm with minimal wind, so it should be a very fun day for shooting! http://palominogunclub.org/262/small...houette-match/

Das Capitolin
    I just received word that Sportman's Warehouse in Reno has 222-round boxes of Winchester .22 LR ammo in stock for $13.49 each. Limit one per person, but over forty remained as of 10:30 AM today.

JCalhoun
    Cool.

Das Capitolin
    Match Results: 29 June 2014

With new shooters from Carson City and Sacramento, we had record competitor turn-out for our June match which brought high scores and several tie-breaker shoot-off’s. Twenty shooters shared in perfect weather, and two competitors achieved the highest score the smallbore silhouette rimfire match has recorded with 39 of 40 possible. If this event continues to grow in popularity, we may be starting earlier in the morning!

Many shooters did well enough to become ranked with a difficulty enhancement, while others sharpened their game and moved up a class. Overall the match was a huge success, and shooters of all ages did extremely well. With new difficulty enhancements comes bigger challenges at the next match, which is scheduled with a 9AM start time on Saturday 7/19. Show up early at 8AM if you would like to help set-up the course and enjoy some practice shooting!

Official match results

Last edited by Das Capitolin; 06-29-2014 at 10:10 PM.

fartsinpublic
    Congrats on your 39/40!

Pesky chicken!

Das Capitolin
    Quote Originally Posted by fartsinpublic View Post
    Congrats on your 39/40!

Pesky chicken!
    GAH!!! It's a full week later, and I'm still upset that I missed just one (chicken) on the closest target line!

fartsinpublic
    Are those 3/8 scale targets? I think we shoot the same size here in Hawaii. I've joined three matches so far and loving it.

Good going on getting the youth involved. Can't wait til my older kid joins me. He's 6 and shoots his Rascal off a bipod but has been asking me to teach him how to shoot offhand. Tomorrow he'll watch the match, and I bet he wants to start trying silhouette too.

Das Capitolin
    Our smallbore silhouette isn't the same as the NRA's version. This game uses NRA Hunter Pistol targets, and the chicken silhouette is this one: http://palominogunclub.org/wp-conten...tte-Target.pdf

fartsinpublic
    Our range is also non-NRA, fortunately. :) It is IHMSA, with Smallbore rifle added in. There are pics of our range and target setup here: http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/...php?f=1&t=8908 They have a right and left bank of each animal (10+10), and the four distances are all in line. Let's them get a total of four shooters going at the same time... Two on the left, and two on the right, each shooter on the two near or two far distances.

These are the Smallbore targets that we shoot: http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...silhtar-09.pdf http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...silhtar-10.pdf

I like the added positions you guys have. I think my kid would enjoy that. He likes changing things up every so often (vs always doing the same position), so I think I might just come up with a silhouette routine for him to get him started in the game, that has him cycling through various positions at different distances.

Seeing your thread and nice range makes me want to drop in... Not sure how to plan a layover there, but who knows.

Das Capitolin
    The silhouette targets you linked to are NRA smallbore silhouette, which are extremely small. I've shot the NRA smallbore silhouette match (standing 40/60/77/100 meters), and it was not what I consider shooter friendly. It's more of a high-end competitor game that requires top-end equipment and skills.
    We use the NRA hunter pistol targets, which match the ones pictured in the thread you linked to. They're easier to see/hit, which makes it fun for novice shooters and allows for an iron sight division. The winds in our area are constant, so compensating for wind drift is sometimes required even at the 40m chicken line. The worst wind I've seen required me to hold 14" off target center to compensate, using CCI Blazer .22 LR ammo.
    Overall, I think I've put together a fun yet challenging course that allows four shooters to be firing at the same time. We typically see four squads of four or five shooters, but the event gets bigger with each match.

Das Capitolin
    REMINDER: the next smallbore silhouette rimfire match takes place this coming Saturday, July 19th at 9AM. Show up early if you'd like to help set-up the course and get some practice in.

Das Capitolin
    Match Results: 19 July 2014

The wind was blowing from start to finish, but that didn't stop a few shooters from moving up to a more difficult rank. Occasional gusts pushed the top scores down, with the highest hitting 34 of 40 possible with most others in the high twenties. Other shooters (especially me) were competing with a brand new rifle and made adjustments on the fly, but still managed to finish with a decent score. All in all, it was a competitive day with very close final scores.

Smallbore Silhouette Rimfire Shooting Match Results

There will be a smallbore silhouette practice held on Sunday 8/3. The next smallbore silhouette rimfire match is on Saturday 8/30. Arrive by 8AM for early practice shooting, or by 9AM for the match safety brief.

Das Capitolin
    With .22 LR ammunition finally hitting store shelves again, hopefully we'll have a large turnout to our smallbore silhouette rimfire matches. The next event is Saturday, 8/30. We've also added one more match to finish the season: Sunday, 11/2.

Das Capitolin
    Match Results: 30 August 2014

The August match was a blessing for some, and a curse for others. Shooting at the 100-meter targets in breezy conditions caused a few shooters to lose their expert ranking, while others took advantage of the unqualified status and will now receive a difficulty enhancement. The first half of the match delivered perfect conditions, followed by strong winds and fierce occasional gusts. Many competitors were challenged by the wind, but everybody had a good time shooting.
    Scores and Ranking: http://palominogunclub.org/307/small...match-results/
    The next smallbore silhouette rimfire match will be held on Sunday 9/21. Arrive before 8AM for early practice shooting, or before 9AM for the match safety brief. Don't forget: an extra match has been added to the season on Sunday 11/02.

Das Capitolin
    Hello Shooters:

Just a quick reminder that the next Smallbore Silhouette rimfire match is coming this weekend: Sunday 9/21. Arrive for early shooting at 8AM, or 9AM for the match safety briefing. Don Johnson will be directing this match in my absence.

Since there are no matches in October, I’ll see you all for the season finale on Sunday 11/2. Good luck this weekend!

http://palominogunclub.org/262/small...h-description/

Das Capitolin
    Match Results: 21 September 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Johnson
    The match turned out OK in spite of the fact that I thought we were going to be rained out... it was raining pretty good as we set up and I figured that there wouldn't be much of a turn out due to that. Had a total of 10 shooters. The weather turned out to be great after all... Kind of overcast, so not hot, no rain during the match, VERY little wind!

All scores and ranking posted here: http://palominogunclub.org/307/small...match-results/

REMEMBER: Since there is no smallbore match in October, the season finale is scheduled for Sunday 11/2. Get there early at 8AM for practice, or by 9AM for the match.

Das Capitolin

Last .22 Match of 2014! (Reno NV)

9AM SUNDAY 11/2: the last and final .22 match of 2014! I hope to see you all out there, ready for a day of fun to finish out the season. Practice shooting begins at 8AM, with competition starting promptly at 9AM. Plus, now you can bring a second gun and essentially compete twice:

2nd Gun Rule
    With approval of the Match Director, this event allows for contestants to enter a second unique gun into competition at the expense of an additional entry cost. The second gun may not be a modification of the first gun entered, and must fire an allowed cartridge as defined in the Ammunition Policy. This second gun may be pistol or rifle, of either metallic or magnified shooter class. A contestant may only receive one award per shooter class entered.

You can read the complete event description here: http://palominogunclub.org/262/small...h-description/

Das Capitolin
    Season Finale Match Results: 02 November 2014

It was one for the record books! The weather had been wet and windy leading up to the very cold day of our season's final rimfire match, so nobody expected strong attendance. But when thirty shooters arrived for competition, we went BIG and had a great time.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in our smallbore silhouette matches, but most especially to those few people who show up early every match to help set-up and stay late to help put everything away. These events are fueled by your efforts, and clearly you've helped to make them fun and enjoyable.

I'm happy to see this event grow so quickly, and I've got some improvements ready for next season when we return in late March, 2015. I hope to see you then!

Match Results: http://palominogunclub.org/307/small...match-results/